Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 9:47:43 AM EDT
What are the differences between the two?  I'm still learning about bolt actions; I saw a brand new 700 BDL with a 26" heavy barrel and HS precision stock for around $565 yesterday. It was a good looking gun, but since I was holding out for a PSS I wanted to find out if there would be much difference between the two.  

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:07:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Not much besides markings.

Get teh BDL with much less hassel and have it pillar & glass bedded at McMillian into one of their M40Ax stocks.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
The stock is considerably different.  That is about it.  The contour of the barrel may technically be different but if you are looking at the .308 it won't matter much.

Other than that the actions are identical, assuming you get an older BDL.  The new BDL's have some screwy safety and a j-lock child lock system.

If you get the newer BDL, the safeties may be an issue.

The PSS has the old style lever safety that just flips up and down.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out the senderos too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:57:22 AM EDT
[#4]
what are you using the rifle for?? hunting? target shooting??

i happen to have one of the Rem700 LTR chambered in the .223 (1:9 twist with a 20" fluted barrel)  

it's one hell of a little rifle - quite accurate right out of the box too...

check out there other LE rifles here...
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifle/rifle.htm
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#5]
It must be the older style, as it had the flip up/down safety.  One thing that was nice was the HS precision stock.  I don't know if or how it was bedded though.

I just want a really accurate tactical rifle in .308 and this fits the bill. But for all practical purposes I will just be shooting paper with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
then i definitely suggest you look at the 700P models...

the LTR comes chambered in the .308 and there is also another .308 model that sports a 26" barrel vs. the 20" on the LTR...

worth a look if an accurate tactical rifle is what you are searching for -

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok then, what would be considered decent prices for the PSS, BDL, Sendero or the LTR?

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:11:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Detachable magazine on the PSS.  BDL's can have them but you didn't mention it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:40:32 PM EDT
[#9]
They don't put a detachable magazine on the PSS anymore.   Too many of them developed problems when trying to load a fully topped off magazine.

Between a Remington 700 VS, 700 Sendero, and PSS there isn't a whole lot of difference.    Mainly the finish applied to the PSS and the stock is the only notable difference, the PSS gets a parkarized finish and a more target oriented stock.   The VS and Sendero get a baked epoxy type finish with a more sporter type stock.   All 3 of those models though make use of the HS Precision stocks that have the aluminum bedding block, these stocks produce pretty respectable and predictable results.   They often are capable of helping a rifle produce subMOA results but compared to a properly bedded stock the fully bedded stock produces better results.

Barreled actions between the PSS models and the Sendero/VS are pretty much the same(VS is the short action and Sendero is the long action).   PSS small bores like 223Rem though get 1:9 twists while the VS is 1:12 twist if I remember my data correct.

I just picked up a used(only 100 rounds fired) PSS 300WinMag with bases/rings for 600 dollars shipped to my FFL.   The PSS usually demands a little bit more money because the stocks are generally favored more but a BDL/VS for 565 seems sorta in the ball park.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#10]
You may encounter a gay ass bolt safety which is not present on the 700(P).  Police rifles don't need no stupid extra safety crap.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL, that is too true.

Part of the reason I went with a PSS was so that I could get a non-PC attacked bolt shroud.   Same went for my 870Police so I could get away from the stupid PC safety and the dimples inside the mag tube to limit mag capacity.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL, that is too true.

Part of the reason I went with a PSS was so that I could get a non-PC attacked bolt shroud.   Same went for my 870Police so I could get away from the stupid PC safety and the dimples inside the mag tube to limit mag capacity.
View Quote

Yup, I had a 870 police factory folder, 11/87 police and 700(P).  If they sell it you can buy it.  
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
purchased my LTR at a gun show - about 725$
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
If you plan on keeping the rifle stock and not doing anything else to it get the PSS.  If you're like me and will probably get some customization on it from a good riflesmith to make the rifle fit your personal preferences, get the BDL.  No sense paying more for things you'll likely change anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top