Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2003 7:17:05 AM EDT
I had a pool installed a few years ago.  They installed an in-ground auto-filler that is located in the concrete deck and plumbed into the pool and they stubbed it so I could plumb it the way I wanted.  I had told them not to hook it up since I didn't like their method.
Well, after years of procrastination, I plumbed it in on Saturday and everything seemed okay, until I noticed that it was still running this morning.  It is basically a float-valve like in a toilet.
Apparently when I was adjusting it, I overtorqued it and cracked the female part at the base of the well.  There was a restrictor plate and screen.  (there was a lot of crud in the screen)  I assume there must be a way to fix this because otherwise why would they have a screen installed in there unless they intended that it would never be changed?
Is this easy to fix?
Do I need to remove the entire well?  How? If so, how do I diconnect and reconnect the plumbing to the pool and to the waterline under the well?
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I had told them not to hook it up since I didn't like their method.
View Quote

You're right. Your method sounds a lot better.

Just kidding man...I couldn't resist. Good luck on getting it fixed.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Clarification: I did not like the way they were going to route the plumbing through the yard.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
just throw the damn hose in the pool every couple days or so... are you that lazy???
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Never seen one.  Sounds like you got a real problem. I just got done spending $4,000 to fix a leak from the kitchen drain.  It was under the foundation and they had to jack hammer my kitchen floor up to fix it. I just fill my pool with a garden hose once a month in the winter and about once a week in the summer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw it. I told him he should add a unit into the flowerbed, and tap off of the water line that passes through the current autofill...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, since I installed and filled my pool last year, all I've been doing is draining water off.

Rain, rain, rain.  Rain, rain, rain.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#8]
UPDATE:
I was able to drill and feel around the fitting.
I now need a 3/4 inch inner-diameter coupler. (basically a short pipe that has an outer diameter of 3/4")  LT?
These are NOT at Home Depot.
Help me find one pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez!

Also, I need an adapter to go to the 3/4" threads on a new PVC fitting, to the auto-filler assembly.  These threads can be found on all auto-fillers that screw into the bottom of your tank on your toilet.

Again, Home Depot does not have an adapter or PVC fitting to connect to it!!!
[:(]
Help me find an adapter pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez!
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:21:27 AM EDT
[#9]
try [url]www.mcmaster.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 6:53:17 AM EDT
[#10]
DAMMIT!!!
This material appears to be nylon!
But inside the nylon appears to be black pipe.
Hopefully I can attach to the black pipe with PVC cement!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok.  I bought a schedule 80 1/2" nipple.  Had it turned down on the lathe by a guy at work.  This piece fixed the problem and gave me standard male NPT threads at the bottom of the well.  Then I had the guy make the female "bastard threads" using a 3/4" schedule 80 nipple and a 1" around it to give it extra thickness. Then I got a Female-Female 3/4"-1/2" NPT reducing fitting and connected the two pieces.
The guy told me the threads were non-standard on purpose!
The NPT part is not necessary but I wanted unieversal fittings in case there are future problems.  I could have easily had him make an entire 1 piece female bastard thread with 3/4" OD stub for the repair though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top