Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2003 3:19:49 AM EDT
I don't believe this is a cloned topic...unbelievable story!! I'd love to learn more about this little guy and see if we could organize something to say "THANK YOU" to him.

[url]http://www.tennessean.com/local/archives/03/05/33153689.shtml?Element_ID=33153689[/url]

Cub Scout crawls grave to grave, honoring the dead

BILL STEBER / STAFF
James Milam,10, hops out of his wheelchair to place flags in front of gravestones in a section of the Nashville National Cemetery honoring veterans whose bodies were never recovered. Milam, with Pack 459 in White House, joined dozens of Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts who placed more than 30,000 flags on the graves for Memorial Day.

By HOLLY EDWARDS
Staff Writer

10-year-old ditches wheelchair to plant flags in front of headstones

Pivoting his body with his right arm and holding a neon-green ruler in his left hand, James Milam, 10, crawled from grave to grave at Nashville National Cemetery yesterday morning, carefully placing an American flag exactly one foot from each gravestone.

The energetic fourth-grader took the task seriously.

''I don't think that's straight at all,'' he said, holding the ruler to a flag and making a minor adjustment. ''There, that's better.''

With that pronouncement, James swung back into his wheelchair, rolled to the cemetery roadway and sped off to another section of gravestones. On the way, he talked about the new wheelchair he's getting next month.

''It has green lights on the front wheels, bigger wheels in the back and black spoke guards,'' he boasted. ''I'll really fly in that one.''

Born with sacral agenesis, a rare defect in which the spine does not fully develop, James has used a wheelchair since he was 2.

The Cub Scout is known for his fervid patriotism. This is the second Memorial Day weekend that James has joined hundreds of Scouts in placing flags on all of the 34,000 gravestones at the cemetery in Madison.

Tomorrow, he will join two U.S. Marines in the annual wreath-laying ceremony at the cemetery.

''I feel like they gave their life for our freedom so we should come out and honor them for that,'' he said of the veterans buried at the cemetery. ''I just want to honor the soldiers and our country.''

Recently placed in a gifted program at Robert F. Woodall Elementary School in White House, James is intensely interested in what's happening in the world, his parents said.

''He very much understands the war we've been in, and he's very patriotic,'' said his mother, Cindi Milam. ''He's just real concerned about it all.''

His favorite songs are those about the recent wars and terrorist attacks, such as Darryl Worley's Have You Forgotten and Alan Jackson's Where Were You.

James is also an avid fan of such all-American pastimes as NASCAR, baseball, four-wheeling and fishing.

''This child is not scared to do nothin','' declared Jan Harrison, assistant den leader for James' Cub Scout patrol, the Screaming Eagles, named for the 101st Airborne Division. ''I nicknamed him the Energizer Bunny because he just keeps going and going.''

Though he dreams of being a pilot, his parents said, he has settled on becoming an air traffic controller instead.

''He knew he couldn't fly a plane, but he said he can help it land,'' said his father, Jim Milam, whose father founded Milam's Optical Service. ''He has absolutely no self-pity. If he can't do something, he figures a way around it.''

The sociable youngster is popular among his classmates and fellow Scouts.

''The boys constantly fight over who's going to be with James,'' den leader Patti Neary said. ''He is all personality.''

After spending several hours placing dozens of flags at gravestones, James admits to being tired, especially his right arm, as his father pushes him back to the car in his wheelchair. Next on the agenda is a car wash to raise money for a youth summer camp sponsored by his church, Halltown General Baptist.

''I could disable him if I smothered him, but I want him to do everything he can do and be independent,'' Cindi Milam said. ''From the night he was born, I felt God had a higher calling for him. We're blessed to have such a happy child.''

Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:18:34 AM EDT
[#1]
What a kid [beer]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
That story is local.  Story made the front page of Nashville's Sunday paper.  Kids hot some heart.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Just when you start wondering about this younger generation along comes a kid like this who puts a lump in your throat and shows we don't have much to worry about.

Big thumbs-up to his parents, too!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:54:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I will gladly make a contribution or what ever is needed for this little boy.

Great story and thanks GMP
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
While this story is a real warm and fuzzy story. I was hoping for something much cooler when I read the headline "boy crawls from grave to grave."

I thought we would get something like

[b]"Zombie boy crawls from grave to grave looking for his casket...... or looking for a fresh brain to eat."[/b]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just when you start wondering about this younger generation along comes a kid like this who puts a lump in your throat and shows we don't have much to worry about.

Big thumbs-up to his parents, too!
View Quote

That's exactly what I thought when I read this.

''I feel like they gave their life for our freedom so we should come out and honor them for that,'' he said of the veterans buried at the cemetery. ''I just want to honor the soldiers and our country.''
View Quote

And he's just in fourth grade.  All is not lost.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
One hell of a kid. He gives me hope for the future. I doubt I could measure up to what he has done.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]

speechless
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell of a tough kid, I wish I could meet him. Maybe I should look him up & see if there is anything he or his pack needs, White House is only about 20 minutes away from me.

Little fella makes me proud to be a Tennessean.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
There IS hope.

Thank you for reminding us.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm kinda tight with my money right now, but I'd gladly contribute to a "thank you" for this little man in a heartbeat!  What a kickass kid!

He needs a BM 16" LW carbine....
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:11:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
...He needs a BM 16" LW carbine....
View Quote

LOL!  I dunno about that, but some money in a little fund for his education might not be a bad idea.  $5 from half the members of this board would pay for a lotta college.  Wish we had more kids like him.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]
That's one good kid.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:04:26 AM EDT
[#16]
[beer]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#17]
''I feel like they gave their life for our freedom so we should come out and honor them for that,''
View Quote

The kid gets it.

So many politicians, athletes, mom's -n- dads, and other people don't get it.

James Gets it.

Way to go James.
[img]http://www.frugalsquirrels.com/ubb/graemlins/animatedsalute.gif[/img]
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top