Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 2/2/2001 4:59:32 PM EDT
I'm still cleaning out my underwear from this one!! I took my 4 month old Oly out in the desert tonight to test my new flat top sight. On the 17th rd. There was a different feel to the gun as it recoiled and since I shoot left handed I saw alot of crap that wasn't brass go flying by my face. My hand was hit and bled a little, nothing serious. My shooting glasses stopped anything from hitting my eyes. I looked at the ejection port and here is my bolt still in the in-battery position but my carrier is locked back!! I snapped the bolt off dead center of where the key hole is(if that what you call the big hole that has the "key" go through it) It has a nice perfect break all the way around the two bolt pieces. I was shooting LC military ball ammo so that shouldn't have caused it. Do you think that Olympic Arms will stand behind it. I bought it at a Gun Show in November and the genleman said he would send me the manual and warranty card in the mail since he forgot them at home, yeah right!! Am I out an AR bolt or will Oly come around for me?? Idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 5:34:49 PM EDT
That sucks. [:(] Is your Oly a factory gun? Are you sure that it was Oly's bolt? Ask them - It usually doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:01:28 PM EDT
Maybe I didnt read it good enough but the key broke right? I`ve seen a couple of key pins break and they do something similar to what I think you described. That pin gets a real workout and I replace mine evry couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:11:44 PM EDT
Dang! You're very lucky! Call OLY asap. Sounds like you had a bad bolt. Now the carrier and cam pin are also suspect. I would insist OLY give me a whole new bolt group and check the headspace. Then as soon as I got it, I would dump it on the web and buy one from BM or Colt!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:49:03 PM EDT
That would scare the shit out of me.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:16:52 PM EDT
Good luck in trying to get anything from Tom Spitballer, you might try talking to him about it at the next G-show but he will totally deny OLY as being responsible and will not give you a new bolt and carrier. But you can try.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:20:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:35:31 PM EDT
Rich314, it was the actual bolt that split right in the ceneter of the key hole, so I have a two piece bolt instead a one piece, the front half and the back half. The hole setup is a stock oly unit. So I hope they are willing to stand behind their product. I can use my wifes pre ban bushy v-match for this weekends shooting fix but I would like to have it operational for the next weekend. I'll keep you guys updated. idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 7:50:41 PM EDT
Man are you lucky....glad you weren't badly injured. Hope you can get them to stand behind it. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:10:17 PM EDT
I have a preban Oly that had a similar problem, only I caught it before failure. There was a hairline crack I noticed on one side of the bolt, due to a small pock mark about the size of a pinhead. I'm glad I found it, or I would have had a similar experience I guess. I replaced it with a Bushmaster bolt. This really makes you wonder about their quality control. [V]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:16:10 PM EDT
My Sendar full auto conversion did the same thing. Chromed carrier/bolt. Started having all kinds of jamming action. Took apart and bolt was split separated on one side and hairling crack on other side. Dropped in a new Bushymaster bolt and off to the races again
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:23:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:23:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 9:46:36 PM EDT
Stokes, I apreciate the offer but I think you've got the wrong guy. Idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 10:37:48 PM EDT
Wrong guy or not, it's refreshing to see a man stand up and do the right thing!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 11:01:43 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:21:05 AM EDT
my old Carbon 15 did the exact same thing to my buddie last week. ........... A new bolt is already on the way
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:28:55 AM EDT
Stokes, you are the MAN!! If it isn't that big of a problem to do it I will take you up on it. Please email me at idahoar15@hushmail.com with your shipping address and I'll ship out the bolt and $10 for return shipping and your problems. I guess you've got a new customer when I need parts and goodies. If you are ever in the Twin Falls area you've got a few beers coming. thanks again idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 6:40:24 AM EDT
That good of Stokes & I`ll keep that in mind. I would like to know the cause of the failure, if you find out, please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 9:42:30 AM EDT
Idaho, I'm glad your ok! Thats a bummer about your AR though. Did you buy it at the gun show in Boise or there in Twin? I think I'm going to go clean my Bushy and check things over really good now just to make sure. [BD]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 7:30:45 PM EDT
Top Top