Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/25/2003 2:23:54 PM EDT
Hey. I need to replace a light socket in my ceiling. It is the type that has the switch integrated into the light socket. Anyways, I live in an old building with old wiring that doesn't follow the standard black/white/green color scheme on the wires. Both wires leading to the old switch look the same. I have a digital multimeter and that's it as far as testing apparatus goes. So how do I figure out which wire is neutral and which one is the hot wire? Does it even matter? Thanks for any help. -Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:40:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 2:41:26 PM EDT by MickeyMouse]
In this case it doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:41:16 PM EDT
If you have a ground source you can take your digital Multimeter set it to Volts AC and check to see witch wire is hot. If you want to do this kill the power via the breaker or the fuse. Then put wire nuts on both wires. Then provieded the wire nuts are on correctly you can back probe them. If this doesn't work you may have to remove the wire nut. This can be VERY DANGEROUS. And getting hit with 110 hurts been there done that many a time. Another option is to kill all the power in the residence(just to be safe) via the main breaker. Then set the Multimeter on the coninuty setting. Then you can beep out the wires to find out witch one is connected to the circut breaker or fuse. On the other hand the light will work if you switch the hot and netrual wire.
Top Top