Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2003 1:02:04 PM EDT
I started Atkins in mid February. The last time I weighed myself before starting Atkins was in mid November, 2002. At that time I weighed 254. I seriously doubt that I lost any weight from November to February. In fact I believe I probably gained a few pounds in that time. I have only weighed myself twice since starting. Today was the second time and I now weigh 205! So, in just over 3 months I have lost about 50 pounds. SWEET!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
And your telling us this because you are typing this from the cardiac care unit at your local hospital ,right?
Just kidding congrats ,how do you feel and have you had your cholesterol checked before you started and now?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:34:49 PM EDT
[#2]
[hail] Thats two thankgiving turkeys with stuffing.

205lb is a nice weight, how low are you going to go ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
My cholesterol was slightly elevated the last time I went to the doc but I haven't been back yet since starting Atkins.

I'm 5'10" so 20 more pounds and I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I am 5 10' 218lb .

20lb thats only one more turkey more and you will be skinny. I guess that would be the idea.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#5]
My cholesterol was slightly elevated the last time I went to the doc but I haven't been back yet since starting Atkins.
View Quote

I bet next time you have it checked it will be OK.

But watch out with this post you are going to draw the ire of the nutrition wing of the Flat Earth Society.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And your telling us this because you are typing this from the cardiac care unit at your local hospital ,right?
Just kidding congrats ,how do you feel and have you had your cholesterol checked before you started and now?
View Quote

Started Protein diet Oct 2002, since then I have lost 25 lbs and am now 6'01" 180lbs. Cholesterol down to 170 total, including 51 hdl (the good kind) making 119 LDL!  

WooHoo!!![banana]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember it is not a diet but a life change if you want to keep the weight off.Me,I am a Sugar Buster.Seems like not too many people are following that plan.Works for me.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
not a diet but a life change if you want to keep the weight off.
View Quote

I've seen a few people, including me, that did well with keeping the weight off even after returning to a "normal" (high carb) diet.  Yes, it's probably best to stay on indefinitely, but you can use it temporarily to lose weight.  The weight doesn't return nearly as quickly as it does from other types of diets.

Max_Mike you hit the nail on the head with your "nutrition wing of the Flat Earth Society" comment.  My wife's doctor told my wife that you will die if you consume less than 20g of carbohydrates a day because your brain will stop functioning.  He and my wife still believe that despite seeing several people do it.  My niece is a nutritionist and has a masters from a good school.  She still believes consuming ultra-low carbs will kill you, even after being around me and seeing that isn't true.  I lost 40#, and she still claims that 40# was all water.  Of course, she also can't figure-out how I eat 5 Mcalories a day and not gain weight.  She was never taught that you gain or lose based upon the difference between what you eat and what you use.  She strongly believes that if you eat more than 2.5 Mcalories, you'll gain weight.  She won't accept the fact that's it's the difference, not the total amount.z
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Iam not part of the flat earth nutrition wingnuts but I will say this:

The Atkins diet works for some and others it causes problems. I unfortunately am one that falls under the "Caused problems" catagory.

I congratulate you on your sucess....bastard. [;)]

I have to go through the painful ... gruelling old fashioned "Eat right and excercise" routine... Its slow but its working.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm two weeks into this thing and allI have gained is pimples, green shit and roids. My toilet paper looks like it has a Christmas theme, green and red.

Just got the ketostix and have a "low" ketone level.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm two weeks into this thing and allI have gained is pimples, green shit and roids. My toilet paper looks like it has a Christmas theme, green and red.

View Quote

Thank you for playing "TOO MUCH INFORMATION!" ChristmASS boy. ROFLMAO!!!! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Unfortunately, I can't [b]DO[/b] the Atkin's diet.  I have a genetic condition called "Acute Intermittent Porphyria" that [i]requires[/i] that I have a high-carbohydrate diet, or I will have an attack.

Needless to say, it's not good for keeping my weight [b]down[/b].

Congratulations.

Damnit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top