Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/24/2003 4:41:23 PM EDT
My parent's dog, a Jack Russell Terrorist, ate about a handful of black licorice "bits". We went to the beach today, and he has been a bit quiet and lazy. He's also shivering, which he does when he gets nervous or excited. However, he's been shivering for a couple of hours. He's also panting quite a bit. He hasn't eaten, but he has had some water. Is there anything in black licorice that is toxic to dogs? Are there any stimulant-like effects of licorice? Thanks, Chimborazo
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:55:00 PM EDT
I have not heard of any problems with Dogs & black licorice. Did he get overheated today? I would just stay close to him, make sure he has plenty of water, lots of petting and talking to him. If this is still going on tomorrow (or seems to get worse), I think a trip to the Vet would be in order. Hope everything turns out ok - keep me informed! Eric
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:03:55 PM EDT
They have poison control hot lines for animals, give them a call. It may be a 900 # Google it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:06:22 PM EDT
Isn't there sugar in licorice? Maybe he's just a little hopped up. Follow Eric's advice. If he not better by tomorrow call the vet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:07:43 PM EDT
Having a Jack russel myself and realizing the size of the critter, it is possible that you have a few different situations here. First, was it a saltwater beach and did he drink that? (salt water) It will make him sick. Second, was fresh water immediately available to him the entire time you were at the beach, possible heat prostration (overheating, symptoms include shivering), third, possible constipation. Licorice is hard to digest (this is where size comes into the picture) It tends to clump together like asphalt pellets when they are paving a road. Finally, if he did have plenty of water available and was running/jumping/playing around the way Jack Russels love to do, there is a possibility of what is called "stomach flip". This usually happens when a dog has a full/heavy stomach (the organ, not the abdomen) and jumps/runs. When jumping, the inertia of whatever is inside the stomach causes it to keep moving when the body changes direction. This will cause the stomach to actually flip and cause the duodenum to pinch off like a garden hose. This is life threatening. I recommend immediately getting him to a vet. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:49:54 PM EDT
If he was active in the water a lot he may be suffering from salt water ingestion like PsyWarrior suggests.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:03:26 PM EDT
I don't know about black licorice but chocolate is very toxic to dogs. In high school on of my dogs ate several boxes of chocolate covered cherries and almost died. Took her to the vet and he basically said she will either live through the night or she won't. She did. But was very, very sick and you don't want a lawn report.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:29:43 PM EDT
If you love the dog, take it to a vet if you are worried. I hope everything works out OK for you.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:35:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chimborazo: My parent's dog, a Jack Russell Terrorist, ate about a handful of black licorice "bits". We went to the beach today, and he has been a bit quiet and lazy. He's also shivering, which he does when he gets nervous or excited. However, he's been shivering for a couple of hours. He's also panting quite a bit. He hasn't eaten, but he has had some water. Is there anything in black licorice that is toxic to dogs? Are there any stimulant-like effects of licorice? ... Thanks, Chimborazo
View Quote
Never seen s JR Terrorist...is that like Jack Russel of Great White fame? He could be labeled a terrorist. Back to reality, domestic licorice should be no problem. Its used to make some medicine/food more palatable for animals. Calf Manna (tm) is one example. Now sugar toxicity could be the problem. Why domestic? Glycyrrhizic acid is present in natural licorice flavorings but here in the US, it is not common as it is easily removed. This toxin is only associated with chronic consumption, unlikely in the acute consumption the dog experienced.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:25:38 PM EDT
I am not sure what effects licorice could have on a dog. Licorice is linked to high blood pressure, severe potassium loss, and heart problems. I know that you shouldn't eat licorice if you have high blood pressure, especially if you are on medication for it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:23:55 AM EDT
How's the dog this morning? I hope he's feeling better. Let us know.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:43:04 AM EDT
BTT ???
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:04:37 AM EDT
Let us know how your dog is doing. Hope he's back to normal by today.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:07:55 AM EDT
One of my dogs eats skittles drinks coke etc etc. I see no harm in this but it is a weird dog hes now 11 and still acts like a puppy. He eats everything I eat, not a fan of dog food. I wouldnt eat it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:07:16 PM EDT
BTT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:14:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:18:39 PM EDT
Thanks for the help...I tried to respond earlier, but couldn't get into the site. He went to the vet this morning, and it turns out that he has pancreatic inflamation. Probably a result of the licorice and the food he is on to break a kidney stone (which I didn't know he has). The stone is in the exact same condition it was when it was discovered, so they don't think that is what his current problem is. The main culprit seems to be his new food. He is in a lot of pain, but got a shot for that and they filled the little booger full of fluids to avoid dehydration. He will be going to his regular doc tomorrow for a follow-up. They gave all of the bloodwork papers and ultra-sound results to my parents, so the doc can look at that stuff too. BTW, it turns out that black licorice is not toxic to dogs. Thank you all so much for your help and concern...this is why [b]I love AR15.com!!!![/b] Sincerely, Chimborazo
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:25:25 PM EDT
GOOD LUCK and good job.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:27:19 PM EDT
I hope that the little terrorist comes through this ok (although they are very robust little dogs - I am sure he will be fine). Yeah, some of us get made fun of for how much we love our dogs - I couldn't imagine living without mine! Eric
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:32:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:56:07 PM EDT
I don't like terrorists. lets call Ashcroft and ask him to send a few Suburbans of FBI guys over to beat and cuff him before he blows up something. Because I myself am actually a dog (no my owners don't know, they like to dine out a lot and usually work from 9am to 10pm (I dont know what they do, the dude has a uniform but it only says A-U-T-O-R-E-P-A-I-R. What is that supposed to mean?) I just play Cats and Dogs 4 all day and chat with that cute Dalmatian bitch (you sick humans think that bitch is a derogatory term) across the street and then I have a can of ravioli unless it is the last can, then I leave it there.) Anyway, since I am a dog, I can tell you that non-organic sugar is not so hot. I once had a bottle of Pepsi Blue. I nearly died from a heart attack. How can you humans stand that stuff,? It is positively poisonous. Sorry about pretending to be human so long. No, I don't flush after using the toilet, but I do like to eat apple pie made with organic sugar (note: Organic sugar is ok for dogs, artificial is not good). Doggonit (The Dog) P.S.: I once had a bag of cheerios that I stole from a fat, balding, 3 foot tall human who couldn't speak properly and who always mumbled and ran after the big (regualr) humans. I hated that fat fool, tried to pull my tail. Oh yeah, I am an Olde English Sheepdog by the way. Yeah, them bitches like us big dogs.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:35:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 3:37:09 PM EDT by MDC85]
I believe one of my dogs died from too much salt, but I guess I dont really know. My dad kept feeding him waaaaaaaaaay too much ham, and eventually his stomach became bloated with some sort of fluid, it pained him to even sit down. We had to put him down after that....Sorry to hijack, but is salt that dangerous to dogs(salt water ingestion was mentioned). It was a blue/red heeler mix if that helps.... Anyways, back on topic, Chimborazo, I hope your parents dog feels better [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:59:38 PM EDT
The salt water ingestion was mentioned because it causes stomach spasms/cramps. If you ever have a kid eat/drink something that they shouldn't, give them a glass of water with a tablespoon salt mixed in and stand back!!!! My neighbors kid, several years back, decided to try air freshener. We didn't know if he just sprayed some in his mouth or actually drank it. So, we did the salt water thing. Within 10 seconds the kid projectile vomited all over his mom [puke] just like this. The problem you are mentioning is excessive salt over a long period of time which can cause many problems just as in humans but much more so for dogs. The pancreatitis (inflamation of the pancreas) is a digestive issue that can be caused by too much salt or improper diet. Many medicines used for dogs are actually toxic. A lesser of 2 evils type thing. They used to use arsenic for heart worms. If the dog survived the treatment, he was cured. Refined sugars, salt, high potassium foods are all bad for a dogs digestion. Chocolate (especially dark chocolate) contains high quantities of caffein. In a dog, this high dosage of caffein has the same effect as nicotine poisoning in a human. White chocolate is a different matter in that it is not chocolate at all, rather cocoa butter. It contains no caffein. But the high sugar content can cause heart arhythmias (irregular heart beat) Dogs require a high protein, low carbohydrate diet and plenty of water. Lay off the soda, beer, crackers, beef jerky and all those other little things you think won't harm him. They can lead to pancreatic cancer, liver problems and all sorts of other digestive and circulatory problems. When going to the beach (salt water) watch that he doesn't ingest too much and have plenty of fresh water available to him. Remember, a dog doesn't sweat. He pants to cool off and requires rest periods and water to keep cool. Sorry to sound like I am preaching, but I have several dogs (including a JR Terrorist) and love them all. It drives me nuts when people think they are treating their animals but are actually hurting them.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:36:18 PM EDT
psywarrior - the "stomach flip" you are referring to is known as Gastric Dilitation Volvulus - GDV (bloat)... it is not as common in your small breed dogs - but is more likely to occur in your deep-chested dogs like Dobies, Setters, Great Danes, Shepherds.. the presenting physical signs are acute onset of restlessness and discomfort, retching without producing vomit, and a distended abdomen...and yes, it is an emergency and your dog can die if not corrected. glad to hear the pooch is feeling better - pancreatitis has a tendency to recur - so you must be extremely diligent in feeding him the appropriate diet - what food did they suggest you feed him??
Top Top