Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 4:40:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 4:44:17 PM EDT by Wipeout]
Thats right, soon you will be able to get the beloved Sig 550. However, there is a catch, they are being made/rebuild by Tactical-Weapons (Probably the same people as Special Weapons) The starting cost will be $4000, for the 550 up to 4500 for the 552 Quote from the site: [b]"POST BAN GUNS COME WITH ENOUGH USA PARTS TO MEET 922R, HOWEVER THE GUNS WILL HAVE SIG BARRELS AND BOTH UPPER AND LOWER RECEIVERS FACTORY MADE. GUNS WILL HAVE FIXED OPEN FOLDING STOCKS AND THE FOLLOWING USA PARTS; HAMMER, SEAR, TRIGGER, PISTOL GRIP, COCKING HANDLE AND GAS PISTON. GUNS WILL USE FACTORY PREBAN MAGS AND WILL BE SHIPPED WITH 5RD MAGS."[/b] Pic from the Site: [img]http://www.tactical-weapons.com/pic%20for%20web/pic_tactical_sg_551.gif[/img] Check it out here [url]http://www.tactical-weapons.com/Coming%20soon.htm[/url] Chris
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:42:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:44:59 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Wave: $4000? For a special weapons piece? I'll spend my $$$ on the real thing.
View Quote
I would too, I was just giving everyone a heads up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:47:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:48:56 PM EDT
Although, the last Sig 550 I saw was on GunsAmerica, It was going for close to $12,000, so mabe a post ban type would spark a few people's interest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:51:35 PM EDT
I'll wait for the AWB to fade away like I wish the asshole who got it going would. I'll buy one "just because I can". I like Sig's anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:53:48 PM EDT
My SIG Black Special is a beautiful gun, but still I paid 3300 Canadian, 4000 US seems a little nuts.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:59:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By sniper1az: I'll wait for the AWB to fade away like I wish the asshole who got it going would. I'll buy one "just because I can". I like Sig's anyhow.
View Quote
Ahhhh, but there in lies the $240 Billion dollar question, can you be sure that when it sunsets it will not be replaced?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:59:51 PM EDT
I would rather see someone respectable (cough, cavalry arms, cough) come out with a 922r compliant Steyr AUG.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:00:38 PM EDT
Dude where have you been? That is OLD OLD news. He announced the SIGS almost a year ago. Toad promised them months ago. They are already months over due.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:05:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARDOC: Dude where have you been? That is OLD OLD news. He announced the SIGS almost a year ago. Toad promised them months ago. They are already months over due.
View Quote
I know, site said delivery date for first production run was? Feb. 2003? I have known about it but this was the first of it I have seen on the net about them so I posted the link for everyone.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:06:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 5:07:03 PM EDT by raven]
Pass on this, get a Valmet. Almost as good as the original SIG 550, half the price of Toad's knock-off.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:10:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By raven: Pass on this, get a Valmet. Almost as good as the original SIG 550, half the price of Toad's knock-off.
View Quote
Got a link? Info? Thanks, Raven.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:11:00 PM EDT
You couldn't give me anything "made" by that sack lickin' toad. I have heard that SIG has plans to build a plant here if the ban goes bye bye. If so, I'll just get me a new 550/551 with all the cool evil features.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:12:25 PM EDT
Isn't that the gun you usually see with 2 or 3 30rd mags clamped together underneath?? Hmm... Maybe the price will come down after next September (unless they screw up killing the AWB like they did this 'tax cut (only if you have kids, or are retired, or...)')...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:18:08 PM EDT
Yeah I'd pass on a $4,000 post-ban gun right now. After the ban perhaps I would consider one of these Sig 550's but I think the price is still too steep for me......
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:18:11 PM EDT
[i]Right....[/i]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:24:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scarecrow: My SIG Black Special is a beautiful gun, but still I paid 3300 Canadian, 4000 US seems a little nuts.
View Quote
What about mags? Do they make 5-round mags for that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:25:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Scarecrow: My SIG Black Special is a beautiful gun, but still I paid 3300 Canadian, 4000 US seems a little nuts.
View Quote
Hmmm.... Lets see now what is the exchange rate for the Can$? It seems that you would've paid something like $2,500US? For real Sig 550, that's sounds pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:30:49 PM EDT
At the last SHOT Show SIG factory reps were stating that if the AWB sunsets they will produce a US made SIG 550 at a US located SIG plant (the import ban will still be in effect). I would maybe hold off on a cobbled together SW rifle for $4000 and see what happens next year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:33:13 PM EDT
Now that Toad has bought HK I guess he's moving on to Sig.Rumour has it his next buy out of a weapons manufactore is either Boeing or Lockheed Martin.Very soon he will inform us about his delivery date for post ban B-52's and tomahawk missiles.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:40:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By warlord:
View Quote
Hmmm.... Lets see now what is the exchange rate for the Can$? It seems that you would've paid something like $2,500US? For real Sig 550, that's sounds pretty good.
View Quote
I don't think they have the import ban like we do, so prices are cheaper. Remember, before 1989 you could get a Styer AUG for less than a grand and HK 91s for 500 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:56:02 PM EDT
One of two things will happen: 1. He will never build them due to lack of interest in paying 4k for a piece of crap that doesn't work but remotely resembles a Sig550. Todd has announced LOTS of guns that never got built. 2. He will build them and they will be as reliable and well made as other SW products but will cost 4x as much. Either way you lose. Now for the important news. IF the AW Ban successfully sunsets SIG has plans to introduce a US made version of the 550 rifle complete with all evil features for about a 1/4th of the price Todd wants for his hack job substandard parts gun. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:57:00 PM EDT
SIG550s and 551s, around 2100-2300 Euros here( roughly the same in USD), somewhat more for 552s.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:36:30 PM EDT
toad already made my life a living hell by purchasing one of his POS products. NEVER AGAIN!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 7:10:58 PM EDT by raven]
Originally Posted By Wipeout:
Originally Posted By raven: Pass on this, get a Valmet. Almost as good as the original SIG 550, half the price of Toad's knock-off.
View Quote
Got a link? Info? Thanks, Raven.
View Quote
Huh? What I mean is, the Valmet is a high quality, AK variant in .223, like the SIG 550. Great craftsmanship, accuracy, reliability. If it has a drawback, it's the scarcity of mags for it. I think 30 rounders go for $80. Even so, when you consider a semi SIG 550 is around $9000 on average and the last Valmet tube-folder for sale I saw was $1250.....do you see what I mean? A close substitute for a fraction of the money. Unless you really want a bona fide SIG 550 and nothing else will do, I think the Valmet would be a decent substitute.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:12:07 PM EDT
I shot in a Swiss rifle match last week, and there was a doctor there who had a Sig 550 new in the box. He, having lots of money, paid near 10K for it. It looked nice, shot well, but not better than my Hbar does. A domestic made Sig 550, made by Sig, would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:21:54 PM EDT
yep.. Wouldnt it be just great if all these famous european companies set up shop here in the US of A?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:43:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Andreuha: yep.. Wouldnt it be just great if all these famous european companies set up shop here in the US of A?
View Quote
Isn't HK gonna do just that and sell a G36 civie, etc? ...or did i hear wrong on that/ Urban Legend?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:06:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:07:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By zazou:
Originally Posted By Andreuha: yep.. Wouldnt it be just great if all these famous european companies set up shop here in the US of A?
View Quote
Isn't HK gonna do just that and sell a G36 civie, etc? ...or did i hear wrong on that/ Urban Legend?
View Quote
I think HK would be very successfull with other rifles such as HK91's and MP5's(K especially) (Although I would be one of the first to plop money down for a G36). Same goes for Kalashnikov Rifle (Oh what I wouldnt do for a Semi-auto PK), Steyr, FN, and plenty of others. *slaps self out of relative dream world* Sure hope it's true.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:27:43 PM EDT
What the heck makes the damn Sig worth so much money? For crying out loud, even if they came in at $2000-$2500 how the heck could they be worth anywhere near that? That's ridiculous...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:42:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DScott:
View Quote
What about mags? Do they make 5-round mags for that?
View Quote
Yes they make 5rd flush fit mags. We also get the 20 and 30rd mags pluged to 5rds. Here is picture of my friends black special with 5rd mag: [img]http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/robert.ryan/IMG_1108-2.JPG[/img] Would post a pic of mine but no digicam yet.
Originally Posted By AR-15Fan: What the heck makes the damn Sig worth so much money? For crying out loud, even if they came in at $2000-$2500 how the heck could they be worth anywhere near that? That's ridiculous...
View Quote
Well if your too poor to buy one don't knock it. First off the SIG has the following: AK gas system with spring placed over the oprod. Hammer forged barrel. Standard night sights. Built in bipod. Standard amby selector. Folding trigger guard for winter shooting with gloves. Gas system switch for when the gun gets gummed up in cold to clear the system. Folding stock. Standard match grade trigger. And thats why I payed so much for mine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:57:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 1:06:41 AM EDT by AR-15Fan]
I'm not too [i]poor[/i] to buy one, just too [i]cheap[/i] I guess. I understand the rarity factor here for the huge prices, but they seem fairly plentiful in Canada and elsewhere and they are still sky high. I has a nice feature list but there is no reason for it to cost that much that I can see. No integrated optical sight, etc, nothing fancy to jack up the price. I'm not knocking you for buying one just trying to account for the reason for the sky high prices that dwarf the premiums for nearly every other similar AW... Just wondering if there is a materials side to the equation, like is the freakin receiver titanium or something else I'm missing, etc? If not then Sig must be making a crapload on markup, can't cost anywhere near that to make them... I'm figuring Sig sets up a US plant and pumps em out and still wants $2k+ a pop, guess we'll find out.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:13:11 AM EDT
its cuz they can get it same with alot of things.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:02:42 AM EDT
Forget it.. For that kind of money, I'll buy myself 6 AR15s in 6 different configurations. One for each day of the workweek! :)
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:22:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/25/2003 7:12:53 AM EDT by KeithBuckner]
Just thought I'd toss in (yet another) of one of my "cobbled" projects. This is a 550 "beater" I picked up, sold off most of the parts/furniture, then retrofitted with 551-LB parts, picked up some SWAT furniture, then hacked the barrel back enough to closely resemble the 551-SWAT, but retain the 16" OAL. When all was finished, I have spent about the same amount I would have paid for a NIB, unfired 550, and I have a, One of a Kind, civvie ANIB SIG 551. [img]http://alpinetek.netfirms.com/guns/SG55X/551moda.jpg[/img] At the SHOT SHOW SIG booth, I spoke with the Director of US sales. HE indicated that there would be NO chance for civilian ownership of SIG 55X rifles.. EVER. As for a US plant... I can't imagine anyone spending the $$$ to build a plant (on foreign soil, even), that AT ANY TIME could be completely shut down, at the whim of some scared soccer moms the next time some crazy goes on a shooting spree. I think the only hope of a US made 550 is in the hands of small clone builders and hobbyists. I hope I am wrong.. but I think EVERYONE here "really" knows that only more stringent laws are in our future. If anyone thinks the AWB will sunset and then NO MORE laws will be presented in LESS time than it would take to establish a manufacturing facility by either HK or SIG for the production of CIVVIE weapons, please share whatever it is you are smoking with me.. I certainly need it. As for Postban guns, anyone that has a post ban gun in their possesion when the AWB DOES sunset, THEN INSTANTLY owns a PRE-BAN and can re-attach the FH, Collapsible stock, etc... but do it MUCH CHEAPER than buying the "pre-ban Pre-Ban" gun. I would say the owners of "pre-ban preban" guns will be reluctant to take a loss, selling their guns at "reasonable prices", hoping for more legislation that will allow them to sell at a more equitable (to them, at least) price. The AWB sunsetting, COULD, theoritically, cause some SUBSTANTIAL financial damage to the "black rifle" genre. LOTS of guys are "banking" on bans, hoarding all the pre-bans they can gather. SOME guys could go bankrupt when they realize they will NOT be able to sell their inventory for more than HALF their investment. something to think about. Of course, this only applies to the Domestic AWs. Imported AWs will STILL hold their value. AR-15s will be a DIFFERENT story, though. Heh.. what if "buy back" programs gave you more money than a buyer would (AFTER the sunset)? How many of you would let Uncle Sam "buy back" the gun JUST to make a profit, or to reduce your "loss"?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:05:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By AR-15Fan: I'm not too [i]poor[/i] to buy one, just too [i]cheap[/i] I guess. I understand the rarity factor here for the huge prices, but they seem fairly plentiful in Canada and elsewhere and they are still sky high. I has a nice feature list but there is no reason for it to cost that much that I can see. No integrated optical sight, etc, nothing fancy to jack up the price. I'm not knocking you for buying one just trying to account for the reason for the sky high prices that dwarf the premiums for nearly every other similar AW... Just wondering if there is a materials side to the equation, like is the freakin receiver titanium or something else I'm missing, etc? If not then Sig must be making a crapload on markup, can't cost anywhere near that to make them... I'm figuring Sig sets up a US plant and pumps em out and still wants $2k+ a pop, guess we'll find out.
View Quote
Even in Switzerland your going to pay the same price as in Canada. And you know why it cost so much? Better quality then everyone else, and more features. Why doesn't a ferrari cost as much as a Toyota? [BD]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:39:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KeithBuckner: I hope I am wrong.. but I think EVERYONE here "really" knows that only more stringent laws are in our future. . . The AWB sunsetting, COULD, theoritically, cause some SUBSTANTIAL financial damage to the "black rifle" genre. LOTS of guys are "banking" on bans, hoarding all the pre-bans they can gather. SOME guys could go bankrupt when they realize they will NOT be able to sell their inventory for more than HALF their investment. something to think about. Of course, this only applies to the Domestic AWs. Imported AWs will STILL hold their value. AR-15s will be a DIFFERENT story, though.
View Quote
More stringent laws? Well the 9/11/01 WTC/Pentagon and the Belt Way sniper attacks has changed a lot of the dynamics of USA politics. Many gun-ban politicos are still touting the pre 9/11 and snipers attacks of "more guns just equals more crime & violence." But I think some people are starting to not buy that BS line for the moment anyways. Prior to 9/11, the old adage of "out of sight, out of mind" as people forget or the memory becomes hazy, but I don't seeing that happening in the future, who can forget? Good point, some shooters think of their guns as an investment, and that their "investment" will constantly appreciate over time, true some will and some won't, just like any other investment. If you treat it as hobby, and you will say "gee look its worth more than what I bought it for."
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:51:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:58:17 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SinistralRifleman:
Originally Posted By Andreuha:
View Quote
View Quote
I think HK would be very successfull with other rifles such as HK91's and MP5's(K especially) (Although I would be one of the first to plop money down for a G36). Same goes for Kalashnikov Rifle (Oh what I wouldnt do for a Semi-auto PK), Steyr, FN, and plenty of others. *slaps self out of relative dream world* Sure hope it's true.
View Quote
If HK brought their molds to the US, we could run enough receivers in one month to supply the US market for 5 years...bringing the molds here and having a US company run them for them makes them instantly US made parts. All the polymer guns would be very simple to produce here in the US. And they could still have the original companies name on it. An 07 FFL (manufacturer) can produce firearms for another 07 if they get a marking variance from BATF.
View Quote
You think maybe you could talk to them about that? Please?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:21:04 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Wave: on the other hand...
LEO GUNS ARE 100% FACTORY SIG AND COME WITH ALL EVIL FEATURES, FLASH HIDER, FOLDING STOCK, BAYONET MOUNT.
View Quote
LEO GUNS 550 $2650 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET) 551 $2850 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET) 552 $3050 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET)
View Quote
View Quote
And of course you wouldn't be able to get any of the above!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:42:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 7:09:20 AM EDT by Balzac72]
Originally Posted By Wave: on the other hand...
LEO GUNS ARE 100% FACTORY SIG AND COME WITH ALL EVIL FEATURES, FLASH HIDER, FOLDING STOCK, BAYONET MOUNT.
View Quote
LEO GUNS 550 $2650 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET) 551 $2850 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET) 552 $3050 (ABOUT, PRICE NOT FIRM YET)
View Quote
View Quote
Who cares about LEO pricing? Even YOU can't even get them at these prices!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:03:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist: I would rather see someone respectable (cough, cavalry arms, cough) come out with a 922r compliant Steyr AUG.
View Quote
I've been wishing this for years. [(:|)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:53:23 PM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
Gunboard wishful thinking. HK stated specifically that they had no intention to introduce civilian versions of any of their current or previous military rifles.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:56:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By AR-15Fan: What the heck makes the damn Sig worth so much money? For crying out loud, even if they came in at $2000-$2500 how the heck could they be worth anywhere near that? That's ridiculous...
View Quote
Scarcity. Very few were imported before the ban. Same reason a PSG1 goes for 14k. If SIGs were imported in the quantity HK91s were they would cost a lot less.
Top Top