Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/24/2003 3:41:19 PM EDT
I briefly got into Cowboy Action shooting awhile back and ended up buying a few guns just for the sport. Since I shot all of about 3 matches the first year and nothing ever since, I've been trading/selling them off for more practical stuff. Except for that damn Cimarron Schofield. It's single-action only. It's a 6-shooter but the firing pin is fixed to the hammer so it rests on a primer if you don't leave a chamber empty. It's got a 5" barrel with this ridiculously wide and shallow rear sight that doubles as an action latch. The action is too weak for CorBon loads. The hinge screw works loose every hundred rounds or so. It's an ASM, not a Uberti or S&W. But I can't bring myself to lose the damned thing. It shoots a big, fat bullet. With a two-handed hold, it's pretty damn accurate. It's funky-looking but hangs in the hand great. That break-top action dumps empties like lightning. And whenever I think of selling it, I end up cleaning it up, staring at it, deciding to shoot it "just one more time" and back in the safe it goes. So what "litter runts" can you guys not bring yourselves to part with?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:48:38 PM EDT
I have an SKS I am too lazy to sell.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:49:57 PM EDT
I've got an old EMF Dakota in .32-20 that is falling apart. Can't really shoot it anymore and it was worn out when I got it, but it was my first centerfire handgun and I just hate to sell it. Hell I doubt I could sell it, I'd have to give it away.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:51:09 PM EDT
I have a Colt Woodsman target model that I do not shoot, but I am too attached to it to let go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:25:20 PM EDT
Colt Defender. Nothing really wrong with it, except that I don't like it all that much.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:28:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:33:43 PM EDT
Not anymore!....gave away a old smith and wesson in .32 long, and sold the crappy 3rd world 9mm that was very prone to FTF and FTE, I now have a 100% no safe queen home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:39:12 PM EDT
Anyone else have a "useless" gun?
View Quote
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=788[/img] Do I win?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:42:50 PM EDT
My Beretta 21A. Unless I want a .22 for deep concealment, it's utterly useless. I thought it was 'cool' when I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 4:52:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shadowblade: I have an old H&R .36 revolver that is too worn out to shoot. The timing is off and it would likely blow up in my hand if I were to try. However, I can't get rid of it. My great grandfather won it in a poker game - from none other than Al Capone...
View Quote
That is not useless. If you can prove Al Capones ownership, that is worth some serious money. Otherwise, it is a family heirloom. I would never consider such an item as useless. Perhaps, it is ineffective as a firearm, but it definitely has value. I had an old jennings 25 ACP that I bought for $20. A friend of mine sold it to me cheap explaining that he shot himself in the leg with it once and wanted to get rid of it. I cleaned it up real good (slide was fouled causing the jam that caused the misfire) and fired the rest of the rounds in the mag. Then sold it for $50 to another friend as an ankle gun. He sold it after about 2 weeks. Lord only knows where it is now.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:17:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 5:19:58 PM EDT by THellURider]
Originally Posted By Waldo:
View Quote
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=788[/img] Do I win?
View Quote
Is that a Glock? [;D] editted because of stupid board code....[:D]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:30:15 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe: My Beretta 21A. Unless I want a .22 for deep concealment, it's utterly useless. I thought it was 'cool' when I bought it.
View Quote
I concur, my beretta 21a is a total POS single shot. I'd rather carry that Raven .25 I own (possibly useless, but totally reliable).
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:39:57 PM EDT
I have no useless guns. I got rid of my Ruger 20 years ago. Jay
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:56:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Avtomat:
Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe: My Beretta 21A. Unless I want a .22 for deep concealment, it's utterly useless. I thought it was 'cool' when I bought it.
View Quote
I concur, my beretta 21a is a total POS single shot. I'd rather carry that Raven .25 I own (possibly useless, but totally reliable).
View Quote
What type of jams do you experience most often? I usually get one jam in every three mags or so...it used to be about three jams in every one mag....the key was to shoot it a lot and keep the chamber clean and just squirt oil on the rest of the gun. What I still encounter is the bullet going too high and the projectile jamming itself against the top of the barrel. I just smack it real hard with my hand and continue firing. The other thing is the occasional failure to eject, from a dirty chamber. That gun is surprisingly loud, don't you think?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:06:58 PM EDT
Universal M1 Carbine. Bought it without checking it out, shoots great, never had a problem with it. But,I never use it and now I can't sell damn thing because its a "Universal". Guess I could use it for a boat anchor.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:09:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 6:11:43 PM EDT by Andreuha]
I've got an AR-7 sporter. The thing has had a little bit of metal chipped off from the crown and it shoots consistant groups of ~1200MOA. Probably either trade the POS in towards purchase of another gun, or get a new barrel and red-dot sight. Anyone know if someone makes bull barrels for the AR7's? (Ah, who am I kidding.. its useless)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:19:17 PM EDT
I also had a Universal M-1 Carbine....got it as a christmas present from my Father , the firing pin broke on the third round through it , got it fixed , worked fine for a while and then was getting way to many failures to feed or failures to eject.... So , I traded it for a Smith and Wesson Model 19 .357 and never looked back......... A gun you do not trust , now that is useless... t
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:31:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Waldo:
View Quote
[url]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=788[/url] Do I win?
View Quote
Nope... I have a Jennings .22. Although I may soon have a use for it, single-loading it with CCI shotshells and dispatching mice in the building.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:34:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chapman: I have a Colt Woodsman target model that I do not shoot, but I am too attached to it to let go.
View Quote
I remember those damn things! My grandpa had one. They shoot great as I remember, but they have probably bitten the tops off of more thumbs than all other models of pistols combined. OUCH!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/24/2003 7:11:22 PM EDT by Shadowblade]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:33:43 PM EDT
Here's a scary addendum. Decided to do a little reorg on the safe after posting and *found* a Davis D-38 .38 derringer. Can't even remember how I ended up with the pos but it's still in the box and everything. I'll give it away someday. Neat story, Shadowblade. My aunt - 100% NY Italian - used to talk about such "good people taking care of their own". Then again, she also used to defend Mussolini the same way.... Waldo - what the hell happened to that Glock??
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:34:31 PM EDT
Nothing comes close in the POS department to my (former) IntraTec Tec-9.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:43:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:50:53 PM EDT
First rule of gun ownership: NEVER sell one! Your collection must go to your kids! That's how it works in my family, anyway. This rule was violated ONCE, by my father. About fifteen years ago, he sold his pre-'64 Winchester Model 70, in .308, with a Leupold 3-9x variable scope, which had been fired not more than 40 times since he bought it new, to a cousin of mine, for the astonishing sum of 150 dollars. Needless to say, my mother, both my brothers, and myself have all never let him forget this capital crime he has committed. Of ALL the guns he had...why THAT one??? I'm getting furious just thinking about it now. He'll never live that one down and he has been told by the entire family that he is absolutely forbidden to sell any more guns to anyone else, period, outside of his immediate family. (Meaning his wife and kids) My cousin still has that rifle, treats it with all the respect it's due, and uses it every deer season at least. It IS in a good home, but it grinds my ass that it's not in MY home, or at least that of my father or my brothers. I swear I'm going to try to buy that sucker off my uncle someday. It should be back in the immediate family! Incidentally, my cousin was in Vietnam and knows what a rifle's all about. He has four scars from four hits by an AK, and he STILL managed to shoot and kill the little bastard who shot him! There's a lesson there, too: Four hits with 7.62x39, more or less in a line from right shin to right nipple, and he survived it and killed his assailant with a single 5.56 round from an M16. Perhaps the M16 IS the better weapon, after all. My cousin sure thinks so! CJ
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:54:40 PM EDT
I got a 7.7 Jap.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:59:03 PM EDT
Yeah, inherited a Jennings .22 revolver from a great aunt in South FL. She shot at a burglar that was in her kitchen and hit her brand new stove instead with that little monster. I am probably gonna encase it in lucite with a plaque emblazoned "Stove Killer"
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:59:58 PM EDT
I once had a USELESS Stephens .410 double barrel. I went to a gun show, and the first table I passed, the guy wanted it. Said he had a customer that had all the calibers (including the next most useless shotgun caliber--28 ga) and needed the .410 to fill out the set. Offered me $200. I continued to walk around the show, and passed the same table again (after getting offers elsewhere). OK, he said, I'll give you $300. Sold! I bought a PWA lower receiver for $90. I handed him the cash, he handed me the lower, and went to the next customer. He said, anything else? when he saw me still standing there. I had to remind the seller to do a 4473. He WAS a dealer, his cards all over the table. He did not seem interested in the paperwork. Now, after all the Brady checks and the door to door in VA and Maryland re the sniper incident, I think I would have just walked away and reduced the paper trail. I also got an ammo cans of 55 gr fmj and a pile of 30 rnd USGIs. Got home and wife asked, OK, how much did you spend THIS time. I said, I have money left over, let's go out for dinner.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:09:18 PM EDT
I've a junker Marlin Mdl. 60 that I stupidly took in a trade for a T/C White Mountain Carbine. I've shot the Marlin maybe 10 times in the three years I've had it. It jams horribly. I don't know why I still have it. Why did I do it? Had purchased a newer muzzleloader a couple of years earlier and decided I would never need the WMC anymore. Really wanted another 22 rifle, and the 60 didn't seem to be all that bad. The guy told me to come back if I didn't like the Marlin and he'd give me my gun back. Went back two weeks later, he wasn't there (did the trade at a flea market). Last year I spent another $250 for another White Mountain Carbine. Geez I'm stupid. Sold a really nice Marlin 782 22 WMR for $60 about two weeks before that, the gun was a gift from my grandfather for my 16th birthday. I regret those two dumbass moves more than just about anything I've ever done (and that includes sleeping with a skank in high school).
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:24:38 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
I dont think its useless 7 rounds of gold dot into someones chest would ruin anyones day.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:36:55 AM EDT
I keep my flintlock, for reenactmnts on lincoln common in MA. Soon w/all the new gun laws ahead 20+yrs it might remain legal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:46:30 AM EDT
I've got plenty of them.... One is a beautifully reblued Savage 1920 with a cocking peice sight. Only problem is that it has no rifling left....Keyholes at 25 yards. How about a 1895 Nagant revolver? It cost as much as 2 boxes of factory ammo. Two grooves measure .313, the other groove measures .317 IIRC. I can make ammo that works from 223 brass. How about my Tokarev? It doubles about 10-15% of the time. Yeah, this means every magazine with arsenal ammo too. Trying to figure that one out. I get good groups when I single load it though. Egyptian FN1949? I had an out of battery firing with that with PMC factory ammo. Thank God for Saami pressures. Got hit with a shock wave that blew my cap behind the benches. Good thing I did not fire a surplus round through that one. It is a safe queen till even I get the nerve to shoot it again. The Mosin Nagant M44 I just cleaned up last night has a burr in the chamber. Most of my ammo doesnt fit in it. It looks like a candidate to rebuild in 45-70 or 45-90. Gotta see what is going to fit. Good thing it cost 33 bucks, in a 3-fer from Century. I'll see what the other two are capable of when I clean them up. How 'bout a Styer Hahn pistol that the Germans ran a P '08 reamer into to make it 9mm instead of the long Austrian service round? Cases are unsupported 1/4" plus from the base. Fired cases look really interesting, expanded out like that. Looks like someone puffing their cheeks. I like the way it loads via stripper clips and it is absolutely reliable. Great gun when I cut down 9mm mag brass to size. Man, but I have a ton of projects in my safe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:49:00 AM EDT
Here's a few my father has. A genuine late 1800's Winchester lever action (I can't remember the calibre), with a plugged barrel. A Civil War era percussion cap musket (I'm not sure if it's civil or military issue though). A 5 shot percussion cap revolver from around the same time period. A percussion cap muzzle loading shotgun, double barrel. There's a late 1800's bayonette as well, but it doesn't fit the musket. Don't ask for makes or markings, it's been a couple of years since I last looked at them, and they're 250 miles from where I'm sitting. None of them are in "pristine condition", they all show signs of being put to use in their time. The musket, shotgun and revolver could all work again with some restoration, but my father isn't interested in blackpowder. They were given to my father by his father in law who collected them. My father really likes the "wild west" mythos and just keeps them as conversation pieces. If only my grandfather had gotten his hands on a Colt Peacemaker to match with the lever action, that would have been sweet. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:20:35 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GarethB: My father really likes the "wild west" mythos and just keeps them as conversation pieces. If only my grandfather had gotten his hands on a Colt Peacemaker to match with the lever action, that would have been sweet. [:)]
View Quote
Hey, I know a guy with a repro 1875 Schofield for sale.... [:D]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:46:55 AM EDT
I've got an old p-14 enfield that doesn't shoot cause the reciever is worn so bad that the bolt won't close on a round proper, and it has borderline excessive headspace. The stock is in great shape though. I keep thinking I'll find a beat up "shooter" P-14 and swap stocks. I can't part with it, cause it's part of my WWI collection.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 7:51:50 AM EDT
Ive got a couple of single shot shotguns, An H&R 20Ga and a NEF .410. Ill probably sell them some time, just kinda hard to let go of I had an SKS, but then I sold it for an AR. I love my AR, but I missed my SKS so I bought another one.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:28:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:
View Quote
View Quote
What type of jams do you experience most often? I usually get one jam in every three mags or so...it used to be about three jams in every one mag....the key was to shoot it a lot and keep the chamber clean and just squirt oil on the rest of the gun. What I still encounter is the bullet going too high and the projectile jamming itself against the top of the barrel. I just smack it real hard with my hand and continue firing. The other thing is the occasional failure to eject, from a dirty chamber. That gun is surprisingly loud, don't you think?
View Quote
Honestly, I haven't shot the M-F'er in years (I use a P32 for pocket carry now). I got a lot of failure to eject (like the rounds were weak or something, but it would do it with all kinds of ammo), stovepipes, failure to feed (like you, hitting the top of the chamber), 1-3 times per mag, or less. I found that CCI Stingers worked the best, I dont think it has ever failed with those, try them and see what you what you think. I've heard numerous similar complaints about this gun....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:36:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cyrax777:
View Quote
View Quote
I dont think its useless 7 rounds of gold dot into someones chest would ruin anyones day.
View Quote
I bet I could only fire 2 rounds before it jammed
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:38:35 AM EDT
A 1910 Candian Ross in .303 with a pitted chamber, an Auto 5 12 gauge with a horribly oil soaked stock that would probably split if you fired it, some sort of .38 Spanish 5 shot revolver with an engraving of a tiger on it and a 6" paper thin barrel, and a three barrel set to a 16 gauge Winchester model 12 without the rest of the gun. Gotta keep them, they're inherited!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:52:25 AM EDT
I've got an old 12 gauge double barrel shotgun that double-fires almost every time you pull the trigger so it can only be fired with one barrel loaded at a time. (Holding TWO loads of buckshot going off simultaneously is like getting kicked by a mule!) The gun was bought for $5 new in a hardware store in Wapanucka, OK before Oklahoma statehood by a young deputy US marshall who didn't yet shave daily because he was too young to grow a beard (My great-grandfather). The deputy used this shotgun as he served Judge Isaac Parker's court in Fort Smith, AR by patrolling by horseback the lower south-east Indian Territory, which would later become Oklahoma. It was a hideout for bad men who ravaged the surrounding states and then took refuge in the famous Robber's Cave area and points beyond. Great Grandpa gave it to my father in 1963, just before he died and when dad started his career as a Peace Officer in the Tulsa area, and my father gave it to me when he retired 30 years later and I had just begun my career in law enforcement. It's been rode hard, it's rough looking, certainly no collector's value and probably wouldn't fetch $50 at a gun show, but I would let every other gun in my safe go before that old 12 gauge. It will go to my son someday. When we say "from my cold-dead fingers", that's what we Americans mean.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:58:28 AM EDT
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Haha no kidding. Mine loved CCI Stingers but I am too cheap to buy them, so I feed it Golden Bullet and let it jam. It really seems to like Aguila SSS (I suppose the short case length makes it easier to eject), although I've probably only shot 25 rounds of SSS through it. My main jamming issue other than stovepipes are the occasional FTEs (what do you expect with no extractor?).
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:27:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson: Incidentally, my cousin was in Vietnam and knows what a rifle's all about. He has four scars from four hits by an AK, and he STILL managed to shoot and kill the little bastard who shot him! There's a lesson there, too: Four hits with 7.62x39, more or less in a line from right shin to right nipple, and he survived it and killed his assailant with a single 5.56 round from an M16. Perhaps the M16 IS the better weapon, after all. My cousin sure thinks so! CJ
View Quote
Hands down I would give the 5.56 the edge on ballistics some of the chinese steel core 762 doesn't do all that much damage.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:44:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:46:46 AM EDT
I have the first flintlock my Father built. It is about six feet long and he swiped the trigger off of it for another project years ago.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:49:43 AM EDT
I've got a Yugo 59/66 SKS that only works as a single shot. I haven't had the time to mess with it yet & get it going again in semi-auto mode. Maybe this summer....
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:03:58 PM EDT
I have a Charter Arms Undercoverette in .32 S&W Long. No practical value whatsoever, but it is the last tangible remains of a fine old gentleman. I think I'll keep it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:19:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I have an SKS I am too lazy to sell.
View Quote
well then why not just give it to me - less work than selling it!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:21:48 PM EDT
I've got a Smith and Wesson Safety Hammerless in 38 S&W. It is in good shape, but I've never fired it. There is something cool about that gun, and I've never really tought of selling it. It wouldn't bring much anyway. I had another one I did shoot. It didn't have any blue left on it, but it was mechanically tight. I gave it to an old lady who wanted a gun. It's funny, but 38 S&W makes sense for her because it's a pretty big bullet going like 700 fps so it's a lot better than a 22 or 25 but doesn't kick. She can't cock the hammer and then have to ease it back down if she doesn't shoot. I wouldn't mind having a few more of those guns really.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:24:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sniper_Wolfe:
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
View Quote
Haha no kidding. Mine loved CCI Stingers but I am too cheap to buy them, so I feed it Golden Bullet and let it jam. It really seems to like Aguila SSS (I suppose the short case length makes it easier to eject), although I've probably only shot 25 rounds of SSS through it. My main jamming issue other than stovepipes are the occasional FTEs (what do you expect with no extractor?).
View Quote
I have the same gun in .25 acp and it works flawlessly. It's actually my favorite mousegun. I also have an SKS yugo 59 that is a bolt action. Need to find out what's wrong with it. Went shooting on friday and cracked the stock on my Enfield. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:36:19 PM EDT
Sold my useless pistol- S&W 22A, What a pile of dung. Still have a mint Ruger 28ga O/U that I used briefly for grouse hunting....far from useless, but I just plain hit more birds with my Remington 11-87. Anybody want a deal on an O/U?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:07:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Mach1: Sold my useless pistol- S&W 22A, What a pile of dung. Still have a mint Ruger 28ga O/U that I used briefly for grouse hunting....far from useless, but I just plain hit more birds with my Remington 11-87. Anybody want a deal on an O/U?
View Quote
Hmm. I'll give ya five bucks. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:29:49 PM EDT
Ive got a JC Higgins bolt action 20ga that fires as soon as you close the bolt. The trigger group has come loose from the reciever so the striker wont hold back. Cant get rid of it, it was the first gun I ever got, my dad gave it to me.
Top Top