Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/24/2003 1:37:45 PM EDT
About a year ago I saw some fraudulent charges on my credit card, called the bank and had the card canceled. Since then, I've receieved notices from America On Line (whom I've NEVER had an account with) that my credit card has been declined and I owe X.XX amount on an account. I've spoken to their fraud department, sent letters, and today I get two more bills from them. I just got off the phone with the fraud department again and was told that every time I get a bill from them, I need to call them and get it written off. I've spoken to the bank that issued the card and they said they can't do anything - the card has been canceled. AOL said they can't do anything else, such as flag my name or CC number so it can't be used in the future. Anyone have any leads as to what I can do to get this resolved with AOL permanently??
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:43:15 PM EDT
ignore them
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:53:49 PM EDT
Draw up a letter telling them to cease and desist. Send it certified mail to their abuse/fraud department and CC your state's Attorney General. Be sure to include in the letter that you never signed up for their service, you never authorized charges for their service, and you've dealt with this each time they try to collect and have not been satisfied with the results. Inform them that any future attempts to collect on a bill you don't owe will be treated as harassment. The next time they hear from you, it will be your lawyer to sue them. That tends to stop the bullshit quickly. If it doesn't, spend the $75-150 to have a lawyer write a letter for you and be done with it. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:36:28 PM EDT
I just went through all this ID theft BS. First thing to do is call all three credit bureaus and get your profile flagged for ID theft, then you will recieve free copies of your credit report, and your name will be scrubbed off of any public distribution lists. Once you recieve your reports go over them carefully and call the Credit Bureaus back about any fraudlent activity and get it taken off your record. Credit Bureaus Experian 1-888-397-3742 www.experian.com Equifax (fraud reporting) 1-800-525-6285 (all others) 1-800-997-2493 www.equifax.com TransUnion 1-800-888-4213, 1-800-680-7289 www.tuc.com
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:05:21 PM EDT
I'll be glad to help you. Please forward all of your information (include credit card number) to me ASAP. [;)]
Top Top