Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2003 12:40:55 PM EDT
In the early 60s, a plane was hijacked and the only people that were worried were the pilots and passenger Alan Funt.

People on board were wising off to the hijackers, drinking and really carrying on all the way to Cuba until they realized they WEREN'T on 'Candid Camera'!

How life can sometimes imitate art!

anyone remember that?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never heard of this crime.  What was the outcome?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
We studied a lot of the Alan Funt videos in my Psych 101 class.  Really telling stuff.

My favorite is where the 3 planted people get in the elevator and then turn around to face the rear of the elevator as it travels.  The poor guys in the elevator who were not in on the gag would always turn and face the rear too due to the pressure to conform.

Of course, none of this compares to the great Milgram experiment.  Zap!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I vaguely remember the details from the media at the time. I was just a kid, but a while ago I read about it in an old 'Rest of the story'book by Paul Harvey. It sorta refreshed my memory.

Some disgruntled idiot in the early 60s hijacked a plane to Cuba, as was the fad at the time.

The plane landed safely in Cuba.

All the passengers just got into another plane and returned to the US and were astonished to find that Alan Funt, who was aboard as a passenger, was NOT at the bottom of it and they really were hijacked by a real hijacker.

Because Funt was on the plane, the passengers just assumed they were on 'Candid Camera'.

I don't know what happened to the hijacker.

wondering if anyone else remembers this event.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
We studied a lot of the Alan Funt videos in my Psych 101 class.  Really telling stuff.

My favorite is where the 3 planted people get in the elevator and then turn around to face the rear of the elevator as it travels.  The poor guys in the elevator who were not in on the gag would always turn and face the rear too due to the pressure to conform.

View Quote

Hmm. Sounds strangely familiar as to how people vote...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top