Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2003 2:48:19 AM EDT
Over the last several months having been trying to make some decisions about liquidation of some of my firearms--trying to decide which would be safe to keep.  I have been studying history of Second Amendment trying to determine just how secure it really is.

All TEN of the FIRST ten seem to be falling to the fear of terrorism...

Please correct me if I am in error in any of these thoughts...

Has ANY firearm ban EVER been over turned based on Second Amendment?  Morton Grove, NY City, Washington DC have bans still in effect.

If no ban has ever been over turned then it is just a matter of time before all firearms could be banned.

Next week US Armed Forces in Iraq will begin confiscating all fully automatic firearms and NO firearm will be allowed out of a person’s home.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 5:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that any firearm control law (execpt concealed weapons at the state level) has ever been overturned.  There may have been minor adjustments or portions may have been struck down or changed, but once a gun-control law is on the books, it's there to stay.

That's why the AWB renewal not happening is so damned important.  It not only will remove a stupid law that does nothing to protect anyone but it's a HUGE first step in getting our rights back.  If the ban dies we need to take a deep breath, let those in power that allowed it to die know that we are thankful for their support, go on a shopping spree and then start pushing the line back even further.

Unless you are in bad finacial shape you should NEVER SELL YOUR GUNS.  History has shown time and time again that it's a mistake to do so.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#2]
What would the point of having a civil right, if you could never exercise it again, because you sold it off in fear of what might happen.

Like Airwolf said, unless you are in such dire financial straits, NEVER SELL. In such times, I've had to lose a few over the years. I always considered whether I could replace it later on.
So, true collectors items stayed, [tears welling] while current, common production items would have to go.[/tears welling].

I can't imagine a scenario in which a national ban could be enacted, and even harder, implemented. Outside of the areas that carried algore, the AWB and other gun control schemes just aren't being accepted.

If you want to prevent other voters from being duped into allowing such legislation, educate, educate, educate!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:17:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Bans on CCW have been overturned by lower and State Appellate courts in Ohio. Now the Ohio Supreme Court is to rule on the lower court's decisions. That has been based on the Ohio Constitution's similar 2nd Amendment.

The net result is that we WILL have CCW in Ohio in th next year.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#5]
I always make it a point to BUY guns that are likely to be banned.  That's why I own multiple AR-15s.  (You can't get normal ones in Cali legally any more.)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:50:50 AM EDT
[#6]
They're right!

Sarah Brady, Diane Feinstein, Carolyn McCarthy, etc. should be getting fabulous commission fees from Colt, etc. for the sales they've generated!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:26:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Well evidently this was the correct forum--thanks for all the replies.  One day next week I might get back here again on this same subject...

In another post someone said if the AWB is turned into permanent law the Second will be done...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]

IIRC, the "gun-free school zone" law (which banned guns even OFF school property in a wide perimeter around schools) was overturned by SCOTUS a few years back as was parts of the the Brady bill waiting period.

But you're right, not enough of these bans have even been effectively challenged. Hello??? NRA??? You still there???

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
"They who give up essential liberty to gain safety, deserve freedom from fear."
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

did you mean:

Benjamin Franklin's "Those who would sacrifice Liberty for temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety."
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

did you mean:

Benjamin Franklin's "Those who would sacrifice Liberty for temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety."
View Quote

No, that's what he meant to say.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:59:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

did you mean:

View Quote

im·bro·glio    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (m-brly)
n. pl. im·bro·glios

A difficult or intricate situation; an entanglement.
A confused or complicated disagreement.
A confused heap; a tangle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Italian, from Old Italian, from imbrogliare, to tangle, confuse  : in-, in (from Latin. See in-2) + brogliare, to mix, stir (probably from Old French brooiller, brouiller. See broil2).]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.
View Quote

At best, Imbroglio is here to play the devil's advocate. It's okay to ignore him.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top