Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2003 4:31:16 PM EDT
I've had good luck pouring a couple concrete slabs in the past, and using hydraulic cement for small fixes, but had to mix and use mortar to cinderblock in an old doorway yesterday for the first time.

I am concerned I didn't mix in enough water, as it seems to be taking much longer to really solidify than concrete.  It was the Quickcrete ready mix, just add water brand.

I mixed it to about the consistency of wet, really stuck together beach sand, then layed the blocks with the slop piled 1/3 inch between.

I was concerned about making it too wet, so it wouldn't dry, but am wondering if I should have gone for more of a pudding consistency.

Questions-

1. How long should it take for mortar to solidify?

2. What symptoms should I look for (cracking, fragile, etc...) if I didn't add enough H20.

Thanks from a first timer.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you mixed it just a bit on the dry side. Mortar is funny stuff. It can be a bit dry, you add two tablespoons of water and then it is too sloppy. It should be wet, but still stand up on it's own.

The bad news is the product you used is crap to start with. Quickcrete readymix is junk regardless of what it says it is good for on the bag. Too much sand, not enough Portland cement.

There are better pre-mix mortar products on the market, but I usually add a little Portland into what I am using (concrete or mortar) anyway. Any type of concrete or mortar in a bag is usually heavy on the sand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top