Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 2:51:17 PM EDT
I'm getting my Dad a Colt Cowboy .45 LC  for Father's day and would like to get the same barrel length that the Duke used the most in his movies.  My options are 4 5/8"  and 5 1/2".  Any John Wayne buffs out there who could tell me which one he used more often?

Thanks in advance....The Arkansas Rocketman.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#1]
In his most recent (better) films he used the same ivory stocked 4 5/8".
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking he used the 5½" bbl in his later movies.

Guess it's time for a John Wayne movie marathon. [kill]

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
HOLD YOUR HORSES ON THAT COLT COWBOY...

First of all, the Colt Cowboy pistols are much lower quality than the Colt SAA.  Of course, they cost $500 versus $1,400.

For a really nice single-action, get a Ruger Vaquero.  But don't take my word on these two issues...ask Bob Munden, the fastest gun who ever lived, and probably the foremost SA gunsmith alive.

As for barrel length, the odds are highly in favor of the 4 5/8 inch.  I'm sure Munden would know!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about getting one of those, too - BUT I already have a Ruger Vaquero (with no complaints) - polished stainless (looks nickel) with real stag grips.  I was more into those than ARs a few years back, so I have several SA revolvers.
CR
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
HOLD YOUR HORSES ON THAT COLT COWBOY...

First of all, the Colt Cowboy pistols are much lower quality than the Colt SAA.  Of course, they cost $500 versus $1,400.

For a really nice single-action, get a Ruger Vaquero.  But don't take my word on these two issues...ask Bob Munden, the fastest gun who ever lived, and probably the foremost SA gunsmith alive.

As for barrel length, the odds are highly in favor of the 4 5/8 inch.  I'm sure Munden would know!
View Quote

Yep, but it ain't a Colt.  If I was buying one for myself (to shoot a lot) I agree with you 100%, I'd get a Vaquero.  But this is for Dad, he might never shoot it, just fondle it as he watches "The Searchers" for the 97th time. I HAS to be a Colt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In his most recent (better) films he used the same ivory stocked 4 5/8".
View Quote

This is correct. It was Wayne's personal pistol. I saw it and the accompaning belt and holster at the Cowboy Hall of Fame a few years ago. The ivory on the stocks is very yellow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:11:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Whether it was a Colt or a Colt clone, the length of 4 3/4" was the most common. Not 4 5/8" which is a Ruger length.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I read somewhere that John Wayne, unlike a lot of cowboy stars, tended to use whatever handgun the prop guy gave him.  No idea how true that is.  It also may have changed over the years.

My recollection is that Wayne usually used the 4 and whatever inch barreled Colts.

However, if you’re dad’s going to shoot it and his eyes are going, the longer barrel might help a little bit.

I’m to the point where I need a Buntline Special!!  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#9]
The sights on a Peace Maker of any length are pretty useless. It's a point and click instrument. As for the Vaquero, I had one. I didn't like it. It was larger than a Colt SAA or it's clones. It was not a well balanced pistol.
The Duke used the same belt rig and revolver in many of his films. See True Grit, Rooster Cogburn, The Cowboys, The Searchers and several others going back to Mid 50's. The Searchers was made in 56. Cahill, United States Marshall, was made in 73. He wears the same rig and revolver in each of those as well as in  The sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, Rooster Cogburn and The Cowboys. There are others, I'm sure but those are off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the awesome info, I'm gonna whoop out the aforementioned DVD's (I've got most of them) and take a look.  The Duke would be proud of ya'll.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Is the Vaquero the same gun as a Colt SAA?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm purty shore it was 4 3/4. Now, how long was the barrel on his bow lever rifle? Can anyone spin cock a lever action like the Duke?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Nope, it's bigger, just as purty, but it is NOT a Colt.  Same basic design, however.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:05:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Is the Vaquero the same gun as a Colt SAA?
View Quote

No… It looks like one but is a much stronger/updated/safer design. They are great shooters and can be had for less than 25% of the price of a Colt SAA. If you want a good shooter and are not a collector the Vaquero is a much better option than a Colt SAA and they beat the hell out of a Colt Cowboy and are cheaper to boot.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]
4 5/8" and, like Clint Eastwood, he used the same holster and belt in almost all of his westerns regardless of barrel length of pistol.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
4 5/8" and, like Clint Eastwood, he used the same holster and belt in almost all of his westerns regardless of barrel length of pistol.
View Quote

Thanks, and I've seen several brands of belt/holster combos advertised or named as "Duke" style.  Mainly higher ride (not drop loop), dark brown leather.  Is this the type of leather he used?  I haven't had time to watch some of the movies again, but will ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks, and I've seen several brands of belt/holster combos advertised or named as "Duke" style.  Mainly higher ride (not drop loop), dark brown leather.  Is this the type of leather he used?  I haven't had time to watch some of the movies again, but will ASAP.
View Quote

I've found a replica of The Dukes belt rig. It sure looks like the original to me. See what you think. [url]www.ronsrigs.homestead.com/holsters.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#18]
That rig looks pretty close, But it seems the belt I saw was made of canvas, not leather.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#19]
One of his last movies, The Shootist, from 1976, he used the 4 3/4" model SAA.

[img]http://www.glendonswarthout.com/images/shootist03sm.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:34:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Arkansas_Rocketman said:

I haven't had time to watch some of the movies again....
View Quote

Son.....you're too busy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top