Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 9:23:21 AM EDT
[url]http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/hsn/20030523/hl_hsn/sars_update__may_23__2003[/url]

The just of it:

In Hong Kong, meanwhile, scientists say they may have traced the source of the SARS virus to [red]civet cats, considered a delicacy food by some Chinese[/red], the Associated Press reports.

The civet cat is a nocturnal animal that isn't actually a true cat. It's in the same family as the mongoose and resembles a small raccoon or weasel. Civet cats are hunted in Asia for food and to make perfume.

University of Hong Kong scientists say they suspected the SARS virus jumped from animals to humans, but they weren't certain which animal was the source of the disease. They say civet cats should be raised, slaughtered and sold under careful monitoring to prevent disease outbreaks.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:32:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It is exacerbated by the "mass transit" herding and close quarters of the populace....

Another reason I refuse to ride a bus or the metro on a daily basis.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as it isn't a true cat, I have nothing to worry about!  

[booze]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#3]
[b]Civet Cat[/b]

[img]http://www.drudgereport.com/civet.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
 SARS linked to Chinese eating CATS!  

Must be a small Chinaman or one BIG CAT!  [BD]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Fucking savages!  We should kill 'em all!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted: The civet cat is a nocturnal animal that isn't actually a true cat.
View Quote

It's [b]NOT[/b] a cat, actually or otherwise.

[img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/tiere/animal-smiley-027.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:03:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Fucking grammar patrol
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Fucking grammar patrol
View Quote

It's a dirty job but somebody [b]HAS[/b] to be the Grammar Nazi.

[img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/teufel/devil-smiley-011.gif[/img]

Edited to  be in compliance with the [b]Spelling Nazi.[/b]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:28:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's a dirty job but somebody HAS to be the Grammer Nazi.
View Quote

I believe you meant to say [b]grammar[/b].

It's a dirty job but somebody HAS to be the Spelling Nazi.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a dirty job but somebody HAS to be the Grammer Nazi.
View Quote
I believe you meant to say [b]grammar[/b].
It's a dirty job but somebody HAS to be the Spelling Nazi.
View Quote

You are too kind! Thank you [b]SO[/b] much!

[img]http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/teufel/devil-smiley-007.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the pink kind.  [;)]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

These savages are kill/Eat cats and now we have SARS.

Man why didnt Eisenhower have the balls and just nuke them back in 1953. Too bad it was just all talk just to end the Korean War.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I was watching a thing on the history channel yesterday.  It was called History Now or something,  they were talking about SARS and mentioned a possible animal to man connection.
Either by eating or sexual.  Similar to AIDS coming from monkeys,  by one of the 2 above stated ways.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Man why didnt Eisenhower have the balls and just nuke them back in 1953. Too bad it was just all talk just to end the Korean War.
View Quote

Nuking them wouldn't have done piss. They're like cockroaches, they would just scurry into holes in the ground and breed there only to reemerge later.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Nuking them wouldn't have done piss. They're like cockroaches, they would just scurry into holes in the ground and breed there only to reemerge later.
View Quote

If they would have nuked them back then I probably wouldn't be here right now. So I really hope that was a poor attempt at humor. As for killin'em all, why not try starting with me, I might have a little surprise for ya.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
And that concludes our lesson for today, "How to kill a thread."

cynic
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

If they would have nuked them back then I probably wouldn't be here right now. So I really hope that was a poor attempt at humor. As for killin'em all, why not try starting with me, I might have a little surprise for ya.
View Quote

Ooh...The newbie's pissed...

IBTL.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
NME... dude take a look at when tac45 was registered. Mar2002 then compare it with when you were registered????
  So, tell me why is it that when someone has lots of post, they think that they are some kind of expert or god of a message board?  
  ( I am better than you because I have XXXX amount of post ) ???  NO.  Probally some High School kid trying to tell us how tough it is to score trim/or grow up listing to Emenimnin shithead.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:03:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

IBTL.
View Quote

Not pissed, I just think it's silly to be talking about wipping out a culture because you don't agree with what's on their menu.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

IBTL.
View Quote

Not pissed, I just think it's silly to be talking about wipping out a culture because you don't agree with what's on their menu.
View Quote

I'm not saying I agree with any of the above sentiments, but shouldn't there be a common sense limit on what is edible?  What do Americans eat that Chinese don't, and that can be attributed to "cultural differences" ? I'm talking about the primary food source, not a restaurant or chain.  I can't really think of any.  We seem to have a much more conservative menu than most countries do.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Dudes...The Chinese eat all kinds of animals.  My Chinese associate got back from visiting home(CHina) and told me the Zoo story.  Next door to the alligator exibit, there is a restaurant where you can order dishes made from alligator.  They are palnning to open a tiger restaurant next to the tiger exibit soon.

"We eat whatever we want in China, the cat, the mouse, the snake.  Ahhh...it is delicious."
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh, Civit cats, whew, I thought they had linked SARS to the chinese eating P***y.[ROFL2]  
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Fucking doorgunner84. I should kill your ass for talking about my fiance that way bitch.

First off its not a cat (dumb ass, It's kind of like that thing you where raised on, what is it? Oh yeah raccoon ). But yes some Chinese eat cats but then again not the general population.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#24]
And with that I must add:

IBTL!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Dude get a reality check.  Not everyone on this earth is fortunate as us.  Protein is protein in the real world.  They what is available and what they can catch.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#26]

[b][size=4]Godless Commie Heathens![/size=4] [stick][/b]

[b][size=3]Leviticus 11[/size=3]
Clean and Unclean Food [/b]

1 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron,  
2 "Say to the Israelites: [red]'Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat:  
3 You may eat any animal that has a split hoof completely divided and that chews the cud.[/red]
27 [red]Of all the animals that walk on all fours, those that walk on their paws are unclean for you[/red]; whoever touches their carcasses will be unclean till evening.  
28 Anyone who picks up their carcasses must wash his clothes, and he will be unclean till evening. [red]They are unclean for you. [/red]
46 'These are the regulations concerning animals, birds, every living thing that moves in the water and every creature that moves about on the ground.  
47 You must distinguish between the unclean and the clean, between living creatures that may be eaten [red]and those that may not be eaten.' " [/red]

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Well dosent that make chicken off limits?
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#28]
[img]http://flatrock.org.nz/topics/animals/assets/that_wasnt_chicken.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:26:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Drinking beer makes you fat and drunk, eating greasy but tasty fried food will make your heart pop, and now eating pussy gives you respiratory problems, will the madness never end?

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Well dosent that make chicken off limits?
View Quote

Nope. Not on "the list" of unclean birds:

13 " 'These are the birds you are to detest and not eat because they are detestable: the eagle, the vulture, the black vulture,  
14 the red kite, any kind of black kite,  
15 any kind of raven,  
16 the horned owl, the screech owl, the gull, any kind of hawk,  
17 the little owl, the cormorant, the great owl,  
18 the white owl, the desert owl, the osprey,  
19 the stork, any kind of heron, the hoopoe and the bat.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#31]
a bat is not a bird

t
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:52:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
a bat is not a bird
t
View Quote
What's the biblical definition of "bird"?

And what's an "hoopoe"???

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top