Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The only thing shitty about the USP is HK USA. THEY SUCK. Good thing these pistols are reliable.
View Quote

They don't answer their mail either![V]

The online store is apparently run by different people, great service and prompt responses. It would be nice if they were running the customer support division as well...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Norman, I'm selling my compact for one reason only. It prints more than I would like. Otherwise I like the gun, and used it in the required AZ CCW class. No FTFs. Since it's hot as hell here now I'm carrying a SW PD340 that I can stick in an IWB without belt in a pair of shorts. If I wear jeans, I carry a P7. Neither is a range gun, but adequate for close encounters as most gunfights are. In Winter I carry a Wilson Protector Compact I've had for several years.
View Quote

This is one reason I'd like to stick to the Glocks to be honest.  Right now I carry a 26 in the summer (or mostly a Keltec in the pocket to be honest) and the 19 in the Winter.  I live in South Florida, so I know what it's like to try to conceal in the heat.
I also shoot IDPA, and think this would be a nice piece to use.  Although right now I'm shooting a Sig 228, and my main complaint is that I can't hit shit with the first shot.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I had one and switched to a Glock.

1) The control levers on the V1 can be challenging if you have proper technique, i.e., ride the safety.  If you do so you can engage the decock by pushing to hard, in which case the gun won't operate.  Very bad and scary if you need it.

View Quote

Publius,

All that needed to be changed on the variant 1 was a $10.00 detent (variant 5,6) and about five minutes time installing in order to remove the decocking feature.
I too felt the same with the decocking on my V1, V2 when they were new, both were changed out in short order.

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
blow-the-balls-off-a-gnat accurate
View Quote

[lol]

PLEASE let me use that in the future!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh yeah, just remembered.

The USP could use a steel trigger.  The plastic one makes for a "not so good" trigger pull.

Isn't there a "tactical" trigger?  Is that all steel?

At any rate, no pistol will ever touch the trigger of a properly setup 1911, so maybe we need to readjust our expectations.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:37:49 AM EDT
[#7]

[/quote]
This is one reason I'd like to stick to the Glocks to be honest.  Right now I carry a 26 in the summer (or mostly a Keltec in the pocket to be honest) and the 19 in the Winter.  I live in South Florida, so I know what it's like to try to conceal in the heat.
I also shoot IDPA, and think this would be a nice piece to use.  Although right now I'm shooting a Sig 228, and my main complaint is that I can't hit shit with the first shot.[/quote]

I feel your pain brother. I sold a Sig P228 with a bunch of hi-caps last year cause I couldn't get used to the damn DA/SA transition.  One of the reasons Tucson PD hated the HKs so much was the rules made it so they could not carry condition 1, but had to shoot the first round DA then transition. I guess they didn't want to scare the sheeple with cocked and locked weapons. The one nice thing about USPs is the ability to carry like a 1911, but field strip as easy as Sig or Glock. If I did IDPA, and didn't use as 1911, an HK would probably be my 2nd choice. By the way, I'm keeping both my TAC and Mark 23 as I have cans for both, and as was stated previously, shooting suppressed is the shits. And the TAC although too big for CCW would be my choice for a battle sidearm, as accurate as a really good 1911 and again, easy to maintain and fieldstrip. If I was a troop and had the option I'd carry it in a Safari 6004 thigh rig.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
At any rate, no pistol will ever touch the trigger of a properly setup 1911, so maybe we need to readjust our expectations.  [:D]
View Quote

Ahhhhhh Grasshopper....You've never shot a P7 have you?

The factory trigger in a P7 is just as good as most 1911's with trigger work.

Try one and you'll come to the dark side too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Duke- awesome picture!  I have a USP Tactical too.  If my life might depend on my handgun, there would be no question about which I'd take with me.  

What is that on the end of the barrel?

Where did you get your light?  How much do they run?

RLR
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Keasan, et al:

The distributor and customer service situation is about to change.  The previous owners of HK (British Aerospace, yuck), when you get right down to it, didn't really want to sell guns.  HK has been sold to a conglomerate of independent Brits and real honest-to-gosh Germans (not the fags running the govt. there, but REAL Germans) who are all gun nuts and want to sell guns.  They are building a factory here in the US, as has been discussed in previous threads (Steyr can you search up our previous conversation?), they are discontinuing the neutered and unsucessful SL8 (and probably soon the USC as well), and they have a very nice subcompact in the works for those of you who think the USP is just too darn big.

A few years ago the old Brit ownership kinda pissed off their distributor network when they fired half of them and told the rest that they had to order at least, what, $5,000 worth of HK stuff per annum to stay a distributor.  Why would they do this?  To continue selling to the LEO community while intentionally killing their civilian market, and thus any liability in the coming lawsuits.  Thus the general shittiness.  The new owners have signaled that this will change, they want a civilian market and they want to sell guns!
View Quote

That will be great! [^]

Steyr seems to think there won't be any civilian G36 though...[>Q]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Ahhhhhh Grasshopper....You've never shot a P7 have you?

The factory trigger in a P7 is just as good as most 1911's with trigger work.

Try one and you'll come to the dark side too.
View Quote

No, regretably I haven't.  [:(]

Had the chance to shoot one after IDPA, but it was either raining or I was in a hurry to leave (or both) and forgot to hook up with the guy.  I'd really like to though.

BTW, the fullsize USP .45 is one soft shooting handgun.  I agree that it would be a perfect "going to war" gun carried in a Safarland 6004.  Heck, in that situation I might even choose it over a 1911.  (Did I just say that outloud?)
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:57:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is that on the end of the barrel?

RLR
View Quote

That thing on the end of his barrel is a flash hider from Larry at [url]www.ccfa.com[/url]

I have one for my Tac also. And a thread protector too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:01:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, regretably I haven't.  [:(]

View Quote

I own two 1911's one with a Cylinder & Slide trigger in it. I was amazed at the trigger in the P7.

If you get the chance again, try it. You'll love it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Ah yes, I am a full blown devotee of the Cult of the P7. I've got the M8, a pimpalicious hard chromed M13 and a factory nickle M10. The triggers are as good as on my Wilson, maybe better. But, since they have gas chambers (leave it to the Germans to put gas chambers in guns) they get too hot for range use. And the M10 and M13 are bricks to carry. But for a defensive carry gun and a Del Fatti IWB, well....it don't get much better. NOTHING double taps like a P7, no 1911 I've ever shot. Most natural pointer after a single action colt cowboy gun.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]
USP is by far one of the best all around pistols out of the box.
NEVER jams (except wolf) and just by holding it, you can tell it's built strong.

Now the reasons why I sold it.

It's too big (Fullsize), triggers really aren't that great, and btw, did I say they're too big.

I for some reason could never shoot this handgun like my other smaller handguns. The stock grip is huge with sharp plastic, and adding a houge to make it form to your hand better and to also take the edge off the sharp grips will get you the fattest gripped handgun on the market.

Also, THE STUPID MAG RELEASE PITCHED MY MIDDLE-FINGER EVERYTIME THE ACTION CYCLED!!! WTF is up with that!?

The compact is the HK to pruchase IMO. All the complants I have with the full-size, the compact has resolved.

Best of luck and please don't be like me and shoot before you buy.

BTW: I'm thinking about buying my buddies USP compact .40 also w/.357 barrel for $600, yay or nay?

Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keasan, et al:

The distributor and customer service situation is about to change.  The previous owners of HK (British Aerospace, yuck), when you get right down to it, didn't really want to sell guns.  HK has been sold to a conglomerate of independent Brits and real honest-to-gosh Germans (not the fags running the govt. there, but REAL Germans) who are all gun nuts and want to sell guns.  They are building a factory here in the US, as has been discussed in previous threads (Steyr can you search up our previous conversation?), they are discontinuing the neutered and unsucessful SL8 (and probably soon the USC as well), and they have a very nice subcompact in the works for those of you who think the USP is just too darn big.

A few years ago the old Brit ownership kinda pissed off their distributor network when they fired half of them and told the rest that they had to order at least, what, $5,000 worth of HK stuff per annum to stay a distributor.  Why would they do this?  To continue selling to the LEO community while intentionally killing their civilian market, and thus any liability in the coming lawsuits.  Thus the general shittiness.  The new owners have signaled that this will change, they want a civilian market and they want to sell guns!
View Quote

That will be great! [^]

Steyr seems to think there won't be any civilian G36 though...[>Q]
View Quote

That is what I was told by the HK reps at the Shot Show. However, IF the AW Ban successfully dies SIG has plans to introduce a civilian 550 type rifle complete with all those evil features.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:22:53 PM EDT
[#18]
USP full-size 45ACP never jams.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:25:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Universally Shitty Pistol"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, there's your first ill informed, ignorant assumption right off the bat.
I have the USP.45 in compact and fullsize. IMO, there is no finer pistol made.
[b]Accuracy[/b].....out of the box, dead nuts on and as good as some high dollar 1911's I've shot. Extremely accurate for a service pistol.
[b]Reliability[/b].....Niether one of mine have had so much as a hiccup in the thousands of rounds through them.
[b]Concealability[/b].....This is a relative question because many people consider these larger than average pistols and harder to conceal. I have used both in that capacity with no problems.
They are my favorites out of the many, many I have owned and shot.
View Quote

We finally agree on something! [:d]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That is what I was told by the HK reps at the Shot Show. However, IF the AW Ban successfully dies SIG has plans to introduce a civilian 550 type rifle complete with all those evil features.
View Quote

[^]

Maybe the competition with SIG will cause them to re-think their decision? Then we could have both! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Seems like norman doesnt make enough money to by a HK USP. Poor soul. How many post you read here saying"the USP sucks", or "USP KB" sorry I havent and if you did It was some other sorry kid thats pissed at himself for buying that awsome charles daly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 6:43:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Seems like norman doesnt make enough money to by a HK USP. Poor soul. How many post you read here saying"the USP sucks", or "USP KB" sorry I havent and if you did It was some other sorry kid thats pissed at himself for buying that awsome charles daly.
View Quote

What are you talking about?  Or are you another result of the influx of pre-pubescent little worms into this board?  Couple of recommendations:
1) Don't talk about what you don't know.  This includes making ANY sort of comment about me; what I make, what I am, what I do, etc.  Leave me out of your very thoughts, let alone your unintelligible conversation.
2) When you post try to have a point.  No one here wants to hear your useless babble.  Take it somewhere else.  May I suggest the bacdstreet boys website?  I think you will find more boys your age (and sexual orientation) someplace like that.
3) If you do have a point, try and actually MAKE that point.  You can be the biggest genius in the world, but if you can't successfully communicate that genius, you might as well be a drooling retard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:09:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
.... However, IF the AW Ban successfully dies SIG has plans to introduce a civilian 550 type rifle complete with all those evil features.
View Quote

You are F'ing kidding, right?

Tell me you're kidding.

Can't be true.

Right?

[OMG do I want a SIG 550 series.  Preferrably a NIB noban variant.]

Why do you torture us so?  Why??

[>(]

PS SIG 550's are a sanctioned thread hijack.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#24]
it looks to be lighter than the aluminum frame 1911's.
View Quote

Sorry, but no.

Had one. (.45 HK USPC)
Loved it, and could live with the average accuracy, sloppy trigger and fact that it carried like a [b]boat anchor[/b],'cause, hell,it was an HK, right?

Until I shot a Kimber. Dumped the HK the next day for a Compact CDP Custom and haven't missed it a day since.

SG
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:40:32 PM EDT
[#25]
i have a compact 45 that functions great until the last round comes up and it stovepipes, the follower is worn, worn too soon for a $700 gun
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i have a compact 45 that functions great until the last round comes up and it stovepipes, the follower is worn, worn too soon for a $700 gun
View Quote

Dave call HK. USP's have a life time warrenty.

People talk about HK having bad customer service. The one time I had to call them about a USP9 fullsize I had, they were very nice, and I had my gun back in about a week. They told me if it was my carry gun, they would get it back to me faster.

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Just got a .40 HK compact. Shot it once, accurate and reliable.  Somewhat heavy, but I wanted a DA/SA.  They aren't that expensive, there is a .45 compact in the equipment exchange right now with NS, 5 mags, 4 holsters for $675. Hell of a deal- go for it!
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 8:38:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I don't get it BillofRights, heavy compared to what?

HK USP Compact .40 = 1.53lb

Walther P99 .40 = 1.93 lb

Kahr K40 .40=  1.62 lb

Glock 27 .40=  1.23 lb

Browning Hi-Power .40=  2 lb

Beretta 96 .40=  2.15 lb

Steyr M40 .40= 1.75 lb

Only the subcompact Glock 27 is lighter, I can't think of any other .40 cals that really matter.  Frankly I think the subcompact Glock is kind of hard to handle in rapid fire compared to the USP compact.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

Honestly, if those figures are accurate, then my H&K USP40c that I have carried for 5 years feels heavier than everyhing else...when I carry the Colt 1991a1 Commander with 9 230gr rounds loaded in it, I feel like I need to check and make sure it's still there.  When I carry the USP40 with 11 185gr rounds I know it's there by the strain on my 1.5" STIFF leather belt.

Odd...
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Obviously I own a Tac. The only problem I have ever had with my gun was do to me yanking the slide back when the child safety lock was engaged, bending the hammer strut. I think HK customer service is outstanding. HK fixed it for free even though it was my fault and even adjusted my sights for free and had it back to me in exactly a week.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't get it BillofRights, heavy compared to what?

HK USP Compact .40 = 1.53lb

Walther P99 .40 = 1.93 lb

Kahr K40 .40=  1.62 lb

Glock 27 .40=  1.23 lb

Browning Hi-Power .40=  2 lb

Beretta 96 .40=  2.15 lb

Steyr M40 .40= 1.75 lb

Only the subcompact Glock 27 is lighter, I can't think of any other .40 cals that really matter.  Frankly I think the subcompact Glock is kind of hard to handle in rapid fire compared to the USP compact.  Am I missing something?
View Quote

Glock 23 1.32 pounds.  Plus you get an extra 2 rounds.
Like I said, I don't see the point in 9mm or .40, but in .45 it seemd like it might be worth having.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top