Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/22/2003 12:31:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 12:32:45 PM EDT by u-baddog]
and got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been a bit disgruntled the past few months and it has shown up a time or two. I dont like my job, never have but it pays the bills and I havent hated it until lately. So I figured what the hell ask for the more than I thought this job was worth and take what they give or leave and find somthing else. I needed to ask for more because my boss didnt blink an eye, " OK, anything to keep you happy " he said . The down side is at this new rate there will be NO more time and half pay for overtime. I rarely worked OT anymore anyways. I just called the wife and told her to chill some wine and get dressed cause its a 4 star dinner tonight. [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:34:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 12:35:29 PM EDT by meltdown]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:37:11 PM EDT
Congrats!! I wish I could get away with something like that. What type of work do you do?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:38:28 PM EDT
Kick ass! Congrats.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:38:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:52:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:05:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:15:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: There's a big fat dead rotting rat here. He's stinking up the place. Something's very very wrong with this picture. CYA level should immediately go to DEFCON ONE.
View Quote
WHIZZZZZ That one went right over my head, so maybe I shouldn't even ask what it meant.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:18:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:22:23 PM EDT
[shock] 30%!!!??? u-bad, I think I saw something that gave me the idea you were doing pretty good. That kind of raise, [red]ir[/red]regardless is great!!! Congrats!!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:30:46 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed:
Originally Posted By fizassist:
Originally Posted By DoubleFeed: There's a big fat dead rotting rat here. He's stinking up the place. Something's very very wrong with this picture. CYA level should immediately go to DEFCON ONE.
View Quote
WHIZZZZZ That one went right over my head, so maybe I shouldn't even ask what it meant.
View Quote
Look at the thread topic agaiin. The guy hates his job, and his boss knows it, so his boss give him a 30% raise? Ask yourself if this makes sense on it's face. Then reread my post.
View Quote
Its too good to be true = you are gonna get canned. With this economy, companies just dont give out huge raises, they are looking for the cheapest labor out there. This may be the reason they need to get rid of you. "Well u-baddog is now costing the company 30% more while his productivity has remained constant......." Just be careful
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:33:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2003 1:34:02 PM EDT by Sniper_Wolfe]
Originally Posted By liberty86: [shock] 30%!!!??? u-bad, I think I saw something that gave me the idea you were doing pretty good. That kind of raise, [red]ir[/red]regardless is great!!! Congrats!!
View Quote
Viva el irregardless! [):)] Oh, and, um......congratulations! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:41:04 PM EDT
Maybe u-baddog is valuable enough to the company to justify a 30% raise. Isn't that how people go from being on a budget in their twenties to being 'comfortable' in their forties? (I'm still on a budget at 27, but that will change as I get more experience.)
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:08:17 PM EDT
Great news. My boss came into my office the other after hearing about a job interview I have scheduled with the USMS. He asked what it would take to keep me? I was thinking 10% but you may have inspired me to ask for more.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:44:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By JIMBEAM: Great news. My boss came into my office the other after hearing about a job interview I have scheduled with the USMS. He asked what it would take to keep me? I was thinking 10% but you may have inspired me to ask for more.
View Quote
Many people will tell you to never accept a counter offer from your current employer. Once they know you are willing to leave, they will often start looking for your replacement. They'll often give you a couple of more $$$, but that'often just to keep you on until they can find someone else. Rocko
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 3:57:52 PM EDT
I didn't know you could celebrate on $7.15 Hr. Honey, break out the Bartles & James! [:D][;D][:D][;D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:07:36 PM EDT
read the cover story for time this month and then decide whether this post is farcical or not. it's one great big shit-sandwich and we're all gonna take a bite.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:59:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:14:35 PM EDT
time. time magazine. i know it's a rag, but it's a good litmus test of what the normals are worrying about. jesus, read a book! (or a magazine in this case) when the idiots that watch friends (i apologize for offending any idiots) are in a tizzy over a shrinking job market and a deflation of wages you know it's bad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:20:51 PM EDT
lets see $5.15 * 1.3 = $6.695 WOOO HOOO
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:10:33 PM EDT
I used to work at high-end German car dealerships as a service manager and got tired of all the crap that goes with it. I have no degree and but I have worked as a " field engineer" for several auto manufactures so I thought what the hell and applied for a field tech job for 1/3 of what I used to make as a service manager. So I got out and took an entry-level field tech job with this engineering company just to start over and get out of cars. I work for one of the largest engineering firms in the world. That was 6 years ago. I have come leaps and bounds. I have people with degrees working for me now. They hired me and were happy with my work. Every year two raises and bigger more complicated civil type jobs. The NO COLLEGE DEGREE thing has held me back pay wise. I am just evening out the playing field. Thanks to those who voice a concern that the company would dump me. [:D]I really dont think they will be looking to replace me. I know what my jobs cost and I turn a very nice profit from my jobs. My dept did not even turn a profit until I took it over. My crews and me are 100% billable to my clients with a large margin built in. But I will keep an eye out. [b]ilikelegs[/b] The wife already gave me the OK to go class III a while ago when I showed her how they hold their value. She's a CPA and likes me to have fun so the holding value was a deal maker. I have been looking. The mind says M16 the heart says HK sear pack with an MP5. I hope the M16 wins. I am pretty cheap and really hate to spend money. So the new money is going into the bank. Until I find a super deal. WHEEEEEE HHHAAAAAAAAAAA [:d]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:55:31 PM EDT
Congratualtions. Hey,you don't get things unless you ask. I was just told that we won't be getting even a COLA this year. [rolleyes]. Sucks but many of the teachers I know are getting laid off so I shouldn't be that pissed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:15:07 PM EDT
I was thinking of asking for a 30% raise, but present it with the option of walking if I can't get it. I've took 20k + in paycuts over the past two years, and a promised befinits package looks like a pipedream. It sounds great to be fully vested in a retirement plan, but not if there isn't one. I'll keep y'all posted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 5:52:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 5:53:23 AM EDT by u-baddog]
Originally Posted By pogo: I was thinking of asking for a 30% raise, but present it with the option of walking if I can't get it. I've took 20k + in paycuts over the past two years, and a promised befinits package looks like a pipedream. It sounds great to be fully vested in a retirement plan, but not if there isn't one. I'll keep y'all posted.
View Quote
Funny you mention the retirement plan because that is one of the this that prompted me to be unhappy. They had changed ours and I felt like I was getting the short end of the stick. I never told them I was walking or even thinking about leaving. I did say I wasn’t happy and I knew I was worth more than I was making,and that had alot to do with not being happy. The boss said " what would it take to make you happy?” I had already given it some thought and looked at the profit % and figured out the max this job should pay at it's present level and said " 30% increase should make me happy once again. " I would not have given a " Give it to me or I will walk " demand. I don’t like it when people do that to me. It’s much better to use facts and honey than to use demands and vinegar. I guess my post count will go way down.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:45:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By _twist: read the cover story for time this month and then decide whether this post is farcical or not. it's one great big shit-sandwich and we're all gonna take a bite.
View Quote
How is your lunch ? Mine should be great, some sushi and a couple Kirins should hit the spot. [:d] I guess this would be a shiy eating grin [;d]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:52:59 AM EDT
If one of my employees asked me for a 30% raise, I'd ask them for 30% more work. In the current deflationary clime, I cannot charge our clients 30% more for our services, in fact we lowered our fees by about 10% at the first of the year. Still, I gave our employees about a 10% average raise this year, in addition to enhanced benefits. I was able to offset the payroll increase through dramatic cuts in the cost of health insurance and rent for our company. I think the premise of this thread is absurd. Getting paid 30% more for a job one HATES is like getting a 30% discount on shoes that don't fit.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:53:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 8:56:20 AM EDT by u-baddog]
Originally Posted By DzlBenz: If one of my employees asked me for a 30% raise, I'd ask them for 30% more work.
View Quote
Thanks that made me laugh[:d]
In the current deflationary clime, I cannot charge our clients 30% more for our services,
View Quote
We dont have to charge our clients more. We are winning contracts in the present deflationary clime due to are hard work in the good years.The boss just isnt getting a new boat this year off my ass. I can get the boat. Not him, ME
in fact we lowered our fees by about 10% at the first of the year. Still, I gave our employees about a 10% average raise this year, in addition to enhanced benefits. I was able to offset the payroll increase through dramatic cuts in the cost of health insurance and rent for our company.
View Quote
One of the reason I was unhappy was our benefit package had been cut. Our office got a 3% raise. They gave us the bullshit line that cost was up because some departments had taken huge loses. The belt tighten was for the overall good of the company. I know what I bring in but I put up with in " for the company" Right up to the point I found out the office principle got a bonus. Why did he get a bonus and I get nothing ? That is what broke the camels back and made me HATE BEING RAPED
I think the premise of this thread is absurd. Getting paid 30% more for a job one HATES is like getting a 30% discount on shoes that don't fit.
View Quote
Rather than ridiculing me you should count your blessings that you have a job you love. My job is not what/who I am. I had a thread here last year that asked that same question " Do you love your job ?" you should look it up and see what the replies were if you think most people like love their job. Oh my boss just called to make sure I was cool with everything. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:58:43 AM EDT
I don't hate my job, but I am not developing work skills appropriate to my education. I am working an inbetween job in the company waiting for this project to get off the ground. The decent pay made it tolerable. I asked pointed questions about a benifits package and a timeline to project construction when I was interviewed several years ago. It just really irritates me to be told through the grapvine we will be taking a substantial paycut due to budget cuts when other departments don't even have a budget...No discussion, or a "thanks for taking it up the ass for the team." We are only an email away, or a phone call, there are only 4 of us... Many comments deleted before posting. Maybe I need to find another job after all.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:22:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By u-baddog:
I think the premise of this thread is absurd. Getting paid 30% more for a job one HATES is like getting a 30% discount on shoes that don't fit.
View Quote
Rather than ridiculing me you should count your blessings that you have a job you love. My job is not what/who I am.
View Quote
Well, apparently, what/who you are is someone who can put a discreet monetary value on your own misery and suffering, which is exactly 30% more than what your base pay was last year. By your own account, despite the admitted fact that you hate the job, you're willing to continue hating the job for a little more money. You're now in the position of having to do the job you hate as much as is required with no additional compensation, since you're now on salary with no OT compensation. My snide comment had nothing to do with the identification of one's self by the occupation that one fulifills. It had everything to do with the observation that for some people, monetary reward is the only thing they seek from their vocation. I've had a number of jobs that I hated, and I wouldn't have stayed at any of them for any amount of money that was likely to be offered. Sure, for $10 million a year, I'd eat a lot of shit, but that's not realistic. To me, satisfaction with my job has much more to do with my performance of the job and the opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer, a citizen and an employer. By targeting those ideals as my unltimate goals, the monetary and other rewards will come naturally. You have chosen the alternate path - grab as much money as you can and wait to see if the suckiness of the job goes away. It sends the signal to your employer that the ONLY consideration to you regarding job satisfaction in the money. Therefore, they now know that they can make you do anything they want, they just have to pay you to do it. Sorry that you're not getting a shitload of warm fuzzys from me. I'm just not one of those "I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness" types. As the principal of a small engineering company, personnel issues are the number one source of stress in our organization. I am acutely sensitive to those issues that continue to degrade our profession into a commodity by focusing on the cost of our services rather than the value of our services. You have made yourself a commodity, and your employer now knows - exactly - what your price is. Enjoy your boat. Hope you save some of your raise to carry you over while you're looking for your next job.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 10:08:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 10:52:59 AM EDT by u-baddog]
Originally Posted By DzlBenz: I think the premise of this thread is absurd. Getting paid 30% more for a job one HATES is like getting a 30% discount on shoes that don't fit.
View Quote
Originally Posted By u-baddog: Rather than ridiculing me you should count your blessings that you have a job you love. My job is not what/who I am.
View Quote
[red]Hit a nerve on that, one did I.[/red]
Originally Posted By DzlBenz: Well, apparently, what/who you are is someone who can put a discreet monetary value on your own misery and suffering,
View Quote
misery and suffering, are you projecting ? I never said anything of the kind.
which is exactly 30% more than what your base pay was last year. By your own account, despite the admitted fact that you hate the job, you're willing to continue hating the job for a little more money. You're now in the position of having to do the job you hate as much as is required with no additional compensation, since you're now on salary with no OT compensation.
View Quote
Please go way back and see when I started to hate my job..... It was when I felt I was getting SCREWED. Do you like that feeling of doing a good job and getting SCREWED ? I think not.
My snide comment had nothing to do with the identification of one's self by the occupation that one fulifills. It had everything to do with the observation that for some people, monetary reward is the only thing they seek from their vocation.
View Quote
You would like to work with me. I take pride in doing what I do to protect and provide VAULE ADDED services. I get great satisfaction from my job. I go above and the extra mile to make sure the client is happy. Hell my boss didnt even notice my performance had slipped at all . I did though. Does that mean I love it. NO
I've had a number of jobs that I hated, and I wouldn't have stayed at any of them for any amount of money that was likely to be offered.
View Quote
So you never asked for a raise in those crappy jobs?
Sure, for $10 million a year, I'd eat a lot of shit, but that's not realistic. To me, satisfaction with my job has much more to do with my performance of the job and the opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer, a citizen and an employer. By targeting those ideals as my unltimate goals, the monetary and other rewards will come naturally.
View Quote
I hope the people on the board that are unemployed read your sage advise it may help them out too.
You have chosen the alternate path - grab as much money as you can and wait to see if the suckiness of the job goes away. It sends the signal to your employer that the ONLY consideration to you regarding job satisfaction in the money. Therefore, they now know that they can make you do anything they want, they just have to pay you to do it.
View Quote
Spoken like a true office principal. I will never do anything anybody wants me to do just because they pay me. I can quit this job and be working in 15 minutes making more money. Why would I stand to be treated that way ?
Sorry that you're not getting a shitload of warm fuzzys from me. I'm just not one of those "I'd rather light a candle than curse your darkness" types.[red] As the principal of a small engineering company, personnel issues are the number one source of stress in our organization.[/red] I am acutely sensitive to those issues that continue to degrade our profession into a commodity by focusing on the cost of our services rather than the value of our services. You have made yourself a commodity, and your employer now knows - exactly - what your price is.
View Quote
I think every time your clients asks you to bid on a contract they consider you a commodity. Its all about cost and service.
Enjoy your boat. Hope you save some of your raise to carry you over while you're looking for your next job.
View Quote
I wish your office was doing better, maybe then you would have just said " Good for him, he's a nice guy".
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:36:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 11:56:31 AM EDT by u-baddog]
With my new found wealth I have become a member.[[:d] You Made A Payment to AR15.com Payment Information A payment of $20.00 has been sent to webmaster@ar15.com. This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *WEBMASTER". You will receive an email receipt for this transaction shortly. For details on your transaction, please contact webmaster@ar15.com. Amount: $20.00 Item Number: #0002 Item Title: AR15.Com Bronze Membership (1 Year) Quantity: 1 Total Amount: 20.00 edited to add payment
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:52:55 AM EDT
Time to spend some of that $$$. [img]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/Sony_HS-10.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 11:55:39 AM EDT
Originally Posted By u-baddog: [red]Hit a nerve on that, one did I.[/red]
View Quote
Rather, I did.
View Quote
Oh, sorry. It must have been your evil twin that wrote this glowing missive about your job:
I dont like my job, never have but it pays the bills and I havent hated it until lately.
View Quote
Please go way back and see when I started to hate my job..... It was when I felt I was getting SCREWED. Do you like that feeling of doing a good job and getting SCREWED ? I think not.
View Quote
I don't know. Your thread suffers from your attempt at revisionist history. It starts out that you never liked the job, now hate it, and just tried to shake out more money, or you'd find something else. Then, we get this:
They hired me and were happy with my work. Every year two raises and bigger more complicated civil type jobs. The NO COLLEGE DEGREE thing has held me back pay wise. I am just evening out the playing field.
View Quote
Two raises a year? Been there six years? So that's 12 raises, and you feel that you're still under-valued by 30%? WTF? OK, the chronology continues. After some flak, you offer a new tack:
One of the reason I was unhappy was our benefit package had been cut. Our office got a 3% raise. They gave us the bullshit line that cost was up because some departments had taken huge loses. The belt tighten was for the overall good of the company. I know what I bring in but I put up with in " for the company" Right up to the point I found out the office principle got a bonus. Why did he get a bonus and I get nothing ? That is what broke the camels back and made me HATE BEING RAPED
View Quote
Ah, the old office salary jealousy/management vs. labor argument. Consider this: the office principal has always been on salary, so his only reward for his long hours can only be in additional shares of the company or a bonus. You've been getting two raises a year for six years, but how many has the principal gotten? And what's it to you, anyway? The one thing that remains absolutely confidential in our company is salary information. Open knowledge of salaries only breeds pettiness and jealousy, which are childish things that do not belong in a professional office. So, pre-30% raise, you were being "raped". Now that you're getting a few more dollars every month, are you merely being fucked, or what?
You would like to work with me. I take pride in doing what I do to protect and provide VAULE ADDED services. I get great satisfaction from my job. I go above and the extra mile to make sure the client is happy. Hell my boss didnt even notice my performance had slipped at all . I did though. Does that mean I love it. NO
View Quote
So, then, you're able to do a great job at a place you don't like? Well, seriously, that is admirable. I'm not that way. If I don't like the place, I leave. If my heart's not in it, then it's not the place for me. How can you honestly make the diametrically opposed claims that: a-you never liked the job, and b-that you "take great satisfaction" in the job? Huh?
I've had a number of jobs that I hated, and I wouldn't have stayed at any of them for any amount of money that was likely to be offered.
View Quote
View Quote
No, I left to find a job that I liked. That's one of the miracles of capitalism: that it's easier to find a job when you've already got one.
Sure, for $10 million a year, I'd eat a lot of shit, but that's not realistic. To me, satisfaction with my job has much more to do with my performance of the job and the opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer, a citizen and an employer. By targeting those ideals as my ultimate goals, the monetary and other rewards will come naturally.
View Quote
I hope the people on the board that are unemployed read your sage advise it may help them out too.
View Quote
I hope so, too. I feel sorry for those that have lost jobs that they enjoy and care for. I've been in that position myself. But ultimately, I feel that one should seek employment that they enjoy and can do well, rather than just look for a quick buck. I worked briefly for (then US-Sprint) Sprint in the mid-'80s. The work was absolute mindless drudgery, and I dreaded every day I was there. They were paying me about $4000/yr more than the industry average for a guy with my background, which is a lot now and was a lot then, but I couldn't take the boredom and environment. I took a pay cut to leave, to find a job that was much more fulfilling. That led me to where I am today. Best move I ever made.
Spoken like a true office principal. I will never do anything anybody wants me to do just because they pay me. I can quit this job and be working in 15 minutes making more money. Why would I stand to be treated that way ?
View Quote
I can't imagine. You said yourself that you never liked the job, yet you've stayed there for six years. You say you can quit this job and be making more money in 15 minutes, so why didn't you? Why would you stay in a job you don't like for six years and make less money than you could elsewhere? You put yourself in a most unenviable position. The requirements of your job have not changed, you don't report any adjustment in the benefits, all you're getting is 30% more gross pay, which will probably net out to about a 15% net increase after taxes. I think you're already doing whatever they want, it's just now you're doing it for a bit more money.
I think every time your clients asks you to bid on a contract they consider you a commodity. Its all about cost and service.
View Quote
You couldn't be more wrong. We don't "bid" on work. In general, it is considered unethical for consulting engineers to "bid" on work. We offer fee proposals based on a specified scope of work. The scope of work determines the value of the services we provide. We occasionally provide services to a specific type of client on a T&M basis, which is commodity pricing, but we are providing a different type of service for that kind of fee structure. If a client wants 1.00 hours of engineering time, that's exactly what they will get - no more, no less. But if a client wants an engineered solution to a particular problem, we will offer to solve that problem in a detailed scope and fee proposal for our office to complete the work.
I wish your office was doing better, maybe then you would have just said " Good for him, he's a nice guy".
View Quote
Awwwwww... That would be sweet, wouldn't it? Well, buck up, big guy. You post on the Internet, and any number of cynics and smartasses will jump on the opportunity to quarrel with you. I took exception to the context of your claim of a 30% raise, and your rather inconsistent rationalization for it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:10:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Q3131A: Time to spend some of that $$$. [url]http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/hs10/Sony_HS-10.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Cant go it I just upgraded last year to a 32" and its way more than I really wanted.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:31:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:32:55 PM EDT
Dang!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 12:55:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DzlBenz:
Originally Posted By u-baddog: [red]Hit a nerve on that, one did I.[/red]
View Quote
Rather, I did.
View Quote
Oh, sorry. It must have been your evil twin that wrote this glowing missive about your job:
I dont like my job, never have but it pays the bills and I havent hated it until lately.
View Quote
View Quote
I don't know. Your thread suffers from your attempt at revisionist history. It starts out that you never liked the job, now hate it, and just tried to shake out more money, or you'd find something else. Then, we get this:
They hired me and were happy with my work. Every year two raises and bigger more complicated civil type jobs. The NO COLLEGE DEGREE thing has held me back pay wise. I am just evening out the playing field.
View Quote
Two raises a year? Been there six years? So that's 12 raises, and you feel that you're still under-valued by 30%? WTF? OK, the chronology continues. After some flak, you offer a new tack:
View Quote
Ah, the old office salary jealousy/management vs. labor argument. Consider this: the office principal has always been on salary, so his only reward for his long hours can only be in additional shares of the company or a bonus. You've been getting two raises a year for six years, but how many has the principal gotten? And what's it to you, anyway? The one thing that remains absolutely confidential in our company is salary information. Open knowledge of salaries only breeds pettiness and jealousy, which are childish things that do not belong in a professional office. So, pre-30% raise, you were being "raped". Now that you're getting a few more dollars every month, are you merely being fucked, or what?
View Quote
So, then, you're able to do a great job at a place you don't like? Well, seriously, that is admirable. I'm not that way. If I don't like the place, I leave. If my heart's not in it, then it's not the place for me. How can you honestly make the diametrically opposed claims that: a-you never liked the job, and b-that you "take great satisfaction" in the job? Huh?
View Quote
View Quote
No, I left to find a job that I liked. That's one of the miracles of capitalism: that it's easier to find a job when you've already got one.
Sure, for $10 million a year, I'd eat a lot of shit, but that's not realistic. To me, satisfaction with my job has much more to do with my performance of the job and the opportunities to learn and grow as an engineer, a citizen and an employer. By targeting those ideals as my ultimate goals, the monetary and other rewards will come naturally.
View Quote
View Quote
I hope so, too. I feel sorry for those that have lost jobs that they enjoy and care for. I've been in that position myself. But ultimately, I feel that one should seek employment that they enjoy and can do well, rather than just look for a quick buck. I worked briefly for (then US-Sprint) Sprint in the mid-'80s. The work was absolute mindless drudgery, and I dreaded every day I was there. They were paying me about $4000/yr more than the industry average for a guy with my background, which is a lot now and was a lot then, but I couldn't take the boredom and environment. I took a pay cut to leave, to find a job that was much more fulfilling. That led me to where I am today. Best move I ever made.
View Quote
I can't imagine. You said yourself that you never liked the job, yet you've stayed there for six years. You say you can quit this job and be making more money in 15 minutes, so why didn't you? Why would you stay in a job you don't like for six years and make less money than you could elsewhere? You put yourself in a most unenviable position. The requirements of your job have not changed, you don't report any adjustment in the benefits, all you're getting is 30% more gross pay, which will probably net out to about a 15% net increase after taxes. I think you're already doing whatever they want, it's just now you're doing it for a bit more money.
View Quote
You couldn't be more wrong. We don't "bid" on work. In general, it is considered unethical for consulting engineers to "bid" on work. We offer fee proposals based on a specified scope of work. The scope of work determines the value of the services we provide. We occasionally provide services to a specific type of client on a T&M basis, which is commodity pricing, but we are providing a different type of service for that kind of fee structure. If a client wants 1.00 hours of engineering time, that's exactly what they will get - no more, no less. But if a client wants an engineered solution to a particular problem, we will offer to solve that problem in a detailed scope and fee proposal for our office to complete the work.
View Quote
Awwwwww... That would be sweet, wouldn't it? Well, buck up, big guy. You post on the Internet, and any number of cynics and smartasses will jump on the opportunity to quarrel with you. I took exception to the context of your claim of a 30% raise, and your rather inconsistent rationalization for it.
View Quote
I am glad you said it yourself, cause your post screams it
cynics and smartasses will jump on the opportunity to quarrel .
View Quote
I think this should some it up. My office principal just came in my office and said he was sorry he had not bumped me up sooner and that the new pay rate will be retro from Monday of this week. He wants to make sure I get the holiday pay coming up in there. [:D] So thanks for caring !!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 1:32:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2003 1:34:37 PM EDT by DzlBenz]
Edited to completely remove content. I can't believe I wasted as much time as I did on this absurd thread.
Top Top