Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2003 6:40:52 AM EDT
Going this weekend.  What is the preferred method of carrying a loaded revolver in the vehicle?

We will be going through TN.  I know I'm OK there with my GA carry permit, but I know that NC is different.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Open carry is allowed.  Make sure that not even a slip of paper is covering the pistol.  If you get pulled, let the trooper know it's there.

I haven't had any problems with local or state police in NC.

Right now your CCW isn't good here, but we're working on that.  

[url]www.grnc.org[/url]  Good NC gun rights site with discussion board.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:02:33 AM EDT
[#2]
A questions about "open vehicle carry".

The poster above stated that the pistol must be in plain sight, and not covered by so much as a scrap of paper.

Keeping responsible control of a firearm in a vehicle must entail some method of retention.  Were I to mount a holster to the side of the console and keep my pistol there--in plain sight--would I be in violation? Would this vary by state?

How do you all handle it?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#3]
What about in a glove box?  Locked or unlocked?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#4]
[url]www.packing.org[/url]
It is my understanding that you cannot have a loaded handgun accessable in the car. It has to be secured in the trunk or out of reach of the occupant. A locked glovebox is a no-no. Don't know about open carry.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:19:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Cherokee and surrounding areas are part of the Cherokee Indian Reservation so there may be some local Reservation issues to deal with?

Also firearms are not allowed in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or any other National Park.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cherokee and surrounding areas are part of the Cherokee Indian Reservation so there may be some local Reservation issues to deal with?

Also firearms are not allowed in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park or any other National Park.
View Quote

2 very good points.  I guess it will stay concealed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

No wonder so many mexican drug runners, gowers, rapists and armed thieves operate freely in the national parks.....
Honest citizens arent allowed to carry....[:)]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess my plans to practice survival trapping and gill netting will be illegal also.  [:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Cherokee is a tourist town. So I'd be very leery of packing any kind of gun there. The indians might not care but if you scare the tourists, you will upset the indians.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#10]
[url]http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/firearms.htm#transporting[/url]

If you have time, go to Cataloochee valley in the park.  

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/sections/travel/FamilyAdventure/travelfeature_elkmarketing030318.html[/url]

A really wild area of the state it is.  An excellent, and exciting way to get into the park, from Maggie Valley side is to interstate 40 Hwy 276 junction. Get of 40 on Hwy 276 and turn right on Cove Creek Road.  This is a winding road up and down a mountain, with switchbacks and no guardrails!

Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
If your going to Cherokee & you enjoy [b]GOOD[/b] BBQ, I would strongly suggest a side trip to the small town of Dillsboro NC.
There is a small BBQ joint there called the "Dillsboro Smokehouse" and IMHO they have bar none the best pork BBQ on the entire planet.

Map to Dillsboro
[url]http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?Pyt=Tmap&ed=GLHLWOp_0ToptLe.6_1o6QgFiVlG8IDnZ08FVa8rsvqBjDM0u9_MP4wU4Wx5OVcx&csz=Dillsboro,+NC&country=us&cs=4&name=&desc=&poititle=&poi=&uz=28779&ds=n&BFKey=&BFCat=&BFClient=&mag=9&newmag=8[/url]

echo6

edit to fix link to map
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:13:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Before you try to go to Cataloochee Valley check to see if the roads are open. Recent flooding has damaged a lot of park roads.

If the roads are OK Cataloochee Valley is well worth the trip and you might bump in to an Elk.

Cades Cove on the TN side is also a great place to visit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top