Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 10:11:40 PM EDT
If you can offer any hard data that would be ideal, but an educated guess would be great too. I realize I asked for caliber, but when two rounds have the same caliber but are otherwise signficantly different, please seperate them (.50 AE vs .50 BMG for example)

This would include both military and civilian ammo stocks within the Continental United States.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Calibers? If I HAD guns, I only use less than lethal ammo in them anyway.

[red](Edited due to concerns.)[/red]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
.22, 12 gauge, 9mm, .45 acp I am sure are in the top 5.  Judging by its price, 7.62x39mm must be pretty abundant too.

.223/5.56x45mm and .308/7.62x51mm must be up there because they're standard military calibers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you can offer any hard data that would be ideal, but an educated guess would be great too. I realize I asked for caliber, but when two rounds have the same caliber but are otherwise signficantly different, please seperate them (.50 AE vs .50 BMG for example)

This would include both military and civilian ammo stocks within the Continental United States.
View Quote

whazzup? You intern for a gun-grabbing congressman looking for what to put on his new 'Ammo Tax' Bill?

Ask WalMart. Ask the Ammo manfs. I'm sure they can quote you their biggest sellers.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn..Do your own research.

Ever here of Google.com??

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
whazzup? You intern for a gun-grabbing congressman looking for what to put on his new 'Ammo Tax' Bill?
View Quote

Haha, nope its research for a videogame. Why would a congressman want to ban ammo which is mainly held in military stocks? And I've googled for like 30 minutes and I didn't find a single list.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
22lr, 9mm, 12 guage, 45 acp, 30-06
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why would a congressman want to ban ammo which is mainly held in military stocks?
View Quote
[:|]

[newbie]

[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:54:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why would a congressman want to ban ammo which is mainly held in military stocks?
View Quote
[newbie]
[rolleyes]
View Quote

Ok I guess the way I phrased it didn't make any sense, but I think that for an ammo tax they'd be worried about which ammo types are the most popular among civilians not that there happens to be 50 million rounds (or whatever) of 5.56 located in military bases in the Continental United States. Can't really say I understand the hostility I'm getting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#9]
The hostility is because you are a new member here and asking a question that reeks of gun control.  Plus you aren't willing to do any research yourself.  I mean damn!!  Go to any gun store and look at what most guns are chambered in.  Or go to the library and get a book about guns.  The fact that you don't know what are popular tells me you either don't own any guns and probably are a child.

Here's your answer

.22LR

30-06

9mm

.45ACP

after that it's just a matter of choice

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#10]
.22lr and 12 gauge sell at least a factor of ten more then the next most popular caliber.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The hostility is because you are a new member here and asking a question that reeks of gun control.
View Quote

New? I registered one month after you did. You meant "member with a low post count" I guess.

Quoted:Plus you aren't willing to do any research yourself.  I mean damn!!  Go to any gun store and look at what most guns are chambered in.  Or go to the library and get a book about guns.  The fact that you don't know what are popular tells me you either don't own any guns and probably are a child.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong, I have a basic knowledge of what calibers are popular, like the kind which would be obtained from what you are suggesting I do, but I wanted to confirm my guesses I was hoping that someone had authoritative figures. Also, I don't pay any attention to hunting firearms so I was hoping to get some more information about common calibers for those.

I would have said (in no particular order)
7.62x39
7.62x51
5.56x45
.45 ACP
.22 LR
30-06
9mm parabellum
12 guage
30/30
9x18 Makarov
7.92 Mauser

But like I said, I wanted to hear from some other people who are more knowledgable than me. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
no 'hostility' from me. I call it 'humor'.

If by "most common" you mean 'most sold', I'd have to say -

.22lr
12ga
9mm
.45acp
.38/.357
7.62x39
.30-06

It's just a WAG after the first 3
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:59:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
[newbie]
[rolleyes]
View Quote
Ok I guess the way I phrased it didn't make any sense, but I think that for an ammo tax they'd be worried about which ammo types are the most popular among civilians not that there happens to be 50 million rounds (or whatever) of 5.56 located in military bases in the Continental United States. Can't really say I understand the hostility I'm getting.
View Quote

I understand your 'clarification' even less.

And "hostility"??? [>:/]

My smilies were regarding your question.

[:|] = "are you serious?"
[newbie] = "if you are serious, I'm cutting you slack for being a newb"
[rolleyes] = "the answer is obvious"

Seeing that you just became a double-digit midget I tried to be as inoffensive as possible. [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top