Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 6:41:14 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a new van for the Rangerette and I know the Caravans have had  transmissions problems at least through 1995.

Does anybody know if this has been corrected?

How about any other mechanical problems with the newer models?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:49:00 PM EDT
[#1]
No, the transmission runs fine now.

What I REALLY like in the Dodge lineup is the Intrepid!  Drives like a dream, and gets over 29 mpg hwy.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:57:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Caravans and Voyageurs have transmission problems after 1995, especially when the shaft for the spider gears breaks loose and punches a hole in the tranny case.

I will never buy a Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth product.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I was told that the overdrive transmissions had the most problems. FWIW
AB
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Havent had transmission problems since 91' when the 4 speeds were first introduced. And it wasn't just Caravans, but all front drive V6 Chryslers.

They were all recalled and replaced.

Any one who says there is a problem with transmissions now, more than a decade later, is selling you a bunch of bull crap. Caravans and TCs use the same transmissions as Concords, Intrepids, PT Crusers so if one had a problem they all would.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
There may not be a recall ,but there is an above average incedent rate.Ask my sister.Three transmissions in three diffrent cars.I also have two friends with bad trannys.One in a van ,one in a Intrepid.I would not buy a front wheel drive automatic Chrysler product.I just dont have the luck.The very least I would do is spring for the extended warranty.I would mention your concerns about the tranny and see if you can get it at cost.It has saved my sister.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My Dad had a '97 Chrysler T&C.  It *kinda* had transmission problems.

The check engine light kept telling us there was a problem, but then it would go away.  The AC would start blowing hot air at times.  The trip computer was WAY off on most calculations.

Multiple trips to the shop FINALLY concluded that a chip in the transmission was the sole problem for everything.  Chip was replaced, and the vehicle was perfect after that.

There was no physical problems with the transmission.  It simply effected other systems.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#8]
One of my family members has a '95 Voyager with the 3-speed (non-electronic) auto. At about 20K, it started refusing to go into either 3rd gear or lockup until the transmission warmed up. Bi-monthly infusions of K&W Trans-X have kept it going to 60K, but it's anybody's guess how long it will last beyond that.

On the plus side, the Chrysler minivans are selling for just a fraction of the cost of most other brands (starting at around $16K for the V6 version with A/C, 3rd row seating, etc.). If you can't resist the low price, be sure to look into a good extended warranty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:20:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't know about the newer ones, but had to replace the trannys in my 93 Spirit and 98 Voyager, both when they hit about 85,000 miles.

Don't think I'll be buying another Dodge for a while (need to upgrade the Spirit in the next year or so).  Not sure what I'm going to get, but it won't be a Dodge.

vmax84
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top