Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 12:06:13 PM EDT
This came out in today's Miami Herald.  It is remarkable given that the Herald's editorial board is virulently anti-gun.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/5907337.htm

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/5907337.htm[/url]
Live now...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure about there anti-gun position editorially has changed. Many of the anti-gun papers aren't reporting anti-gun stories 100% of the time, I think it is something like 80-90% of the time though. This piece probably falls into that 10-20% category. I think here they are just reporting the news. Even the Pravda West(L.A. Times) reports a pro-gun story every once in a long awhile.

The news media can change its hats instantly, they can go from factual reporting to agressive advocating a view.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:42:25 AM EDT
[#3]
As a paper, anti-gun or not, I have to give them some credit for publishing the truth.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Three years ago, Jenne backed an unsuccessful bill that would have made
                     it a felony to own an assault weapon in Broward County.
View Quote

Florida, hang your head in shame [V]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
"The idea is that these weapons . . . will penetrate a bulletproof vest, they will go through a concrete block. And that's what our homes are made of," Leljedal said.
View Quote

That was probably the most moronic thing I have read in a long time.

Thank god we got rid of those deadly vest-ripping, home-destroying assault weapons.  Now I think I'll go hunt deer with my grandad's old .30-06, which is much less powerful. [whacko]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:11:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't you know it's the shape and color of a gun that determines it's lethality Admiral? You should be able to fire a bolt-action at point blank range and it harmlessly bounce off light clothing.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:13:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, good thing our homes aren't made entirely of glass, or else they would have to ban rocks.

[b]"Assault Rocks can wreak havoc on glass, and have been known to penetrate windows which our homes are made of."[/b]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:17:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I sent an email to the Miami Herald and the Sun Sentinel after CNN's first segment, complaining about media bias and Sheriff Jenne's political advocacy on the taxpayer dime.

Not sure if it was effective, but the Sun Sentinel also has a report:
[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cguns21may21,0,2609043.story?coll=sfla%2Dnews%2Dbroward[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Articles like this are (IMHO) the unintended consequence of the NYTimes scandal.  

All the news sources seem to be bending over backwards to prove that "They" can be trusted.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 6:40:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I sent an email to the Miami Herald and the Sun Sentinel after CNN's first segment, complaining about media bias and Sheriff Jenne's political advocacy on the taxpayer dime.

Not sure if it was effective, but the Sun Sentinel also has a report:
[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-cguns21may21,0,2609043.story?coll=sfla%2Dnews%2Dbroward[/url]
View Quote

Be sure to send an e-mail when they do it right. Prolly not many people do, and perhaps after a while, they'll get to recognize, and maybe even respect your opinion...Good job!![:D]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:14:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, so I wrote Ken Junne the following email:

Ken,

I wanted to thank you for your clever piece of propaganda disguised as journalism, specifically, the CNN piece you put together about weapons banned by the 1994 AWB law.  Thank heavens we have people like you who are willing to bend the truth and propagate falsehoods in the interests of public safety.  I know I will sleep more soundly at night knowing there is someone trying to keep off the street rifles that can blast a hole in a concrete block.

Of course, what really worries me are those .30-06, .300WM, .375H&H, etc. bolt rifles that will shoot clear through a house built of concrete blocks.  I can't sleep soundly knowing these are on the street and in my neightbor's home next door.  For God's sake get these banned too!  Just to play it safe, why not ban everything but Daisy air rifles?  Wait a minute, wait a minute, rocks will penetrate windows, won't they?  We're gonna have to ban rocks as well.

Ken, you are the worst kind of useless public servant.  Why don't you campaign for a law to ban stupid, self-serving sherrifs?  Now, that's a law even BSO, CNN, and the NRA would all agree on.

Most sincerely,
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well, I just couldn't leave well enough alone, so I wrote Ken Junne the following email:

Ken,

I wanted to thank you for your clever piece of propaganda disguised as journalism, specifically, the CNN piece you put together about weapons banned by the 1994 AWB law.  Thank heavens we have people like you who are willing to bend the truth and propagate falsehoods in the interests of public safety.  I know I will sleep more soundly at night knowing there is someone trying to keep off the street rifles that can blast a hole in a concrete block.

Of course, what really worries me are those .30-06, .300WM, .375H&H, etc. bolt rifles that will shoot clear through a house built of concrete blocks.  I can't sleep soundly knowing these are on the street and in my neightbor's home next door.  For God's sake get these banned too!  Just to play it safe, why not ban everything but Daisy air rifles?  Wait a minute, wait a minute, rocks will penetrate windows, won't they?  We're gonna have to ban rocks as well.

Ken, you are the worst kind of useless public servant.  Why don't you campaign for a law to ban stupid, self-serving sherrifs?  Now, that's a law even BSO, CNN, and the NRA would all agree on.

Most sincerely,
View Quote

Do you think he's going to get your point?  Somehow I doubt it...But you wrote a great note.  Thanks,

ww
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:15:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Articles like this are (IMHO) the unintended consequence of the NYTimes scandal.  

All the news sources seem to be bending over backwards to prove that "They" can be trusted.
View Quote

Good point! I think there is similar scandal brewing at the NY Post.

Sometimes it is real hard to seperate fact from fiction. For a long-time, I think a lot of us knew that they just made stuff up and wrote about it, but this guy just over did it. But I think the general public is will forget about it over, there is a lot of truth to the old saying of "out of sight, out of mind!" Anybody remember the guy/gal who won the Pulizter Prize that falsified the story a few years ago?
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Would not pass the smell test.  Florida law precludes counties and municipalities from imposing guns laws that are stricter than those at the state level.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#15]
shoot1k, you've got an IM.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You're from the People's Republic of Kalifornia and you're telling US to hang OUR heads in shame? [>:/]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Would not pass the smell test.  Florida law precludes counties and municipalities from imposing guns laws that are stricter than those at the state level.
View Quote

There's a longer/stricter wait in South Florida than in the rest of the state, so I don't know about that.
I have a cwp so I don't know what the wait is, but I know it's there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:50:33 AM EDT
[#18]
[b]"When a BSO employee fired a banned weapon, the camera showed bullets ripping through a cinderblock target. When a legal semi-automatic weapon was fired, the camera showed another cinderblock seemingly unharmed.

In fact, the bullets from the legal gun never hit the cinderblock. CNN spokesman Matthew Furman said the camera operator didn't realize the sheriff's employee had switched targets and was firing into the ground."[/b]

A few people in the Sheriff's Dept should be fired for this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top