Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2003 11:03:03 AM EDT
[url]http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjournal/essentials/police_reports/index.html[/url]

GUNPOWDER BLAST BURNS MAN: A Pike Creek man was in stable condition Tuesday in Christiana Hospital where he was treated for burns after gunpowder exploded in his fireplace, authorities said. New Castle County paramedics spokeswoman Kelli Starr-Leach said the 38-year-old man of Sassafras Court in The Woods at Pike Creek, off Limestone Road, was trying to dispose of extra gunpowder by throwing it in his fireplace. The man, whose name was not released, suffered second-degree burns to his face and first-degree burns to his neck and arms, she said. The house sustained minimal fire damage, according to John Stewart, a spokesman for the Mill Creek Fire Company.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
And this weeks DUMB ASS Award goes to.........

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:17:21 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was 10-11, I was at my cousins house in south central Utah. And we took about 2lbs of "old" powder,from the reload room, and piled it about 50yds out in the field behind the house. My cousin then shot the pile with a .222. The blast blew out two windows on the back of the house, and one around on the side. We spent two weeks hunting varmints for bounty to pay for that one.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's an applicant for this year's Darwin Award!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
OMG WTF

Thats about 1~2 minutes from where I live!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:37:49 AM EDT
[#5]
[noclue]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was a much younger lad, about 8 years old, I decided it would be cool to take some of my dads reloading gun powder and make a neat line going through the bathroom to the bath tub and right where I can turn on the shower if I needed to put out a fire.

Well it worked great and I didn't even need to put out any fires!  It left a nasty 15 ft burn trail right through the hallway, bath room and into the the tub.  All thins on my mom's nice light colored hard wood floors!!! Yikes!!![BD]

Needless to say, later on that night...

DAD>>>[furious]

Young Yojimbo>>>[spank]<<< Dad!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
When I was 10-11, I was at my cousins house in south central Utah. And we took about 2lbs of "old" powder,from the reload room, and piled it about 50yds out in the field behind the house. My cousin then shot the pile with a .222. The blast blew out two windows on the back of the house, and one around on the side. We spent two weeks hunting varmints for bounty to pay for that one.[:D]
View Quote

Setting off powder doesnt create a blast unless the pressure is contained in some way.
And the packages it comes in aint it. The packaging is designed against this. If you are saying you just piled up old powder and set it off, which resulted in this explosion, I HAVE TO CALL [BS]

I doubt the fellow in the original story sufferd burns from a "blast" by dumping powder in a fire either. This is the normal way of disposing of unwanted powder.....just not usually indoors in a fireplace.
Disposing of gunpowder in this manner usually causes a quick intense flare-up of fire. His fire probably flared up in his face.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I knew a kid who did this once... not real bright.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree with chaos4570, I disposed of a small of amount of powder pulled from dud WWII 8mm Mauser rounds about a 1 cup's worth by putting it into a pile in the backyard and lighting it. It burned for a few minutes, and it was out.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree with chaos4570, I disposed of a small of amount of powder pulled from dud WWII 8mm Mauser rounds about a 1 cup's worth by putting it into a pile in the backyard and lighting it. It burned for a few minutes, and it was out.
View Quote

That isn't BLACK powder. Black powder explodes instead of burns if NOT tamped-a good way to blow up a muzzleloader if you don't ram it properly- smokeless powder normally burns and can only explode if compressed too much, like in a overloaded cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#11]
what a dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have to agree with chaos4570, also... Smokeless powder burns pretty damn slow unless it is contained... atomized clouds will do strange things, though...

Black powder, on the other hand...

As for shooting a pile of powder and having it explode, I find it hard to swallow. At the same time I do know that nitro compounds will crystalize over time (albeit a LONG time) and become touch sensitive...

Jonathan
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That isn't BLACK powder. Black powder explodes instead of burns if NOT tamped-a good way to blow up a muzzleloader if you don't ram it properly- smokeless powder normally burns and can only explode if compressed too much, like in a overloaded cartridge.
View Quote

Although Black powder is Different, You are:

WRONG...Black Powder Does not explode. The reason you "tamp"it down is to get out any air pockets. Room between the powder and ball. These pockets of air leave room for expansion of the gasses that let off when the BLACK POWDER burns. Sometimes this will lead to a dangerous spike in Pressure.

If you break a fire cracker in half and dump the contents out, then light the spilled gunpowder, it does not explode. It fizzles and burns. The tightly wrapped paper around the charge is what makes the "pop" or explosion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I have set off a large mayonnaise jar full of gunpowder when I was young and dumb. It looked like a gennie coming outta the bottle. Very tall flame, No explosion.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Why would you give yourself the DUMB ASS Award?

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:18:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sgtar15
View Quote

Why would you give yourself the DUMB ASS Award?

[:D]
View Quote

Where the hell is that Bitch slap icon????

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 11:23:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:27:24 AM EDT
[#18]
In my younger days, I thought it would be cool to play a trick on one of my "stoner" cousins. He was always high or drunk or both. I dumped out one of those heavy glass ashtrays and completely covered the bottom of it with about an eighth of an inch of 3f black powder then dumped the ashes and butts back in. Roy(not his real name) comes in to the living room, plops down on the couch, and grinds his cigarette out in the ashtray. The resulting flash and explosion cracked the ashtray, burnt all the hair off his lower arm and burnt his fingers pretty bad. Everybody laughed about it but I felt pretty crappy that Roy got burnt. Thankfully he wasn't badly hurt and he even laughs when the story is told now, twenty years later.

Hessian-1 out!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#19]
and always be careful when cleaning a gas stove with gasoline..spilled gas MIGHT be dangerous.....[party]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
and always be careful when cleaning a gas stove with gasoline..spilled gas MIGHT be dangerous.....[party]
View Quote

Likewise for cleaning motorcycle parts in the wintertime - like the urban legend about the guy who wheeled his chopper into the basement to strip the frame and redo the engine. He used gasoline from the bike's tank as a cleaning agent.

Everything was fine until the water heater/furnace kicked on. [devil]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top