Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2003 9:53:31 PM EDT
web Accelerators for dial up..

all these ads for "Net-zero HI-speed" are making me look for free versions [:)]

Ok folks I need your help ..

do these things really work?

If so and you have used one your happy with and would recommend.. cough it up!

Yes ive done the searches and all that good stuff but when do those things tell the "real" truth.
some say 2 Xs as fast some say 5 times..
some say no-spyware
the ones that dont I will assume they do [:)]
I know these things arent "DSL" but some of us poor folks just cant afford to go DSL < thats how they spy on you :) > , and frankly on Dial up anything will help!

So what has been your experiance with them?
are they worth the down load time?

I used to steal broadband using a laptop and 802.11b but it broke and dail up sucks.. funny how a whack on the screen will send it flying :( ... PLS HELP!   do it for the children and their guns !

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
In my experience amy free web download usually comes with trojan or spyware.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I don’t see how it could. Your connection is limited by your bandwidth. Regardless what BS methods they say they use, the only way to get around this to somehow compress data end to end, thus using your SAME bandwidth more efficiently.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
web Accelerators for dial up..

View Quote

...are all BS. The only way to speed up a dial-up modem is to use a better modem.
Internal is better than external.
PCI card is better than On-board chip.
You'll laugh about this: ISA card is better than PCI card.
And the killer: A European version is better than one made for the US market.

So if you check eBay.co.uk or ebay.de and get a working ISA card (if your computer still has ISA slots) from Europe, this modem wouldn't be subject to the FCC-imposed 53K limit for instance.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#4]
well, they CAN make your web browsing APPEAR to be faster, since most of the time the modem just sits there, waiting for you to click a link. what these programs do is prefetch the links, start downloading the next page behind the links. It works great if there is only one or two links on the page, but what happens when there is 20? how likely is it to have already downloaded the page you click on? not very likely. These programs are not worth the effort it takes to install them. you're better off turinging off pictures, and then right-click and select show image to see the ones you are interested in, that will make the web seem MUCH faster, although alot more boring.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]
[size=4]update:[/size=4]

since everyone said "no.. dont do it.." naturally .. I did.. [:)]

I went with [url]www.propel.com[/url].

have had it for one whole day now..

I i saw a very noticable diffrence the first time on this site.. now.. its like night and day.
before:
click thread... wait .. wait.. top of page will load... half the page will load.. read that half.. wait for the sec half..

now..

click thread.. within 3 sec.. < at the most > page done.. < including pics.. of course large pics will take longer.. it [i]is[/i] still dial up .

Johny-Reno pics in the news threads are where I first tested it out.

Im sure it doesnt "pre-load" links cause a site like ar15 simply has to many..

downloading pics.. jpegs and gifs are now FASTER.. the trade off?  what you see is a compreesed version of the original pics.. in other words  you lose some pic qaulity and trade it for speed..

will not speed up anything other than text and pics..

BOTD threads are good now .. < wonder when FA.com is coming back up?>

I now have 6 more days to decide to keep or get rid of it..

I pay 9.99 for my isp   and will pay 7.95 for this  17.94 for < as it seems so far> faster internet.   not bad.

any one wanna try to change my mind..< before my 7 day trail is up >
any one wanna show a cheaper < read free :) > way?

seems to work for me to the point where I might < cause my 7 day trial isnt over and I dont want the service to change on day 8> reccomend this service.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top