Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 11:21:41 AM EDT
All of this MARPAT conversation has made me think bout something....

I have observed over the last three ARFCOM shoots I have gone to fellow board members whom I like, appreciate, respect and value opinions of, wearing BDU's, combat boots, interceptor vests, web gear etc.   while at the range (a large rock quarry).   Why?   I know BDU pants are really comfy, which I why I buy mine in khaki color so I can wear them with out looking like an invading horde or offending people like Cinnciatus.    

Is playing dress up really necessary at the range?  I have toyed with the idea of inviting politicians  and people new to the sport to one of our shoots, but wonder how it would appear to them to see some middle aged guy dressed up for a  LRRP just to blast jugs of water, old computer monitors, etc.    Does going "tactical" make us hit our targets more accurately or are people trying to roleplay, reinact or recapture some part of their life?  

I mean NO disrespect, and really appreciate the acquainances and freinds I have made at these shoots.   It was just something that was nagging at my  brain.    

(be gentle...)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
BDUs I understand, cheap, comfortable, durable, and easy to clean.

Boots, sure, same reason as the BDUs, I wear my old work boats, so I see no difference for 'combat' boots.

LBVs, webgear, well if you're shooting some kind of match, sure.  If not, well maybe a bit overboard.  BUT, if you don't have a bench nearby, it is better than stuffing 6+ mags in your pockets.  

Interceptors/body armor, not unless I felt I might get shot at, or I needed the exercise.  That shit is so uncomfortable and HOT.  But when I lived in CO and went off into BLM to shoot, I did sometimes wear a concealable vest.  There was a lot of shooting from unknown directions, so I though it was a good idea.  Also ran into a couple shady folks sometimes, so I felt a little more comfortable with the vest on.

Helmets, well that one might make me giggle a bit.

That being said, none of it really bothers me.  As long as everyone is shooting safe, they can wear whatever they want.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a few pieces of "urban" cammo,..but thats because grey is my favorite color[;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:39:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Well...the "shit" is NOT COMFORTABLE so I would say it's a good idea to get used to shooting in it now as opposed to when people are actually shooting back at you, no?

Practicing things like mag changes while wearing a vest is a little different than having your weapon in a vice w/ nice, clean mags laid out in front of you. Being "geared-up" gives you a chance to evaluate if what you have choosen to wear actually works and is practical for YOU, IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#5]
T-shirt, shorts or jeans depending on weather and athletic type shoes or hiking boots.
I do wear boonie hats though, in several camo patterns.
No Dale Gribble gear for me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
...offending people like Cinnciatus.    

View Quote

You'll note from my previous posts on the subject, that I IN NO WAY am offended by non-Marines wearing MARPAT.
I just think you'll look pretty stupid.

But hey, it's a free country.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#7]
why the fuck not?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not wear a green beret, while you're at it, eh Rambo?

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid62/p614f73ed671f2e6890d0e90a1f132ed1/fc1c4c97.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, the guy at the last Buffalo shoot (Sunday) who was wearing a vest, etc, is a cop.  In that case, I suppose it makes some sense to train in what you'd be wearing if you ever had to use your rifle.  

I thought about buying some BDU pants just for going to arfcom shoots, because it's good to have lots of pockets, they're comfy, and it's better to ruin them than a pair of jeans if you have to go down into the pit to set up targets.  

Edited to add - But never MARPAT.  Hell no.  I mean, that's just wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I wear camo when I will be in the field hunting.  I do wear a woodland camo boonie hat when shooting outdoors  to keep the glare off my scope eyepiece......

Otherwise I wear jeans and Vasque boots and short or long sleeve buttondown shirts and a NY Mets hat....

Do whatever floats your boat.  If I shot at a place that didn't have tables or benches or covered firing line, I might consider wearing BDU's so as not to screw up $40 jeans....
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

...I wear.... a NY Mets hat....

View Quote

Sir, are you a member of the NY Mets???

If not, I suggest you stop wearing that hat before someone pounds the living crap out of you!  Poser...

[;)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:33:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

...I wear.... a NY Mets hat....

View Quote

Sir, are you a member of the NY Mets???

If not, I suggest you stop wearing that hat before someone pounds the living crap out of you!  Poser...

[;)]
View Quote

Holy shit!

Good point...at this point though I think I could likely outrun them all, maybe even out hit them too.  I could probably make the Mets team if I was about 10 years older and had at least one arthritic joint that required surgery once a year.  [rofl]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, the guy at the last Buffalo shoot (Sunday) who was wearing a vest, etc, is a cop.  In that case, I suppose it makes some sense to train in what you'd be wearing if you ever had to use your rifle.  

I thought about buying some BDU pants just for going to arfcom shoots, because it's good to have lots of pockets, they're comfy, and it's better to ruin them than a pair of jeans if you have to go down into the pit to set up targets.  

Edited to add - But never MARPAT.  Hell no.  I mean, that's just wrong.  
View Quote

As I stated in my original post, I wear BDU tousers in khaki as they are just as comfy and cost the same.  Why must you look like a shrub?  As for cost,  wrangler jeans are $15 a pair at Target...I have yet to find BDU's that cheap.  

I know the two guys planned on wearing the vests at Buffalo as I saw the pic and read the posts where they planned on wearing them.  Nothing LE related in that one.   I don't know any departments up here where the officers wear interceptor vests for duty purposes.  Since the pit at buffalo has plenty of benches, web gear is not needed really....but hell I guess people can rationalize it away til it makes sense to wear it and look tactical.

Cincinnatus -  I only wear woodland BDU trousers (not even the blouse) for deer hunting.  That is only when it is too warm for my wool clothing.  I am only pulling your chain to rile you up.  [;D]

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm painting my jeep with digital camo except I won't use MARPAT because I don't want to offend. It's gonna look someting like my avatar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top