Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/20/2003 8:56:15 AM EDT
Not much too exciting here in the mid-Atlantic except for black widow's or maybe the crazy snakes I see in the water areas around the Chesapeake Bay.

When I lived in Florida I always couldn't get over how crazy it was to see Scorpions and shit like that in my yard (hey I moved from Baltimore to FL, so I wasn't use to that shit)

How about you all in the West or other parts in the South?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Armadillo

though Id hate to run into an Arma-dillo
or even an Eaglearmsa-dillo
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:58:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm from Brooklyn so the Buzzards here in VA still freak me out.

UGLY!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in South Florida now, and man we have all manner of weird ass lizards and shit.  Big ass water monitors, lizards that run on their back feet, I've seen some strange shit in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
ummmmmmmm..

My wife????

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
The two-horned democrat.  Nasty and venomous.  Flesh allegedly does NOT taste like chicken.

On a more serious note, I grew up in Florida.  Saw all manner of venomous snakes, black widows, and gators.  Once my Mom was bitten on the foot by a copperhead.  Fortunately they are not as bad as other venomous snakes, and she suffered only a badly swollen foot and mild malaise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:04:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I read about the drop bears in Australia.  I'm glad we don't have them around here.

Here in SC there's not a lot that I would classify as"weird", but we do have the spiders (black widows, brown recluse), a variety of venomous snakes, and gators.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Rattle Snakes, Scorpions, Wistlepigs, Chubacabras? (maybe)

One time I was camping, (and drinking I might add) I had no tent, I was just sleeing under the stars, and this little critter ran up, (on 2 legs!) stood on my chest and went YIP YIP! and then ran off.  I dont know what in the hell that was!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Salamanders
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Liberals, gun-grabbers and the Kennedys.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

New York?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#12]
It was my 12 1/2 foot burmese python, until I had to get rid of him. His name was Eugene, named after a Pink Floyd song. Got some funny pics of him wearing hats, rat balls hanging out of his mouth, and a few others.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

New York?
View Quote

Nope... NY has a winning baseball team. We don't.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

New York?
View Quote

Nope... NY has a winning baseball team. We don't.
View Quote

MA?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Ted Kennedy and William Finneran
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

MA?
View Quote

Unfortuantly, yes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:25:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget Jacques, Linsky, Creem, Reilly...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Scorpions, Tarantulas, and Gila Monsters.

(Phoenix, AZ)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#19]
...Walking sticks always seemed weird to me,
  Roadrunners or raincrows as I call em,Are kinda strange.
Strange is okay...But the 3+ foot cotton mouth sunning himself,That I dammed near stepped on,as I was casting around the pond & checking for bullfrogs for dinner, yesterday.Scared the SH*T out of me,Most times I can smell a "pit".He quickly slipped off into the uncut weeds & into the water...These, I find SCAREY !
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:36:05 AM EDT
[#20]
UP here, probably the Geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck").  I guess that's strange to those not from the Pacific NW.

Other than that, we have the Pavement People (other wise known as urban dwellers, city slicker liberals, etc.)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to have a veiled chameleon, very cool. He lived on a large ficus in our entry way. He could slap a cricket out of my hand from 2 feet away much to the delight of my kids and their friends. The funniest looking critter that lives around here is the coati. Sort of a raccoon body with a long ant-eater type nose. My son a a scorpion in a jar that we got off the porch about the size of a small lobster. it was so friggin big I wouldn't step on it. I picked it up with snake tongs and dropped in in a container of glycerin. The dinky ones are more deadly and glow under a blue light, but these giant ones give me the creeps!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:02:56 AM EDT
[#22]
speaking of armadillos, theres one of those bastards out there somewhere that has made it his lifes mission to root up every inch of my yard

roadrunners
armadillos
opossums
coyotes
rattlesnakes
water moccasins
scorpions
daddy long legs
wild hogs
jackrabbits/cottontails
etc........

you.........friggin.............name...........it
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Well here in the fine state of Illinois, the most dangerous reptiles we have are  the Chicago Democrats.   The biggest snake is called Daley.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#24]
in the Delaware River we get Lamprey Eels. They have the weirdest set of gills ever, and the scariest goddamn teeth in the whole world. When snorkeling in the river they are my worst fear, even though I've had fish swim up my shorts.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't forget Jacques, Linsky, Creem, Reilly...
View Quote

No, I know, but thinking of this as a national board, I left out a few.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
in the Delaware River we get Lamprey Eels. They have the weirdest set of gills ever, and the scariest goddamn teeth in the whole world. When snorkeling in the river they are my worst fear, [red]even though I've had fish swim up my shorts.[/red]
View Quote

Was it a "sucker"?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:35:17 AM EDT
[#27]
That's easy.  The Giant Sewer Rat and it's nemisis the fabled Sewer Crocidile/Aligator.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:43:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Squirls are about as crazy as it gets over here. Except for the dogs next door that want to eat me.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:56:53 AM EDT
[#29]
gars are all over down here in the south. they have long mouths full of teeth. kind of look like an alligators mouth, hence the name alligator gar.

my father in law told me about a huge snapping turtle he and his brother caught. they wrestled it into the bed of his truck. when they got home they were poking it with a baseball bat, and it bit the baseball bat in half. (they let it go after they showed it off).

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:06:22 AM EDT
[#30]

[img]http://members.cox.net/the-macallan/MacsPics1/McCain_Angry.JPG[/img]

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Australian drop bears:

[url]http://library.trinity.wa.edu.au/subjects/english/fant/drop.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#32]
[img]http://www.gasp-pgh.org/images/davidson-waxman.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:17:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Armadillo and we have been seeing quite a few cotton mouth snakes. I confirmed 15 kills two weekends ago in a all day fishing trip in MS. some guys we work with killed 26 in LA the same day in 4 hours.
I asked my friend not to go into this back water channel but he would not listen. After I shot the first three or four I quit fishing and was on the hunt. He told me just don't shoot the boat if one falls in from a tree branch or something. I informed him if we go under any tree branches  
#1 He was getting a ass beating.
#2 If one came in the boat stay tuned he would get to see a white man walk on water.
#3 I cannot nor will not hold my actions accountable if a snake gets close to me and I have a gun in my hand.[}:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#34]
West Texas
Rattlesnakes
Coyotes
Assortment of spiders
The Double Breasted Mattress Thrasher! :-)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:22:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#37]
We used to have a really strange creature in this area.  Its Latin name is Paticus Schroederus.  It kind of resembles a squinty eyes lizard (or a democrat politician, who can really tell the difference), and can disguise itself by changing into a bunny suit and going to the Great Wall of China.

Oddly, after several brief sightings in the Denver area (usually during election time), Paticus Schroederus has practically vanished from the Colorado wildlife landscape.  

Currently, there have been various reported sightings of this creature in the eastern part of the country, typically around Washington, D.C.  

If you live in that area, your best chance at sighting Paticus Schroederus is to hang around high-profile events that defy common sense.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#38]
[img]http://www.movieprop.com/V/dianafinal[/img]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.movieprop.com/V/dianafinal[/url]
View Quote

She lives in your area?

Kinda hot unless you happen to peel off the skin that covers her lizard body.

I'd hit if she wasn't trying to steal all of our water and freeze-drying people for food.
[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:50:14 PM EDT
[#40]
There is a homeless wino Yaphet Koto looking guy here who goes around to womenz asking if they want to see his black snake.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
One time I was camping, (and drinking I might add) I had no tent, I was just sleeing under the stars, and this little critter ran up, (on 2 legs!) stood on my chest and went YIP YIP! and then ran off.  I dont know what in the hell that was!
View Quote

Baby sasquatch?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I grew up in the Mojave desert and thought we had some wierd reptiles out there, but know that I live in the DC area I realize just how wierd all those snakes and lizards can get.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[url]http://www.movieprop.com/V/dianafinal[/url]
View Quote

She lives in your area?

Kinda hot unless you happen to peel off the skin that covers her lizard body.

I'd hit if she wasn't trying to steal all of our water and freeze-drying people for food.
[:D]
View Quote

LOL!  She took off on a spaceship and never came back.

They have [b]V[/b] on DVD now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:27:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
UP here, probably the Geoduck (pronounced "gooey duck").  I guess that's strange to those not from the Pacific NW.

Other than that, we have the Pavement People (other wise known as urban dwellers, city slicker liberals, etc.)
View Quote

I DO live here and I think they're strange.  Picture a clam the size of football with a  1 1/2 foot long neck sticking out one end.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#45]
I swear one time I was driving in the Sierra mountains and I saw  what appeared to be a reptile run across the road.

I swear it was running on two legs and not four.  One of the only reptiles that I know of which run on two legs is the [i]Chlamydosaurus kingi[/i] frilled dragon.

[img]http://www.reptilemuseum.com/images/museum/frilldrag.jpg[/img]

Maybe someone let some go in the mountains?  Pretty damm expensive.

Could it survive in that environment?  Sometimes it snows.

Any herps here?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Not counting my nextdoor neighbor who sleeps with her German Shepard I'd have to say the Potato Bug. Scary as hell, when you're 9 or 10.
Don't believe me, do a google picture search for "Jerusalem Cricket".
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I DO live here and I think they're strange.  Picture a clam the size of football with a  1 1/2 foot long neck sticking out one end.

- Nw -
View Quote

Not bad tasting ( too chewy ) but weird looking as hell!

From this:

[img]http://www.jamestowntribe.org/geoduck/geoducks.jpeg[/img]

To this:

[img]http://www.origamirestaurant.com/sushi/images/sushi_mirugai.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There is a homeless wino Yaphet Koto looking guy here who goes around to womenz asking if they want to see his black snake.
View Quote

You watching 007 again?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:02:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

From this:

[url]http://www.jamestowntribe.org/geoduck/geoducks.jpeg[/url]

View Quote

Now that is one well hung clam!!! I'd hate to see what they look like when aroused or angry.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From this:

[url]http://www.jamestowntribe.org/geoduck/geoducks.jpeg[/url]

View Quote

Now that is one well hung clam!!! I'd hate to see what they look like when aroused or angry.[:D]
View Quote

Oh Lord, don't think I'll be eating that clam again.  

Abalone is much better anyways.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top