User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mach:

So I should try to keep the urine low otherwise I am eating too much fat?

I need to get a book on this. I don't know what I am doing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dan_Gray:
I started Keto 5 days ago

I have the strips. I am currently running 5-15 mg/dl

what number is optimal? I would have thought it would be higher

You can't fine tune with urine strips, in is in.  To fine  tune yoy need to blood test,  but it's mostly an unnecessary expense.  And you may later stop showing anything on the urine strips.  Some people nail it so perfectly that they're in ketosis, but don't spill excess ketones

So bigger is not better then?

With urine,  no.  Is just the excess acetoacetate that the body didn't convert to fuel/beta hydroxybutyrate.

So I should try to keep the urine low otherwise I am eating too much fat?

I need to get a book on this. I don't know what I am doing.

YEs, buy a few books, watch a bunch of youtube videos.  Watch out for the "Bros" who will advocate "refeeding," etc.

And no, just start ignoring the urine strips.  You're in!  or should I say urINE!  But the glucometer/ketometer is worth it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Strikeforces:
How do you reach the fat macros?

Eating some kind of oil by itself....?
View Quote

Fat is a max,  don't strive for it.  It's to get you full, and to show your body another fuel
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:34:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
The lack of carbs puts you into ketosis, not the amount of fat.
View Quote

Technically true, BUT eating fat is like priming the pump for transition.  Also, the fat curbs cravings and appetite.

Use fat as a tool to break the carb addiction and prime the pump.  Once you have actual keto numbers and some good water weight shedding, you can ramp down total consumption, maintaining good macro ratios.  Minimum 70 percent of calories from fat.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:37:56 PM EDT
[#4]

You're right,  crazy as shit. And not very smart, since it can slow you're metabolism, and doesn't really do anything for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stoutbeer9:
Whenever I need to lose a little weight, I stop eating as much. Crazy shit, but it works.

You're right,  crazy as shit. And not very smart, since it can slow you're metabolism, and doesn't really do anything for you.

Actually, this is a moving scale; depends on your age, your weight and the amount of metabolic damage you've done through constant overexposure to carbs over the course of a few decades.

Also depends on genetics-- however, for MOST people, if you replace carb calories with fat calories one-to-one you will lose  someweight.  If you want to REALLY lose weight, eat high fat ratio but ramp down total calories.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Lazy keto for four months now. Down 40 pounds from 290 to 250 @ 6'4". Wife is down great as well.

Easy cheap, tasty.

Wife thinks I am to thin now, may have to up my carbs
View Quote

DON'T!!!!!!!!  Up your fat and protein.

Upping carbs leads to re-ignited cravings and poorer overall health.  Lower brain function, and probably less sex drive.  Maybe she'd prefer that????/
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
i would suggest miralax to you guys,   I went from crapping 3 times a day, to a few rabbit turds a day.  Constipation comes with any low carb diet.  
On the good news, heartburn is gone now, i barely ever fart, and my Cholesterol went down 35 points in the few 5 months.    I sleep way better and energy is up, down 82lbs as of now.
View Quote

Not enough green veggies.  Dark green lettuce. . . . . . . . .

Also, magnesium citrate is pretty natural, although it tastes disgusting.  Miralax is a chemical thing and can create dependence.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Sounds dumb. I worked hard for my muscles I don't want them to go away.

So the real question is; do you even lift, bro?
View All Quotes
Whenever I need to lose a little weight, I stop eating as much. Crazy shit, but it works.

Your muscles are pumped up with water-- cutting carbs will deplete this a bit.  You'll have to balance this "loss" of size (not strength, if your protein intake is on target) with the enormous benefits of being smarter and having energy all day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 9:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Geohans] [#8]

View Quote

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;
coconut oil/butter/cream in your coffee.  Lots of olive oil too.

When you have some Kerrygold grass fed butter on the table and you can't resist just scooping some up and putting it in your mouth to let it melt on your tongue, you'll know you're in.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:15:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#9]
Originally Posted By Geohans:

Your muscles are pumped up with water-- cutting carbs will deplete this a bit.  You'll have to balance this "loss" of size (not strength, if your protein intake is on target) with the enormous benefits of being smarter and having energy all day.
View All Quotes

Do you even read before you post, bro?
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:18:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Respectfully disagree. . . . . . . . chicken legs/thighs, good quality pork and beef, good quality butter-- but add into the PLUS column savings on all the chips, etc.  On average you'll consume 400 calories less on keto per day than standard American Diet.

Also what WAS your beer budget?  You may spend a bit more on food, but you're saving elsewhere.  Then calculate the long term liability of health problems associated with 20-30 extra pounds of body fat---- and seriously no way this is a losing proposition.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JamesTheScot:
Originally Posted By Stoney0102:
Originally Posted By MyName1sMud:
I've thought about doing it myself....

Just can't decide if it's right for me or not.

Agreed. Some of the big questions I have are can it be done relatively cheap and what's the cycle for staying in ketosis? I know you have to come out periodically with a carbon heavy meal.

Forget doing it cheap, IMHO.  You will burn out doing that.

There's a reason restaurants favor high carb menu content. Carbs are cheap to get on the plate...both from an acquisition cost and a shelf life/waste cost analysis.  So they can add bulk to the dishes for pennies rather than killing their margins with fresh proteins and vegetables.

If you try to go too cheap, you will inevitably run into the issue of your menu getting stale.  As an example, you can only fix eggs so many ways before you get tired of them.  If you have a lot of variety in the rest of the dish, you handle the monotony of the same or similar proteins from day to day. But when the protein IS the bulk of the dish, and you aren't hiding it amongst a bunch of carb loaded sides, that monotony really becomes noticeable. At some point, you won't care whether it's an omelet or sunny side up, you'll just be tired of eggs.

I fight this battle with my wife all the time.  You can't go low carb without opening up the pocket book.  Eating fresh and trying to maintain variety in the menu costs money.  A lb. of spaghetti costs $0.99. While ground beef (70/30) costs over $2.00 a lb. and the spaghetti can sit in the pantry unrefrigerated for months at a time. Even if you pounce on sales and try to freeze it, the meat still has to be defrosted first.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for it. But there are real logistical and financial elements of the lifestyle change that matter.

Respectfully disagree. . . . . . . . chicken legs/thighs, good quality pork and beef, good quality butter-- but add into the PLUS column savings on all the chips, etc.  On average you'll consume 400 calories less on keto per day than standard American Diet.

Also what WAS your beer budget?  You may spend a bit more on food, but you're saving elsewhere.  Then calculate the long term liability of health problems associated with 20-30 extra pounds of body fat---- and seriously no way this is a losing proposition.

All of which still cost more than the grain based diet that the food pyramid promotes.  And sure, you won't be buying chips. But you're instead going to be buying almonds and nuts.  Have you seen what almonds and tree nuts cost these days?

You ARE going to spend more. You may consume 400 fewer calories, but those calories in terms of a per calorie cost are much higher.

Will you save money in other areas such as medical bills?  Possibly.  But I don't know that there are good studies that accurately show exactly how much offset there really is.

I'm not saying not to do it. I believe it works. But you can't switch from macaroni and cheese in a box to "good quality pork and beef" without spending more money.  And I never have to throw out the mac and cheese box because I didn't get around to cooking it. Nor did I have to pay for refrigeration or freezing to preserve it.

How can the poor so often be obese?  Because they can afford to be because the carb-based diet is so inexpensive both in the cost to procure and the cost to store.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#11]

All of which still cost more than the grain based diet that the food pyramid promotes.  And sure, you won't be buying chips. But you're instead going to be buying almonds and nuts.  Have you seen what almonds and tree nuts cost these days?

You ARE going to spend more. You may consume 400 fewer calories, but those calories in terms of a per calorie cost are much higher.

Will you save money in other areas such as medical bills?  Possibly.  But I don't know that there are good studies that accurately show exactly how much offset there really is.

I'm not saying not to do it. I believe it works. But you can't switch from macaroni and cheese in a box to "good quality pork and beef" without spending more money.  And I never have to throw out the mac and cheese box because I didn't get around to cooking it. Nor did I have to pay for refrigeration or freezing to preserve it.

How can the poor so often be obese?  Because they can afford to be because the carb-based diet is so inexpensive both in the cost to procure and the cost to store.
View All Quotes

Agreed. Some of the big questions I have are can it be done relatively cheap and what's the cycle for staying in ketosis? I know you have to come out periodically with a carbon heavy meal.

There's a reason restaurants favor high carb menu content. Carbs are cheap to get on the plate...both from an acquisition cost and a shelf life/waste cost analysis.  So they can add bulk to the dishes for pennies rather than killing their margins with fresh proteins and vegetables.

If you try to go too cheap, you will inevitably run into the issue of your menu getting stale.  As an example, you can only fix eggs so many ways before you get tired of them.  If you have a lot of variety in the rest of the dish, you handle the monotony of the same or similar proteins from day to day. But when the protein IS the bulk of the dish, and you aren't hiding it amongst a bunch of carb loaded sides, that monotony really becomes noticeable. At some point, you won't care whether it's an omelet or sunny side up, you'll just be tired of eggs.

I fight this battle with my wife all the time.  You can't go low carb without opening up the pocket book.  Eating fresh and trying to maintain variety in the menu costs money.  A lb. of spaghetti costs $0.99. While ground beef (70/30) costs over $2.00 a lb. and the spaghetti can sit in the pantry unrefrigerated for months at a time. Even if you pounce on sales and try to freeze it, the meat still has to be defrosted first.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for it. But there are real logistical and financial elements of the lifestyle change that matter.

A whole cooked chicken only costs $6. That's 3 meals for someone who doesn't work out. Add in some olive oil and you could easily meet calories and macros.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]
My grocery bill has gone way down, and I buy free roaming beef, etc
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Upping carbs leads to re-ignited cravings and poorer overall health.  Lower brain function, and probably less sex drive.  Maybe she'd prefer that????/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:
Lazy keto for four months now. Down 40 pounds from 290 to 250 @ 6'4". Wife is down great as well.

Easy cheap, tasty.

Wife thinks I am to thin now, may have to up my carbs

Yeah I know she just doesn't like feeling my ribs. Calc say I should end up around 200.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 11:27:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm dying,  a friend from high school just looked me up on Facebook.  She's now a cardiac nurse. She asked how I lost all the weight.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:13:16 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

You called me bro; do I know you??

Tell me what you don't understand, and I'll do my best to help you.

Gym rats need to adjust protein levels.  But they can use KETO to make overall gains if they understand how their metabolism works.

If the only thing you care about is the circumference of your biceps, then keto might not be your thing.  Good luck to you!
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:16:18 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

If "macaroni and cheese in a box" is your baseline, I'm not sure anyone can help you.
If you think living on mac n cheese in a box is cheaper in the long run than eating real food, then good luck!  I hope you live past 65.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:37:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DesuDurDesu] [#17]

Gym rats need to adjust protein levels.  But they can use KETO to make overall gains if they understand how their metabolism works.

If the only thing you care about is the circumference of your biceps, then keto might not be your thing.  Good luck to you!
View All Quotes

Water retention, keto works for gains for me -
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Still not reading, bro.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#19]
I was on Keto for 6 weeks about three months ago and dropped 20lbs (260 to 240). Only reason I got off of it was due to our house flooding and having to live with the inlaws. I've only gained back a pound or so and that was from stress eating.

I had the Keto flu BAD when I first started, it lasted over a week. I just started again this past Monday (6/13) and only felt a little sluggish for a couple of days. Now I'm  feeling great and my energy is coming back quick.

A close friend of mine has dropped about 50 lbs since January while on Keto and now has 6-pack abs. His strength is also the best it's ever been.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
A lot of the recipes here are high fat content.

http://www.ruled.me/keto-recipes/dessert/

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: APPARITION] [#21]
Been doing Keto almost a month now. I've lost 3.6 pounds in the last week. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and mostly use a treadmill and monitor my heart rate constantly. I have a problem getting enough calories sometimes as I'm shooting for about 1700 but I also factor in calories of the workout so some days I'll be eating 2500 to 3000 based on activity.

I try to maintain under 30g carb and shoot for 80% fat intake. If I'm I'm running a big calorie deficit I have no problem stopping and getting food anywhere even a double quarter pounder w/no bun can be ordered at McDonald's. I don't miss bread at all. I eat to keep calories up not because I'm hungry. I drink mostly water.

Going to have 3 eggs blended with 3 oz of cream cheese and cinnamon then cooked as a pancake for breakfast. I use zero carb zero calorie syrup and I'll have about 4 oz of jimmy dean spicy sausage that I smoked and vacuum sealed last weekend.

Oh and at the gym I my endurance is climbing significantly, I don't run out of energy like all the other people you see dragging at the end of their workouts.

Another thing as far as alcohol, drink real alcohol. Scotch is my go to but lately I've been making old fashions using rye whiskey, bitters and stevia and they are quite good.

Others are right it's got to be a lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:06:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Fwiw, I haven't seen it discussed yet. If you are doing a keto diet and get to where you hit a plateau, you may need to have a carb night. As in eat all the carbs you can after 5-6 pm to bed time.

I have been doing keto for over 5 years and have purposely lost weight and gained weight, worked out and not worked out in the gym, etc to see how all that affected me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been doing Keto or as close to it as I can since late January. At 6ft, I went from 279 to 226. And lost two pant sizes. I've slacked off a bit in the last two weeks, but I'm dedicating myself to it again. Want to get down to 205.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:14:21 AM EDT
[#24]
At it for several years.  49 this October.  183# with 6-pack abs.  

My advice is eat breakfast every day.   No matter what.   I just finished a plate of brisket and eggs.  

Also, stick with it strictly.  Don't slip and fall because it sets you back three whole days every time you do.   It works only when it's maintained for long periods of time.  

After a while, you won't see sweets as even being food anymore.  This is when you know you've arrived at a new way to eat and live.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By midcap:
Fwiw, I haven't seen it discussed yet. If you are doing a keto diet and get to where you hit a plateau, you may need to have a carb night. As in eat all the carbs you can after 5-6 pm to bed time.

I have been doing keto for over 5 years and have purposely lost weight and gained weight, worked out and not worked out in the gym, etc to see how all that affected me.
View Quote

Have you tried fasting?  

That's broken every stall I've had.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#26]

i would suggest miralax to you guys,   I went from crapping 3 times a day, to a few rabbit turds a day.  Constipation comes with any low carb diet.  

On the good news, heartburn is gone now, i barely ever fart, and my Cholesterol went down 35 points in the few 5 months.    I sleep way better and energy is up, down 82lbs as of now.
View Quote

I've been doing a tbsp of psyllium in a low-carb coconut milk beverage per day, and that's been helping a lot.  They say to ease into 2-3 times a day, but once is bulking things up nicely.

I've been on a week-long trip and didn't bring any with me.  Guess what?

Rabbit turds....

Congrats on your weight loss.  Really awesome work.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#27]

Also, magnesium citrate is pretty natural, although it tastes disgusting.  Miralax is a chemical thing and can create dependence.
View All Quotes

Magnesium glycinate is more bio-available, and less prone to stool softening.  The citrate is 2nd best.  But if you look hard enough you can find the citrate in a pill form (most of the magnesium is the oxide - which sucks.)  I found it at a CVS.

You can order glycinate online, but won't even find it in GNC.

And it is a bit more expensive.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Dark meat;

Butter with EVERYTHING;

Fatty cuts like ribeye;

When you have some Kerrygold grass fed butter on the table and you can't resist just scooping some up and putting it in your mouth to let it melt on your tongue, you'll know you're in.

View All Quotes

Dark meat;

Butter with EVERYTHING;

Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

I cook with ghee, which is clarified butter, and has a smoke point of 485°, which makes it great for high-temp frying.

Also, buy MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil.  It's derived from coconut oil, and is a practically odorless, tasteless awesome source of very healthy, easily-digestable fat energy.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee

2 Tbsp butter

2 Tbsp MCT Oil

2 Tbsp heavy cream

1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Blend well with an immersion blender.  If you don't have an immersion blender, buy one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:05:30 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

A bag of chips and a pint of French onion dip is expensive - in more ways than one.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By eracer:

A bag of chips and a pint of French onion dip is expensive - in more ways than one.

View All Quotes

Yep.  I could easily stop buying all my meds and test strips,  that's $200 a month.  But I'm a data geek
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Going to Cracker Barrel tonight. First time eating out since starting this.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By davisac:
View Quote

They actually have a low carb menu
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:14:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#33]

Have you tried fasting?  

View All Quotes

Have you tried fasting?  

Only time I did it was for a week I didn't eat lunch. That helped one time, but two main things in the past have broken a stall. Cutting out artificial sweetener, so just drinking water for me, and having a carb night once every 10 days 2 weeks. I know there are a lot of people that can exercise and have gains just fine while in keto, I;m not one of them. I'll have small gains, but there's nothing like having a carb night and lifting two days after.

For a while I was on Tanzeum, in which I never had a plataeu due to letpin down regulation because the meds do it already.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

that's really cool they have that, the only reason I ever saw someone not be able to low carb at a place was because of price. I say that because 90% of restaurants out there have steak and veggies.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#35]
There is one thing that I absolutely HATE about keto, for the first week or so it makes my ADD worse and my meds worthless. Hopefully I'll level back out in the next few days.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

So we went for lunch instead of dinner and I was told they no longer have that as it wasn't popular enough or something.

Might just be my local area store, IDK. Ordered the Double Meat Breakfast Platter instead.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Question for those tracking your food with myfitnesspal. I went out for lunch today and had a salad, the salad came with croutons and I was able to pull the salad up based on the restaurants name. The salad was supposed to have 10g of carb. I assume nearly all the carbs were from croutons and I didn't eat them.

Anybody know how to alter the food so that I track more accurately or if there's a way to add negative carbs to offset? I googled and was unsuccessful and I know that I only had 15g all day so it doesn't really matter but I would like to be accurate if I'm going to all the work of adding the info.

Figured it doesn't hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:39:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By APPARITION:
Question for those tracking your food with myfitnesspal. I went out for lunch today and had a salad, the salad came with croutons and I was able to pull the salad up based on the restaurants name. The salad was supposed to have 10g of carb. I assume nearly all the carbs were from croutons and I didn't eat them.

Anybody know how to alter the food so that I track more accurately or if there's a way to add negative carbs to offset? I googled and was unsuccessful and I know that I only had 15g all day so it doesn't really matter but I would like to be accurate if I'm going to all the work of adding the info.

View Quote

You would have to create a new item.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
There is one thing that I absolutely HATE about keto, for the first week or so it makes my ADD worse and my meds worthless. Hopefully I'll level back out in the next few days.
View Quote

This is pretty interesting.  Please keep us posted.. Might be painful for you.

KETO is a return to the most natural state of metabolism.  ADD increased dramatically after the food pyramid became standard recommendation.

You'll have to get through the transition and see how it works for you.  We are rooting for you.

I'm betting if you can get "in," you will find yourself in a better place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

That sucks. Not a problem if I ate there frequently but not worth the effort for one offs.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#41]

That sucks. Not a problem if I ate there frequently but not worth the effort for one offs.
View All Quotes

Don't sweat it. You already ate it. Documenting it on the app really isn't going to change that.

Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#42]

KETO is a return to the most natural state of metabolism.  ADD increased dramatically after the food pyramid became standard recommendation.

You'll have to get through the transition and see how it works for you.  We are rooting for you.

View All Quotes

I was on Keto for 6 weeks a few months ago and dropped 20 lbs. Once I settled in and got adjusted I felt great. The only reason I got off of Keto was due to our house flooding and having to live with the inlaws.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:55:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: blueheeler66] [#43]
So........what's the best way to schedule eating?
Three times a day?
5 times a day in smaller portions?
Only when you're hungry?

Trying to get rid of the Type 2 (#1 priority) and drop some weight.
Almost off the diet coke; was away from the house most of the day and got really hungry (busy day); ate a burger and diet coke.  Bun and all; it was good.
Learned to drink tea without Splenda. Started drinking water with half a lemon squeezed into it (supposedly helps cleanse the liver?).
Tried drinking the Zero Vitamin water and it gives me a headache.  Off of it too.  
I'd wrestle King Kong for a white potato and some sourdough bread right now.  
Is 70%-80% chocolate acceptable?

I work in a hot environment 95'F with a 105'F heat index and sweat my butt off.
Trying to keep drinking water, but not incredibly thirsty. 80-100 oz. over 12 hrs.
Taking vitamins and supplements along with it; selenium, magnesium, cinnamon, turmeric.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:44:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By forker:
Don't sweat it. You already ate it. Documenting it on the app really isn't going to change that.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By forker:

That's my point, I didn't eat it. Since they have the total salad at 10g and I didn't eat the carb portion the app shows I'm at 15g for the day when I'm likely closer to 5 to 7.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By blueheeler66:

Three times a day?

Only when you're hungry?

Almost off the diet coke; was away from the house most of the day and got really hungry (busy day); ate a burger and diet coke.  Bun and all; it was good.

Learned to drink tea without Splenda. Started drinking water with half a lemon squeezed into it (supposedly helps cleanse the liver?).

Tried drinking the Zero Vitamin water and it gives me a headache.  Off of it too.  

Trying to keep drinking water, but not incredibly thirsty. 80-100 oz. over 12 hrs.

Taking vitamins and supplements along with it; selenium, magnesium, cinnamon, turmeric.
View Quote
I eat when I am hungry, or after I work out I eat some protein right after that even if not hungry.  I am nowhere near as "hungry" as I was before I started this change, but I have also lost 40 pounds so far.  
Have you tried Truvia?  I use that in tea and coffee.
If you have to have some chocolate try these: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSUUO92/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  I think the best strategy is to stay off all chocolate and similar sweets for at least 3 months or more.  I have a giant sweet tooth and that was the hardest thing for me to deal with.  My strategy was to eat an apple and a pear every day.  Some will say that is too many carbs, but I still lost weight like crazy those three months.
You might also want to take a chromium supplement, it helps the body get rid of sugar.  This is the one I am taking. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HSTENK4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 8:52:27 AM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Interesting, I become more mentally sharp while ketoing.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:19:44 AM EDT
[#47]

View All Quotes

Lots of people have a temporary brain fog while becoming adapted. I sure did.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By blueheeler66:
Three times a day?
Only when you're hungry?

View Quote

I drink lots of tea. Red diamond is my favorite. But water is just as good to me on the job.  I usually drink it at room temperature though it seems easier to drink than cold water.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 10:57:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Been doing Keto almost a month now. I've lost 3.6 pounds in the last week. I go to the gym at least 4 times a week and mostly use a treadmill and monitor my heart rate constantly. I have a problem getting enough calories sometimes as I'm shooting for about 1700 but I also factor in calories of the workout so some days I'll be eating 2500 to 3000 based on activity.

I try to maintain under 30g carb and shoot for 80% fat intake. If I'm I'm running a big calorie deficit I have no problem stopping and getting food anywhere even a double quarter pounder w/no bun can be ordered at McDonald's. I don't miss bread at all. I eat to keep calories up not because I'm hungry. I drink mostly water.

Going to have 3 eggs blended with 3 oz of cream cheese and cinnamon then cooked as a pancake for breakfast. I use zero carb zero calorie syrup and I'll have about 4 oz of jimmy dean spicy sausage that I smoked and vacuum sealed last weekend.

Oh and at the gym I my endurance is climbing significantly, I don't run out of energy like all the other people you see dragging at the end of their workouts.

Another thing as far as alcohol, drink real alcohol. Scotch is my go to but lately I've been making old fashions using rye whiskey, bitters and stevia and they are quite good.

Others are right it's got to be a lifestyle change.
View Quote

Just tried this and its great. Thanks for the idea.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 11:00:31 AM EDT
[#50]

All good advice.

I cook with ghee, which is clarified butter, and has a smoke point of 485°, which makes it great for high-temp frying.

Also, buy MCT (Medium Chain Triglyceride) Oil.  It's derived from coconut oil, and is a practically odorless, tasteless awesome source of very healthy, easily-digestable fat energy.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

Blend well with an immersion blender.  If you don't have an immersion blender, buy one.

View All Quotes

Dark meat;
Butter with EVERYTHING;
Fatty cuts like ribeye;

All good advice.

Bulletproof coffee:

2C black coffee
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp MCT Oil
2 Tbsp heavy cream
1/8 tsp vanilla extract

It's my understanding that you shouldn't add milk to your Bulletproof coffee.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top