User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 349
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Calculating:

I have been using keto life or something from Walmart. Its pretty damn good, which gives me pause and after a double check of the ingredients I began to wonder how truly keto it is. That's why I'm looking for one I can make from scratch to know the true nutritional makeup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
I use Aldi keto bread or a low carb wrap, but I only do that once or twice a week. So price is not an issue.

As mentioned, I to am skeptical about how keto friendly they actually are.
One of the great things since going keto is I eat almost no processed food. It all has carbs.

I have been using keto life or something from Walmart. Its pretty damn good, which gives me pause and after a double check of the ingredients I began to wonder how truly keto it is. That's why I'm looking for one I can make from scratch to know the true nutritional makeup.

Here is a repost of mine from November:

"Beware. My luck so far with "Keto Buns" and "Keto Tortillas" has been nothing short of huge blood glucose spikes and even temporarily knocked out of ketosis (I use a blood glucose/keto meter to test after introducing some new foods).

The "Keto Culture 1 Net Carb Bun", dressed out with homemade taco meat, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and tomato bumped up my glucose to from 76 to 123 and ketones down from 2.2 to .9. This was the first meal of the day after an 18 hour fast and second readings were taken 2 hours after the meal.

The "Mission Carb Balance 3 Net Carb" rolled with a little bit of homemade taco meat, cheese, and sour cream bumped my glucose to 104 and my ketones to 0.4, effectively out of ketosis (measurements made 2 hours after meal) (I did not have a before reading, but it was first meal of day after 18 hour fast)

So, from my experience (still plan on testing a few other products) these miracle bread products are not suitable, at least for me, during the dedicated phase to watching every carb. They will make a great addition when entering the maintenance phase, but pretty much seem like sabotage to all your hard efforts during the early part of the Keto journey.

YMMV

ETA: And one of my best keto investments was buying the Keto Mojo blood meter ($45 on Amazon). It takes the guesswork out of how foods impact your body."
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Still liking being in ketosis.
Been aprox 1yr now.
Never cheated or been tempted.
Family and friends have learned to leave me and my diet alone, no issues over the holidays from being out of town with family.
Heck, the former spouse even bought me sugar free beef jerky..
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Started back on keto and IF (19/5) Monday, plus no more alcohol.

Monday was rough, yesterday was a little better.  Today haven't been hungry at all.

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Tomorrow makes it 3 years for me. I lost 45+ pounds the first 5 months then leveled off at down 40-45.
I am up 5 pounds since Thanksgiving with 3 holidays and lots of drinking. Time to drop that weight.
Keto has been great, I can't see ever going back. Reminds me of when I quit smoking after 20 years, that was 18 years ago and also when I started gaining weight.
Now, not smoking and not fat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 8:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Tomorrow makes it 3 years for me. I lost 45+ pounds the first 5 months then leveled off at down 40-45.
I am up 5 pounds since Thanksgiving with 3 holidays and lots of drinking. Time to drop that weight.
Keto has been great, I can't see ever going back. Reminds me of when I quit smoking after 20 years, that was 18 years ago and also when I started gaining weight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2022 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

I've been on it a year and a half. I got real reckless with my food intake over the holidays, lots of sweets and beer. I gained about 5 pounds but it's shedding pretty quick. I'm going to try to drop lower than before and get cut up for Summer.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By ContraHQ:

"Beware. My luck so far with "Keto Buns" and "Keto Tortillas" has been nothing short of huge blood glucose spikes and even temporarily knocked out of ketosis (I use a blood glucose/keto meter to test after introducing some new foods).

The "Keto Culture 1 Net Carb Bun", dressed out with homemade taco meat, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and tomato bumped up my glucose to from 76 to 123 and ketones down from 2.2 to .9. This was the first meal of the day after an 18 hour fast and second readings were taken 2 hours after the meal.

The "Mission Carb Balance 3 Net Carb" rolled with a little bit of homemade taco meat, cheese, and sour cream bumped my glucose to 104 and my ketones to 0.4, effectively out of ketosis (measurements made 2 hours after meal) (I did not have a before reading, but it was first meal of day after 18 hour fast)

So, from my experience (still plan on testing a few other products) these miracle bread products are not suitable, at least for me, during the dedicated phase to watching every carb. They will make a great addition when entering the maintenance phase, but pretty much seem like sabotage to all your hard efforts during the early part of the Keto journey.

YMMV

ETA: And one of my best keto investments was buying the Keto Mojo blood meter ($45 on Amazon). It takes the guesswork out of how foods impact your body."
View Quote

Damn, thanks for taking the time to repost and insight. The bread was keto culture, not life, you're correct. I'll look into the Mojo
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:09:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Crock pot crack chicken and cauliflower spinach rice.  mmmmm
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:12:41 AM EDT
[#9]

YMMV

View Quote

Thank you for posting that. That's good stuff to know, and I'll use the info personally.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 11:38:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#10]
Originally Posted By JASIRR:
Crock pot crack chicken and cauliflower spinach rice.  mmmmm
View Quote

Putting that one on my "ToDo" list.  Thanks

Definitely putting jalapeno peppers in the mix.  I might add a little artichoke to it as well.

Edit:  We had some cut up chicken in the fridge so I put together Crack chicken casserole.  I used the recipe combined with one bag of cauliflower rice.  Made half for me w/jalapenos and half for my wife without.  Put them in 8" tin pans and stuck them in the fridge.  Lunch for tomorrow is taken care of.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#11]
For those of you who mash or rice your own cauliflower, is it worth the time and effort?  

If so, how do you deal with ricing?  I have a blender, a stick blender, and a miniature electric chopper (a 3-4 cup version of a standard blade food processor).  Will one of these do the job efficiently, or am I going to have to look at a box grater (cheap) or another appliance?
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By corruptor:
For those of you who mash or rice your own cauliflower, is it worth the time and effort?  

If so, how do you deal with ricing?  I have a blender, a stick blender, and a miniature electric chopper (a 3-4 cup version of a standard blade food processor).  Will one of these do the job efficiently, or am I going to have to look at a box grater (cheap) or another appliance?
View Quote

Riced I just buy frozen bags at Costco.

Mashed is really a purée and I use a food processor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

Definitely putting jalapeno peppers in the mix.  I might add a little artichoke to it as well.

Edit:  We had some cut up chicken in the fridge so I put together Crack chicken casserole.  I used the recipe combined with one bag of cauliflower rice.  Made half for me w/jalapenos and half for my wife without.  Put them in 8" tin pans and stuck them in the fridge.  Lunch for tomorrow is taken care of.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/tin_pans_jpg-2230569.JPG
View Quote

Awesome.  Super easy to make and to be honest, almost too good.
Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#14]
Originally Posted By corruptor:

View Quote

We use bagged.  Way more convenient than home made.

The 7oz boxes go on sell regularly for $1/box.  We keep a good supply of both the 7oz boxes & 10oz bags as we use them almost every day.  IIRC Costco rice (in a big bag) is even cheaper.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/7/2022 9:35:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#15]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/tin_pans_jpg-2230569.JPG

We make ham, cheese (cheddar & cream) & cauliflower casserole all the time.  I make 7 at a time (3 for me & 4 for my wife) and put them in the aluminum pans pictured above.  We eat some right away & put the rest in the freezer for quick keto meals later.  Hopefully the crack chicken will freeze just as well and we can add that to the rotation.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 11:05:29 AM EDT
[#16]

We use bagged.  Way more convenient than home made.

The 7oz boxes go on sell regularly for $1/box.  We keep a good supply of both the 7oz boxes & 10oz bags as we use them almost every day.  IIRC Costco rice (in a big bag) is even cheaper.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174498/IMG_20220107_082751026_jpg-2231453.JPG
View Quote

Damn!  I'm going to have to up my freezer game!!!
Thanks for your input.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#17]
What are some good sources for new recipes you guys have found?  I'm getting tired of the same old things and would like to broaden my keto horizons.
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 4:45:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Calculating] [#18]
Originally Posted By dlshady:
What are some good sources for new recipes you guys have found?  I'm getting tired of the same old things and would like to broaden my keto horizons.
View Quote

https://www.janellerohner.com/

My trainer turned me on to her. I've done a few of her recipes that turned out well.

ETA: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/recipes-home/ this has lots of good stuff too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve been using the Sola brand 2 net carbs keto bread. I’ve went from 235 to 192 since October. Toast the bread, put some Kerry’s gold butter on it and add this…

It’s awesome! Tastes great.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#20]

My trainer turned me on to her. I've done a few of her recipes that turned out well.

ETA: https://www.marksdailyapple.com/recipes-home/ this has lots of good stuff too.
View All Quotes

I greatly appreciate the links!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 6:32:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#21]

I greatly appreciate the links!
View Quote

https://www.bunsinmyoven.com/

https://howtothisandthat.com/category/low-carb-recipes/

https://ketogasm.com/recipe-index/

Here's some of the simple things we eat.  NOTE:  This is a cut & paste from an old post.  I need to update it.

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:10:28 PM EDT
[#22]
So I found some zero sugar sweet pickle relish that is basically zero calorie and tastes good. So I bought a rotisserie chicken and made chicken salad with it and eat it on Parm Crisps and it is delicious!
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#23]
No Sugar Added Sweet Gherkins, 1 carb, no sugar for 2 pickles. They are very sweet tasting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#24]

From the makers of Bang energy drinks…

Vooz Hydration Sensation.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/12/2022 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#25]
How does it taste?
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:
How does it taste?
View Quote

It’s pretty good.   I’ve just had the one.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Had hit a weight loss wall (no gain/no loss) a couple of months back.
No nutrition changes, no cheating at all, staying in ketosis, so I avoided the scale for many weeks so I wouldn't get frustrated.

Did a 24hr fast a week or two back and added 2-4hrs more of IF daily..seems like it did a reboot on me.
Been feeling leaner lately and pants are looser, so I said fuck it and got on the scale.
6+lbs gone.
Feels good man.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe you guys can help me with a question I have on protein. I have been back on a good keto diet for a month or two. I am down about 20 pounds with another 30 to go. About once a month I have steak and eggs for breakfast with a couple cups of coffee and some pepper jack cheese. It's pretty much pushed me to the top of my protein for the day.

my calories fat and carbs are pretty low on that day. Any suggestions on what else I could eat on those rare days that are low in calorie with no protein. Are usually eat a couple of cheese snacks but they also have a decent amount of protein.

I have about 300 (actually 6-700 but really try to keep under 1200) calories left. About 20g of carbs left. And about 60g of fat.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rtlm] [#29]
Originally Posted By Thealien:
Maybe you guys can help me with a question I have on protein. I have been back on a good keto diet for a month or two. I am down about 20 pounds with another 30 to go. About once a month I have steak and eggs for breakfast with a couple cups of coffee and some pepper jack cheese. It's pretty much pushed me to the top of my protein for the day.

my calories fat and carbs are pretty low on that day. Any suggestions on what else I could eat on those rare days that are low in calorie with no protein. Are usually eat a couple of cheese snacks but they also have a decent amount of protein.

I have about 300 (actually 6-700 but really try to keep under 1200) calories left. About 20g of carbs left. And about 60g of fat.
View Quote

Everyone is different, but I try not to get caught up in numbers and tracking.
I just eat keto clean, but I'd just add some clean fat snacks and call it a day.
Cheese, some nuts, pork skins are my go to snacks or even as a meal substitute.

Edit to add:
Olives are tasty and no protein, and avocados have a low protein to fat ratio.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By rtlm:
Had hit a weight loss wall (no gain/no loss) a couple of months back.
No nutrition changes, no cheating at all, staying in ketosis, so I avoided the scale for many weeks so I wouldn't get frustrated.

Did a 24hr fast a week or two back and added 2-4hrs more of IF daily..seems like it did a reboot on me.
Been feeling leaner lately and pants are looser, so I said fuck it and got on the scale.
6+lbs gone.
Feels good man.
View Quote

I hit a similar wall in November and December. Went from 237 to 226 in October then 226 to 223 in Nov/Dec.

But I'm under 220 now. No significant change in diet.

*shrug*

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:

I hit a similar wall in November and December. Went from 237 to 226 in October then 226 to 223 in Nov/Dec.

But I'm under 220 now. No significant change in diet.

*shrug*

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:48:25 AM EDT
[#32]
If you just need calories, this is what I use for some quick fat fuel.

Link Posted: 1/15/2022 11:56:54 AM EDT
[#33]
If you just need calories, this is what I use for some quick fat fuel.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81UQPmZmoJL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote

Same, except I grind my own in coffee grinder and add a bit of ghee.
Awesome fat fuel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 12:30:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#34]
Originally Posted By rtlm:

Everyone is different, but I try not to get caught up in numbers and tracking.
I just eat keto clean, but I'd just add some clean fat snacks and call it a day.
Cheese, some nuts, pork skins are my go to snacks or even as a meal substitute.

Edit to add:
Olives are tasty and no protein, and avocados have a low protein to fat ratio.
View Quote

This.  I track calories & carbs but also make certain to get enough fats as the fats keep me from getting hungry.  

If you are low on protein once in a while, I would not sweat it.  Just get back to your normal numbers the next day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#35]

This.  I track calories & carbs but also make certain to get enough fats as the fats keep me from getting hungry.  

If you are low on protein once in a while, I would not sweat it.  Just get back to your normal numbers the next day.
View Quote

I find that fat isn't satiating. It's protein that really gives me the full feeling / ends hunger.
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
I find that fat isn't satiating. It's protein that really gives me the full feeling / ends hunger.
View Quote

Fat does it for me, if I eat a high protein low fat meat it doesn't have staying power.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL:
So I found some zero sugar sweet pickle relish that is basically zero calorie and tastes good. So I bought a rotisserie chicken and made chicken salad with it and eat it on Parm Crisps and it is delicious!
View Quote

That’s a good idea!
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#38]
These are good with the choczero monkfruit syrup. They only have 6 net carbs per two waffles and are good when I’m in a hurry. It feels weird dropping weight eating waffles.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:
These are good with the choczero monkfruit syrup. They only have 6 net carbs per two waffles and are good when I’m in a hurry. It feels weird dropping weight eating waffles.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40842/B5816FC0-EF2E-449A-B5E7-01FD9BCC6CC5-2242132.jpg
View Quote

We tried those but didn't really like them.  Glad they work for you.

My Sister makes pancakes EVERY morning.  Like you, she's amazed at the weight she dropped eating pancakes.  She was never "fat" but had 10-15 lbs that she just couldn't shed.  The weight dropped right off after she started (dirty) keto.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]

My Sister makes pancakes EVERY morning.  Like you, she's amazed at the weight she dropped eating pancakes.  She was never "fat" but had 10-15 lbs that she just couldn't shed.  The weight dropped right off after she started (dirty) keto.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/40842/B5816FC0-EF2E-449A-B5E7-01FD9BCC6CC5-2242132.jpg

You going to make a post like that about pancakes and losing weight and not post a recipe? Or at least an ingredient list?

Have you no humanity
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 12:18:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#41]
Originally Posted By Contra:

You going to make a post like that about pancakes and losing weight and not post a recipe? Or at least an ingredient list?

Have you no humanity
View Quote

Tons of pancake recipes out there so I'm not certain which one she uses.  I'll message her tomorrow and get it from her.
@Contra

Edit:  Found the recipe that my wife uses.  Fairly certain she gave it to my sister.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Original recipe link.

Wife uses store brand SF syrup on hers.  She puts cinnamon in mine and I eat them without syrup.

Edit:  I'll find my wife's recipe for keto donuts and post that as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks WDEagle
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 3:35:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#43]
Lunch is ...

Bacon wrapped Chicken Livers, Bacon wrapped Chicken Gizzards & Bacon wrapped Brussel Sprouts.  

Attachment Attached File

Wrapped, sprinkled with Butt Rub and cooked together in an air fryer for 14 minutes @ 400.
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 10:50:53 PM EDT
[#44]
K…question.  We got a ninja creami for Xmas and have been enjoying it.  So I thought I’d try some things.  Yeah I was plugging ingredients into Carb Mabager everything was ok (coconut milk…cool, almond milk…cool, allulose…cool, cocoa powder…cool)…but when I add it?  “Avoid”.  WTF
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:11:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LDAguy] [#45]
Originally Posted By Trumpet:
K…question.  We got a ninja creami for Xmas and have been enjoying it.  So I thought I’d try some things.  Yeah I was plugging ingredients into Carb Mabager everything was ok (coconut milk…cool, almond milk…cool, allulose…cool, cocoa powder…cool)…but when I add it?  “Avoid”.  WTF
View Quote

“The sum is greater than the parts ???”

Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Only thing I could think of…
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 11:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ContraHQ] [#47]
View Quote

I'm guessing you mean Carb Manager .

Within Carb Manager you can build a recipe with "OK" keto ingredients. But if you add the recipe to your daily log in too large of a portion, it will get relabeled as "Avoid".

Check your portion size.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#48]

Within Carb Manager you can build a recipe with "OK" keto ingredients. But if you add the recipe to your daily log in too large of a portion, it will get relabeled as "Avoid".

Check your portion size.
View All Quotes

Check your portion size.

Yeah, I typed that on my phone
I'll check the servings.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 7:19:00 AM EDT
[#49]

Check your portion size.
View Quote
That's a good warning for all recipes. I hate seeing "only 4g net carbs" and then scroll down and see it's only a 300cal serving. Bitch, I'm going to eat 3 of them in one meal! That's a no-go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 11:20:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Making recipes in Carb Manager is very buggy for me.... sometimes it will label the recipe as bad because it ignores portion sizes and grades the entire recipe... other times it respects portion size and grades it appropriately.
Page / 349
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top