Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/19/2003 11:31:13 PM EDT
Which would you choose and why?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:09:39 AM EDT
Tough pick! The right to carry law seems to be most important since it will lower crime everywhere and take some of the wind out of the anti's sails. Besides, people in CA are still US citizens and shouldn't suffer for the politics of the bay area and LA... The repeal of the National Firearms Act sure would be nice but right now the class3 license requirement is the most prohibiting factor for me to get anything full auto anyhow. Who wants to pay the $200 tax?? Not me! (Remember: taxed=legal, not taxed=illegal). The repeal of the restrictions for the interstate shipment of firearms under the Gun Control Act of 1968 better stays in place (feel free to rant) until we have a 50 state CCW in place. I would feel somewhat uneasy to sell a gun on the internet without ever meeting the buyer. If just one nutcase purchases a gun like that we'll be taking a lot of flak again. But, fax me your CCW and I wouldn't have any problems with selling a gun. BTW, I'm trying to keep my toys and grow the meager collection and NOT to sell them. :) To reallow the importation of "non-sporting" firearms sure would be nice but what for if the AWB would still be in effect. Most of them would still be illegal. :( Go easy and please don't rant too much now... :) I know compromising sucks but it's the mature and reasonable thing to do. LRdrvr P.S.: To really get your blood boiling: Sure it would be nice to get rid of a nonsense law that only makes certain firearms more expensive. I still wouldn't change the configuration of my postban AR. Shoots great the way it is. The best thing about the AWB discussions are that the pro-gun forces seem to be out in force showing their teeth. Even CNN put a new report together. That's a first as far as I know. So, politicians beware... vote for the AWB (if it comes to a vote) and the people from your district will remember next election time. :) Also, the anti's seem to be pretty busy with the cosmetics of certain firearms. Good, since it takes other topics off the table for now. LRdrvr (Don't hate me now!! :) )
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:43:49 AM EDT
A MG is not an AR...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:06:12 AM EDT
I picked right-to-carry because I live in CA. Expiration of the federal AWB will only allow me to put pre-ban features on the Caliban-registered arms I presently own. I still won't be able to obtain new ones. Likewise even the drop in prices that would result from the MG ban being lifted would not enable me to obtain one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:41:15 AM EDT
Gimme cheap machineguns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:07:24 AM EDT
If the National Firearms act were repealed, what would be the meaning of the Assault Weapons Ban? OK, so you can' thave a bayonet lug on your machine gun? It just seems contradictory except for tiny details. Given the premise that these take place at the same time, the AWB can't supercede the NFA. I voted for repeal/sunset the AWB, BTW. But, some of the other possibilities such as the above seemed to be in conflict. The national right to carry seemed attractive, as I am more into defense of self and family, so a pistol is my choice of weapon anyway. But, no matter what chip one gives up, allowing something like the AWB to become permanent only hands the antis one more step in their overall campaign. After they get that, they will try to take back what they have "given".
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:12:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 3:21:14 AM EDT by DeltaAir423]
Not to hijack your thread, but the need would be for the AWB to sunset, then to start work on the other laws. We must be aggressive, but also show restraint. If we push too far, Fienstein and Co. will just use us as an example of the need for more regulation, and get another stricter ban in place. Probably the best timeline would be for in Sept 04 let the AWB sunset. Wait 3-5 years then attack the 89 importation ban. Once that is repealed, then wait another 3-5 years and attack the 86 machine gun ban. After that we would probably be up for our toughest fights against the 68 GCA, and the 34 NFA. It took them almost 60 years to take our rights away, and it will probably take us 80-100 years to get our rights back. Remeber we are fighting the goverment for violations of the second amendment. Since they control the creation and repeal of laws we are in for a long and difficult fight. The only way I see this to possibly all be over in less than ten years if for the Supreme Court of the United States to rule that gun control laws are unconstitutional, and I really don't see that one coming up. Sorry to be a pessimist, but that is the way of life. I see our only options to be...... 1. Fight a long and hard fight (most likley) 2. Get the laws called unconstitutional by the Supreme Court (Not F*cking Likley) -or- 3. For society to fall into total disarray, and a second American Revoultion (I don't advocate it) Sorry for the hijack. I'm getting off of my soapbox now. Edited to add- the inroduction of H.R. 193 in the house of Represenatives is a small baby step in the right direction, and it would also stop Feinstein and Co, and put Handgun Control Inc. out of buisness.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:48:23 AM EDT
I chose the AWB to sunset. It was a stupid feel-good law from day one, and it still is. They picked on military style weapons because they look scary. The idea that 10 round is ok and 11 rounds will cause the streets to flow with blood is also ridiculous.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:02:43 AM EDT
ok I'm gonna jump in here and put some more stuff up. There are a few good bills in committie right now, and also a few bad bills. I'm not saying that these are ever going to hit the floor, but here's a list of some bills in the Subcomittie on Crime, Terrorism, and Homeland Security. Bad bill H.R. 24 Bullet Tracing Act To Reduce Gun Violence Sponsor: Rep Becerra, Xavier [CA-31] Cosponsors: Rep Brown, Corrine - 1/29/2003 [FL-3] Rep Carson, Julia - 1/29/2003 [IN-7] Rep Conyers, John, Jr. - 1/29/2003 [MI-14] Rep Grijalva, Raul M. - 1/29/2003 [AZ-7] Rep Johnson, Eddie Bernice - 2/13/2003 [TX-30] Rep Jones, Stephanie Tubbs - 2/4/2003 [OH-11] Rep Meehan, Martin T. - 1/8/2003 [MA-5] Rep Stark, Fortney Pete - 1/31/2003 [CA-13] Rep Woolsey, Lynn C. - 1/31/2003 [CA-6] Bad Bill H.R. 124 Handgun Licensing and Registration Act of 2003 Sponsor: Rep Holt, Rush D. [NJ-12] No Cosponsors Bad Bill H.R. 143 Assault Weapon Ban Enhancement Act of 2003 Sponsor: Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] No Cosponsors Bad Bill H.R. 144 Ari's Law To control the sale of gun kits Sponsor: Rep Nadler, Jerrold [NY-8] No Cosponsors Finally a Good Bill H.R. 153 Second Amendment Protection Act of 2003 Sponsor: Rep Paul, Ron [TX-14] Cosponsors: Rep Bartlett, Roscoe G. - 5/6/2003 [MD-6] Rep Cannon, Chris - 3/11/2003 [UT-3] Rep Miller, Jeff - 2/25/2003 [FL-1] Rep Otter, C. L. (Butch) - 1/31/2003 [ID-1] Good Bill H.R. 193 Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2003 Sponsor: Rep Hefley, Joel [CO-5] Cosponsors: Rep Boucher, Rick - 2/5/2003 [VA-9] Rep Burton, Dan - 2/7/2003 [IN-5] Rep Goode, Virgil H., Jr. - 1/29/2003 [VA-5] Rep Hall, Ralph M. - 2/13/2003 [TX-4] Rep Linder, John - 1/27/2003 [GA-7] Rep Ney, Robert W. - 2/5/2003 [OH-18] Rep Paul, Ron - 1/31/2003 [TX-14] Rep Peterson, John E. - 2/5/2003 [PA-5] Rep Weldon, Dave - 1/29/2003 [FL-15] Last bill I'm postin and it's a good one H.R. 648 Citizens' Self-Defense Act of 2003 Sponsor: Rep Wilson, Joe [SC-2] Cosponsors: Rep Barrett, J. Gresham - 5/1/2003 [SC-3] Rep Bartlett, Roscoe G. - 3/12/2003 [MD-6] Rep Burgess, Michael C. - 4/12/2003 [TX-26] Rep Burton, Dan - 4/29/2003 [IN-5] Rep Carson, Brad - 3/12/2003 [OK-2] Rep Goode, Virgil H., Jr. - 3/25/2003 [VA-5] Rep Hastings, Doc - 3/12/2003 [WA-4] Rep Holden, Tim - 4/7/2003 [PA-17] Rep Hostettler, John N. - 4/1/2003 [IN-8] Rep Jones, Walter B., Jr. - 4/29/2003 [NC-3] Rep LaHood, Ray - 3/25/2003 [IL-18] Rep Lewis, Ron - 3/20/2003 [KY-2] Rep Manzullo, Donald A. - 5/9/2003 [IL-16] Rep Miller, Jeff - 3/18/2003 [FL-1] Rep Nethercutt, George R., Jr. - 4/1/2003 [WA-5] Rep Ney, Robert W. - 3/25/2003 [OH-18] Rep Otter, C. L. (Butch) - 3/25/2003 [ID-1] Rep Paul, Ron - 3/18/2003 [TX-14] Rep Platts, Todd Russell - 4/7/2003 [PA-19] Rep Sessions, Pete - 3/4/2003 [TX-32] Rep Souder, Mark E. - 4/1/2003 [IN-3] Rep Sullivan, John - 3/18/2003 [OK-1] Rep Weldon, Dave - 4/10/2003 [FL-15] Rep Wicker, Roger F. - 4/1/2003 [MS-1] Rep Young, Don - 4/1/2003 [AK] I did not initally mean to make this reply to be that long, but I thought you guys would be intersted in some bills that are in committie. These are not all the second amendment related bills in committie. A good place to find the rest of the bills is to go to www.house.gov, look up any of the bills posted, then follow the links to the subcomittie that they are in. Again I apologize for making this so long and painful.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:23:17 AM EDT
hello cheap machine-guns. in a heartbeat. suck for states that dont allow class III though. thank God im in Virginia ;)
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:03:03 AM EDT
I chose the importation of "non-sporting" guns, but the machine gun one was equal. I think that I would gladly trade the AWB for either of those IF I HAD TO, but, as it is, I want it all, and the first step is the sunset of the AWB.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:09:41 AM EDT
Id go for machine guns or nationwide carry. Buth really to get either we need the AWB to sunset. We know the antis dont want to bargin or listen to reason so there would be no bargin like you got listed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:25:40 AM EDT
We need all of them. They're just common sense gun safety measures. Do it for the children.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:38:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 6:39:45 AM EDT by photoman]
Originally Posted By Phil_A_Steen: Which would you choose and why?
View Quote
I want everything and the AWB to sunset
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:46:36 AM EDT
where's the option for 'none of the above, guns are baaaad'? [:p]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:00:33 AM EDT
In Faust's world (fantasy or fiction, as you prefer) you could actually make a bargain. In the real world, disingenuous people fuck it up. We need to deal with each treachery in a separate but equal way. It's all about individual freedom or slavery.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:31:44 AM EDT
If my AR could be made as a full auto for the actual cost of the parts, as opposed to the inflated current prices, even with the $200 tax it would end up being like 1100 total for new select fire AR15s. I would take that trade, because once I got my rifle upgraded it would no longer be an assault weapon anyway. I would still need the mag ban to die, cause F/A while reloading every 10 rds would suck ass. I'd want at least 1 or 2 beta C's.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:23:43 AM EDT
Ya ever notice, none of these polls EVER say [b]"No Compromise"!![/b]. It would appear you all have been well trained by the NRA. You guys don't even think "no compromise" has a place in a poll...
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:42:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By LRdrvr: I know compromising sucks but it's the mature and reasonable thing to do. LRdrvr LRdrvr (Don't hate me now!! :) )
View Quote
You and your nra buddies keep doing the "Mature and Reasonable" thing just like you have been. People are gonna DIE because of YOU! Please tell me what is "Mature and Reasonable" about YOU giving away MY GOD-GIVEN Rights!!![:(!]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 8:57:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/20/2003 9:02:30 AM EDT by ar15bubba]
Ya ever notice, none of these polls EVER say "No Compromise"!!. It would appear you all have been well trained by the NRA. You guys don't even think "no compromise" has a place in a poll...
View Quote
I posted a similar question awhile back, and got the same reaction from some of the people who do have a clue how to answer a hypothetical question. It is a given that no compromise would be the best option, why even bother putting the option of "none of the above" in the poll? Ask yourself, "Am I Retarded?!?!"
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:10:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15bubba:
Ya ever notice, none of these polls EVER say "No Compromise"!!. It would appear you all have been well trained by the NRA. You guys don't even think "no compromise" has a place in a poll...
View Quote
I posted a similar question awhile back, and got the same reaction from some of the people who do have a clue how to answer a hypothetical question. It is a given that no compromise would be the best option, why even bother putting the option of "none of the above" in the poll?
View Quote
It is NOT a given. In polls, you are limited to the options in the poll. "No compromise", should be an option, otherwise the poll is skewed. THAT is how pollsters do their thing. They get the DESIRED results through the questions asked. Considering how many nra members there are here, I can see why it is omitted. Those 2 words are not in their lexicon.
Ask yourself, "[red]Am I Retarded[/red]?!?!"
View Quote
No, I am not an nra member [;D] Are you??
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:19:34 AM EDT
It is NOT a given. In polls, you are limited to the options in the poll. "No compromise", should be an option, otherwise the poll is skewed.
View Quote
%99-%100 would vote no compromise, the poll would be uninteresting. This is not a normal poll. In a poll that would be voted on by a large cross-section of people (not just gun nuts), no compromise should be included. Yes I am in the NRA
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:25:21 AM EDT
No compromise.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:10:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15bubba:
It is NOT a given. In polls, you are limited to the options in the poll. "No compromise", should be an option, otherwise the poll is skewed.
View Quote
%99-%100 would vote no compromise, the poll would be uninteresting.
View Quote
No they wouldn't.
This is not a normal poll. In a poll that would be voted on by a large cross-section of people (not just gun nuts), no compromise should be included.
View Quote
Based on how many members here say they will still vote repub if the AWB is reauthorized, and signed, it should be. Some think the nra is "just gun nuts". Many nra members support the AWB.
Yes I am in the NRA
View Quote
My condolences......
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:34:11 AM EDT
In my humble opinion..this is the freakin' USA!!! I should be able to own whatever I want!! NO COMPROMISE!! EVER!!! [argue] All this AWB junk is driving me nuts!! [50]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:21:27 PM EDT
I think you no compromise people are missing the point that this is a hypothetical.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:55:42 PM EDT
liberty86 wrote: You and your nra buddies keep doing the "Mature and Reasonable" thing just like you have been. People are gonna DIE because of YOU! Please tell me what is "Mature and Reasonable" about YOU giving away MY GOD-GIVEN Rights!!! Certainly, I do understand your dismay with any kind of compromise. Anybody here (or at least 90+%) would like to get rid of all gunlaws. Now I have some bad news for you: IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! It's not about 'me' giving away your god-given rights! It's about the way democracy works! Not everyone in the country does share your or my views and values. They never will and it's their god-given right to do so. Sure, we can be all hard heads and not compromise at all and lose more. I'd rather (as the lesser of the 2 evils) compromise where I have to in order to preserve and get out of the system what we can. Perfect world is an illusion. The sooner you let go the better. Hate in your heart will consume you too. Having said that, I fully understand and concur with your point of view. It's a matter of what I think we have to do to get there. No compromise was not an option given in the poll and it's not a solution in real life. Also consider this: I'm quite sure that without the NRA we wouldn't own any firearms anymore. Feinstein, Boxer and comrades already admitted they would have taken all guns if that would have been possible. These people don't care about the real statistics, they obviously don't care about the safety of our LEOs and they for sure don't care about your god-given rights! How do we stop them? Hardheadedness is not the answer. Getting things done in Washington requires the skills of a good tactician and bargainer. You might not like that - neither do I, but that's just the way it is.... Let's also keep in mind that most people don't feel as strongly about politics at all and the gun issue in specific as you/we do. How can we convince them to back us up at the ballot box. After all that's where we need them. Appearing reasonable and against/breaking the stereotype that the media made the typical gun-owner out to be. As far as your comment: "People are gonna DIE because of YOU!" I'm not even gonna answer that. Pity that you feel that way. You almost remind me of the gun grabbers: "Guns kill people". Just 180 degrees the opposite... :) Have a pleasant afternoon, LRdrvr P.S.: I thought I added no flaming please to my last post. If I forgot, consider it done as of right now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 11:48:05 PM EDT
I would choose: "House to house search and seizure of all firearms and the arrest of all political dissidents."
Top Top