BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 8:14:58 PM EDT
[url]http://msnbc.com/news/914467.asp?0sl=-41&cp1=1[/url]

‘The Real Deal’: You spoke, MCI listened

Danny Glover is being held accountable

COMMENTARY
by Joe Scarborough

May 15 —  Scarborough Country has spoken, and MCI had listened. It’s time for The Real Deal.

SEVERAL WEEKS AGO, our Scarborough Country staff began investigating the extreme views of Hollywood movie star Danny Glover. Mr. Glover, who is know primarily for his “Lethal Weapon” films, has a history of making divisive political comments. He called the president of the United States a racist, he blamed American policy for the murderous acts of September 11th, and he signed a petition comparing American soldiers in the Gulf War to 9/11 terrorists. He called America “the greatest purveyor of violence in the world.” And most recently Mr. Glover signed a letter of support for Fidel Castro.

At the same time he was signing the pro-Castro manifesto, Danny Glover was also flacking for long distance carrier MCI, and trading off his good guy image to get you and your family to buy MCI’s products.

That’s when we took action, by asking you to call MCI and let them know what you thought of Mr. Glover’s extreme political views.

You reached out and touched MCI, and other corporate heads listened. After two weeks of claiming that Glover’s ads were some of the most popular ever aired by MCI, we received an e-mail today announcing that MCI would no longer be using Danny Glover as its spokesman. Because of your calls, Danny Glover is being held accountable for his comments.

We have asked Glover to defend himself on this show at least 6 times, and he’s refused. We have had several Glover supporters on the show to discuss the actor’s controversial comments, but they have refused to address the crux of this controversy — and that’s Danny Glover’s own words.

You can be assured that Glover and his friends will not take MCI’s actions lightly. Yesterday, Glover was compared to Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela. I, on the other hand, have been tagged with the dreaded racist label. And MCI has been threatened with a boycott if they turn their back on Glover.

Glover’s name-calling allies have claimed that he is being punished because he is black. That’s just crude race baiting. They will now claim that MCI’s removal of Glover as its public spokesman amounts to censorship. Wrong again.

The Scarborough Country-led campaign against Glover has nothing to do with race or censorship. It has everything to do with an American citizen being held responsible for his words and actions.

And that’s exactly what happened tin the case of Danny Glover and MCI.

In what Thomas Jefferson called the free marketplace of ideas, the lethal weapon turned out to be the truth. That’s good news for all of us, because it proves that we can all still make a difference, if we only let our voices be heard.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I never liked the guy anyway, piss poor actor, rode Mel Gibsons wave to popularity.(Not that Mel Gibson is any better!)
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
And another a**hole bites the dust....I guess Bro Jesse and Mouthy Al will be organizing on his behalf. Maybe that will keep them busy for a while.....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#3]
ALL RIGHT [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And another a**hole bites the dust....I guess Bro Jesse and Mouthy Al will be organizing on his behalf. Maybe that will keep them busy for a while.....
View Quote

Anything to keep Jesse and Al off the streets and out of the pool halls..........
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Ha Ha
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Lotboy, that sig pic made me lose it.
shit, that's funny,
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Lotboy, that sig pic made me lose it.
shit, that's funny,
View Quote

That's the new and improved Jacko(a white girl with a fro).

Eeeeeheeeeheeeee! Just beat it!

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
MORE...

[url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/showbiz/3041307.stm[/url]

Actor Glover rails against boycott

Lethal Weapon star Danny Glover has accused pressure groups in the United States of "rabid nationalism" after they criticised his political views.

A group called Judicial Watch has urged a boycott of telecommunications company MCI, which Glover advertises.

Judicial Watch said they were "repulsed" after Glover signed a statement criticising US policies towards Cuba and Iraq.

In reply, Glover said right-wing factions had become the self-appointed thought police.

"It's basically this rabid nationalism that has its own kind of potential of being maniacal," he said.

"As we march down and wave the flags, we must be sure of what we're waving them for."

He accused groups like Judicial Watch of wanting to "crush any kind of dissent".

"Something is happening now that is very dark and very sinister in this country, and for us to not admit it is happening is, in some ways, for us to be blind," he said.

Before the military assault in Iraq, actors' union Screen Actors Guild warned that anti-war actors could be blacklisted.

Martin Sheen, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon and country group the Dixie Chicks have all come under fire for speaking out.

The statement signed by Glover and 159 other people, addressed to The Conscience of the World, appeared in Cuban government newspaper Granma.

It said the Iraq war was an unprovoked, unjustified invasion and there was "a strong campaign of destabilisation" against Cuba that could be used as "a pretext for an invasion".

Judicial Watch president Tom Fitton said MCI endorsed Glover's views by giving him work.

"Glover is coming out in support of a terrorist murderer, Fidel Castro," Mr Fitton said.

"People who are against murder and torture are repulsed by his support, and MCI is slow on the uptake."
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#9]
good for MCI [:)]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:35:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Just wondering...is Glover a muslim? He sure condems the US like the radical muslims do. Someone should check this out.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I just can't wait to see him on the New Hollywood Squares!

Yessir, when you hit that show you career as a celeb. is just about over.

Just ask his buddy Alec Baldwin. HEHEHE.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:16:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Hollywood commie libs.
MCI sucks too !
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:18:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just wondering...is Glover a muslim? He sure condems the US like the radical muslims do. Someone should check this out.
View Quote

No he isn't a Muslim
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Within the last 2 weeks, MCI called to get me to try to sign up.  I flatly told them that as long as Danny Glover has anything to do with them, there is no way I would use their service.  She asked if I would give up such a good deal for political views and I responded with an emphatic 'YES!'.  Maybe they were getting a lot of that.

I actually met the man before it was known that he was such an asshole.  I sat next to him on a flight from Atlanta to Savannah.  He is a very unfriendly jerk.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:32:54 AM EDT
[#15]
See Ya!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#16]
And most recently Mr. Glover signed a letter of support for Fidel Castro.
View Quote

Nice to see that some of the lefties are finally willing to publically speak about their pro-Communist views.

We should not forget that Communism is still a threat - China is a growing world-wide power and, despite some economic reforms, is still Communist.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Adios Asswipe!  This is great news.  I heard MCI was taking heat but didn't know they'd decided to cancel that prick's contract.  Good deal.

As to the whining?  Listen up Mr. Glover and the rest of you fucking "We're-better-than-you-even-though-we-are-ill-educated-moronic-celebs...":  This is NOT a right wing campaign to shut you up and stifle dissent.  Far from it.  You are PERFECTLY within your rights to say any damn thing you want, anywhere, any time, about any cause.

BUT...you must understand that your words and action DO have consequences.  It is perfectly within OUR rights as consumers to boycott you, your work, and any products and the companies that you are hired to support.

Personally, I make a point of refusing to support in ANY way the Lefty Loonies.  I don't give a rat's ass how much they scream "Macarthyism"!  I won't spend one dollar on any of their stuff...not movies, CDs, DVDs, or products that they tout.  They all love to bloviate they socio-political views about how screwed up the USA is and how dumb we all are to support Dubya to their pals in the media...usually totally without consequences.  Lately though, they have been really taking some heat and some of them have clammed up, fearing loss of work and income (Actually, that's too bad.  I'd prefer that they keep on shooting their mouths off...it shows the rest of the country just how stupid they really are[;D].  Others like Glover and Robbins are freaking out, screaming that this is some sort of organized Nazi attack by the Bushies and Fox News to shut them up! [bs]

GOOD!  Maybe one day they will have that epiphany...words do matter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top