Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2003 2:09:34 PM EDT
Anyone ever ride one of these?  IF so what did you think about it.

I think I will be in the market for a bike in around 2 weeks, and this is one of the bikes that looks appealing to me.  Also thinking about a Ducati 748biposto but the 13k MSRP isn't that appealing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard a lot of good reviews on the triumph bikes. I love british bikes anyhow, so I say go for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm actually hoping to go look at the triumph this weekend.  I ride a harley now.  Did you see my thread on bikes last week?
[url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=186597&w=myTopicPop]read it here[/url]

I am interested in the 600cc crotch rockets too.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Say away.

To start with 600TT has issues with the power band of the motor. It lacks bottom end. There have been injection mapping problems from day one with this bike and it has never been sorted very well. Build quality is not very good compared to other manufactures.

Parts are not cheap and the plastics will set you back if you need to replace them in a crash.

I found the Ducati 748 to be a nice bike, uncomfortable for long rides and underpowered compared to an inline 600cc.

Good all around sport bike is the Honda CBR 600 and Yamaha R6. Seeing how your are looking at Italian bikes I can suggest checking out the Aprilia RSV or Falco. Fantastic bikes, although the motor is more powerful than a 600cc and a 1000cc big twin is not for the unskilled.

I have owned all the bikes I have mentioned so if you have any questions send me a message.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#4]
STAY AWAY FROM BRITISH PRODUCTS WITH ELECTRONICS MADE BY LUCAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I used to drve a 76 spitfire (I know not a bike but still a brit car with lucas electronics)  Nothing but electric problems.  Old saying was true work on it all week to drive it on the weekend.  Hell I still won't fly on aircraft with Rolls Royce engines they're all made with lucas electronics.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:15:18 PM EDT
[#5]
What's wrong with lucas?
I too had a spitfire (75 green) although I spent a lot of time in the engine, I never had a single electrical issue. I also ovn an enfield Motorcycle, which is all lucas electrics
no problems there either.  One thing is you need to know how the british approach electronics, they have a slightly different method. Mostly the way they term things but there are subtle differences.
I'm not sure how they stack up by today's standards, but in their hayday- 50's 60's and early 70's Lucas electrics were the shit on the racing circuits.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a '73 Bonneville.  Cool bike when it ran, but when the Prince of Darkness (Lucas) struck things would get really quiet.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:13:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Anyone ever ride one of these?  IF so what did you think about it.I think I will be in the market for a bike in around 2 weeks, and this is one of the bikes that looks appealing to me.  Also thinking about a Ducati 748biposto but the 13k MSRP isn't that appealing.
View Quote

I don't know about the new ones but the first "real" motorcycle I rode back in the '60s was a Triumph 650 and I also later owned one. Damn, I must be [b]old[/b]!
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:17:06 AM EDT
[#8]
you know why the brits drink warm beer?

they have lucas refridgerators.

having owned a spitfire, and mgb-gt, a sunbeam alpine and wrenched on countless nortons, triumphs and bsa's...imho, i'm qualified to say, "LUCAS SUCKS!".
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Campy you must know my dad.  BTW We used to live in the Akron Area.  Now he lives in a hell hole called Indianapolis and in his garage sits a 73 spit 75 spit 76 spit and 80 TR-7.  Last one to run was the 76.  Before that there was the MGB, MGTD, and TR-6.  So I know about lucas and they do SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey did you hear about the new Lucas three position switch?

Off, Dim, and Flicker

Brit's first sentence as he wakes up from surgery....."What do you mean a LUCAS PACEMAKER!!!!!!!!!!"
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:36:32 AM EDT
[#10]
triumph 600tt is a nice bike, but as stated has mucho problems iwth its fuel injection maps/systems.
No joke, a buddy of mine gets his shit updated by the factory because they think they have a solution to a previous problem (thats his 2001 model)

But if u are buying new, may i suggest the NEW triumph daytona in a 600 cC!!!
Looks sweet, and sounds sweet, oh man that is definitelyt my bike there..
i heard they finally fixed the fuel injection problems, but like i said.. only heard.
God knows if triumph really solved it or not..
gluck
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
bwahahahaha! off, dim & flicker!!! lmao!

magnetti marelli...just an amp or two better than lucas!

bobbie bosch is just as crappy. i'm still trying to get the phucked up motronic cumputer fixed in my bmw.

crappy euro-electrics!

my 1947 knucklehead with its' 6-volt, 3-brush generator is more reliable than any lucas system i've ever seen.

i wish i had a nickel for every time a trumpet, beezer or norton followed me home guided by my headlight.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:37:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hmmm...

I'm selling a 1999 Ducati Monster 900S in the EE. Low miles.
View Quote

Why?  I thought you were the Monster poster boy? Why on earth would you want to get rid of it?
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:02:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What's wrong with lucas?
I too had a spitfire (75 green) although I spent a lot of time in the engine, I never had a single electrical issue. I also ovn an enfield Motorcycle, which is all lucas electrics
no problems there either.  One thing is you need to know how the british approach electronics, they have a slightly different method. Mostly the way they term things but there are subtle differences.
I'm not sure how they stack up by today's standards, but in their hayday- 50's 60's and early 70's Lucas electrics were the shit on the racing circuits.
View Quote

You have obviously been transported here from a bizarro parallel universe.  In this universe Lucas is known as the Prince of Darkness.  Literally. [:D]

In the 70s I owned an MGB.  I was constantly replacing Lucas parts on it, especially switches.  When I sold it, it sported a big-ass knife switch that I purchased at the local hardware store for a headlight switch, because the Lucas part would consistently fail every month or so.  Once, the windshield wiper electrical system broke in the "on" position.  The wipers would run whether or not the ignition was on or the engine was running.  Only way I could kill it was to remove a fuse from the fuse block.  Many other bizarre stories.  I've often thought about writing a Stephen King type novel based on my experiences titled "I Owned an MGB with Lucas Parts."  [;D]

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Man you guys are raining on my parade.  I went and looked at one today.  I really like it.  However I want a bike that will run.  The dealer also sells Aprila bikes.  Damn nice looking machines,and cheaper then Ducati.  But 1000cc is bigger then I want.  I could handle it however it's a little big for my size.  The reason I am looking at Itailian and English bikes is because everyone has a japanese bike.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:52:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's wrong with lucas?
View Quote

You have obviously been transported here from a bizarro parallel universe.  In this universe Lucas is known as the Prince of Darkness.  Literally. [:D]

In the 70s I owned an MGB.  I was constantly replacing Lucas parts on it, especially switches.  When I sold it, it sported a big-ass knife switch that I purchased at the local hardware store for a headlight switch, because the Lucas part would consistently fail every month or so.  Once, the windshield wiper electrical system broke in the "on" position.  The wipers would run whether or not the ignition was on or the engine was running.  Only way I could kill it was to remove a fuse from the fuse block.  Many other bizarre stories.  I've often thought about writing a Stephen King type novel based on my experiences titled "I Owned an MGB with Lucas Parts."  [;D]

View Quote

I guess I'm just lucky then. My stuff seems to work fine.
However, since we're bashing british machinery/engineering- one thing I hate- Whitworth freaking hardware (or "fasteners" if you will)
don't ever strip a whitworth nut or bolt- you'll never find a replacement unless you've got lots of $$
Maybe I'm a sadist- I still love british bikes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top