Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The air cooled engine used in the VW Karmenn Ghia is one of the most labor intensive for routine maintenance engines ever built. They don't even have an oil filter. You just change the oil very frequently.

The push rod operated valves have to be checked and adjusted every 3000 miles. The engine is a 4 cylinder horizontally opposed boxer engine. That means you have to lay on the ground to do it,

A brand new VW air cooled engine will last about 80 to 90,000 miles, max, and then it will need to be rebuilt.

The engine has the 'standard ignition' system. That means you get to install new points, spark plugs, condenser and rotor annually. And set the dwell and timing, manually. Distributor cap and spark plug wires get replaced every other year.

The front and rear brakes use drums, and they do NOT have automatic adjusters. That means AT LEAST once a year, you have to manually adjust the brakes.

For all intents and purposes, they have no heat, and no defroster for the windshield. Ventilation is handled by rolling down the window(s).

They have a rear engine and transmission. The gas tank is in the front of the car. They almost always burst in an accident. Also, the front tires tend to hydroplane badly in the rain.

There are just TWO instruments on the dashboard: a speedometer, and a fuel gauge. That's IT.

Do you still want to buy one? I sure as hell wouldn't. Buy yourself a nice used Mazda Miata.
View Quote

A lot of what you quoted is true of ANY 60's to early 70's car. So I'm not sure where you get "most maintenance intensive ever built."  Engines will last well over 100k, if properly maintained.

The heating systems work fine - WHEN they are in top shape.  Most aren't.  Get used to driving in the cold.

Valve lash should be checked when changing the oil every 3k (like other engines with mechanical tappets of that era.) But they rarely need adjustment.  If they do, you have a bad adjuster screw/nut, or a bad lifter/cam lobe.  Again, rare if you change the oil.

It is most emphatically NOT a modern car.  But no worse than any other from that era.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No love for the open tops?

I think 98% I've ever seen were open tops.
View Quote

I have a 72 vert.  It has issues - like every car from the early 70's does.  They are rarer than the coupes, but people put more into preserving them, because they are ridiculously fun to drive.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just saw this one 5 minutes ago
The driver looks like he gets profiled a lot.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/9D66B6CE-AC8D-47EF-B499-D672B3673C72.jpg
View Quote

I really hope a guy doesnt own that...

The color and the grooming of the dog suggests female owner.    Would wait around to see owner because it is either a relatively well maintained older woman or a possibly smoking hot trophy wife.

That isnt a Rosie Odonnel/Mama June sweat pig vehicle, no way no how.

That is likely the car of a woman of means who has tons of options available but chooses that car to be her morning coffee car.    She probably has a thing for young men/pool boys and would love to play Mrs Robinson with the right young buck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:08:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'll take this one
http://i.imgur.com/acnmdkE.jpg
View Quote

Plans for my vert include a Type 4 engine, 5 speed from a 912/914, serious frame reinforcement, 944 rear trailing arms and brakes, 944 front disks.

Of course I've had those plans for about a decade....
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:10:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Poor mans 914
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine and her old Ghia:

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#7]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:12:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Poor mans 914
View Quote

Based on the money you can sink in to them this isn't really accurate.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A friend of mine and her old Ghia:

http://i66.tinypic.com/260tzrk.jpg
View Quote

74 - they switched to 5mph bumpers.  Also last year of production, and a vert.  That's worth a pretty penny now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor mans 914

Priced parts for a 914 lately?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poor mans 914

Tell me about it. I could rebuild type 1&3's in my sleep. Not by choice
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:18:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The air cooled engine used in the VW Karmenn Ghia is one of the most labor intensive for routine maintenance engines ever built. They don't even have an oil filter. You just change the oil very frequently.

The push rod operated valves have to be checked and adjusted every 3000 miles. The engine is a 4 cylinder horizontally opposed boxer engine. That means you have to lay on the ground to do it,

A brand new VW air cooled engine will last about 80 to 90,000 miles, max, and then it will need to be rebuilt.

The engine has the 'standard ignition' system. That means you get to install new points, spark plugs, condenser and rotor annually. And set the dwell and timing, manually. Distributor cap and spark plug wires get replaced every other year.

The front and rear brakes use drums, and they do NOT have automatic adjusters. That means AT LEAST once a year, you have to manually adjust the brakes.

For all intents and purposes, they have no heat, and no defroster for the windshield. Ventilation is handled by rolling down the window(s).

They have a rear engine and transmission. The gas tank is in the front of the car. They almost always burst in an accident. Also, the front tires tend to hydroplane badly in the rain.

There are just TWO instruments on the dashboard: a speedometer, and a fuel gauge. That's IT.

Do you still want to buy one? I sure as hell wouldn't. Buy yourself a nice used Mazda Miata.
View Quote

I put over 100,000 on my '62 Beetle, then gave it to my brother. He put ~10,000 on it and traded it for a Yellow T-Bird because the VW wasn't a pussy-wagon. It was still going strong.
Other than the graphite bearing problems, I don't remember the maintenance being any more demanding than other cars of that era. Of course, you did have to know how to handle oversteer.

Incidentally, you CAN 'do it' in a WV, it just takes some gymnastics, no more difficult than in the saddle compartment of a 2-horse trailer.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:21:52 AM EDT
[#13]
my friend's father had one when I was growing up. We'd drive it around. Just don't hang your arm out the window, scrapped the concrete several times until I learned my lesson. Fun cars.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]
A friend in high school had one after he got to many tickets with his Dodge charger.  Of course he wrecked the KG driving it home drunk after a party.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:30:35 AM EDT
[#15]
My first boss was written up in Hot Rod magazine in the February 1962 edition for dropping a Corvair engine into a Ghia.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

While this may not be the most factually incorrect thing I've ever read on this site, it's in the top 5.....

You should try adjusting the valves on an old BMW "M-88" 6cyl........every 6k miles you get to pull the cams and install new shims.......or perhaps just change the rear brake pads on an E-type jag........maybe set up the SPICA fuel injection on a late 60's Alfa.....

Air cooled Volkswagens are criminally reliable and simple to maintain.......the only problem is really rust (and lack of A/C here in FL)
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:44:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I always like the looks, but was never a fan of that type of german engineering.

Just a interesting side note, that is new to me. The design was actually laid out by Chrysler as the 52 Special and they paid Ghia to make the body work. Ghia used the lines to finish a project for VW that became the Ghia.  The Chrysler folks were very upset with them.

design.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:54:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I always like the looks, but was never a fan of that type of german engineering.

Just a interesting side note, that is new to me. The design was actually laid out by Chrysler as the 52 Special and they paid Ghia to make the body work. Ghia used the lines to finish a project for VW that became the Ghia.  The Chrysler folks were very upset with them.

design.
View Quote

Eh, sort of.  It's not like pontoon fenders were a new styling element.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:05:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Every one I have seen except one owned by the owner of VW Haus (sp) had a bondo nose.  His was cherry and the only VW type 2 in town quicker than my 61 bug.  This was back in the early 80s.

My Step dad owned a VW Porsche garage and my 61 had a 1900 cc big port and valve heads with an Engle 110 cam and recurved Bosch distributor and dual Webbers with a close ratio gearbox and beef-a-diff.  It was wicked fast off the line but his Ghia was faster I think he had a 2180 cc in his.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Every one I have seen except one owned by the owner of VW Haus (sp) had a bondo nose.  His was cherry and the only VW type 2 in town quicker than my 61 bug.  This was back in the early 80s.

My Step dad owned a VW Porsche garage and my 61 had a 1900 cc big port and valve heads with an Engle 110 cam and recurved Bosch distributor and dual Webbers with a close ratio gearbox and beef-a-diff.  It was wicked fast off the line but his Ghia was faster I think he had a 2180 cc in his.
View Quote

Nitpick - the Type 2 was the bus.  Karman Ghia was a Type 1.  Specifically Type 14 - 141 for convertibles, 143 for coupes.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:23:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
An old boss had a funny story about one. Apparently the carburetor was prone to fuel leaks and was situated directly over the exhaust manifold. His wife was driving the car, the fuel started a fire, somebody flagged her down and she stopped. By that time everything was nice and hot, and ignited the magnesium engine block. Fire showed up and started pouring water on, which really doesn't help a metal fire. Car was a total loss.
View Quote

Fuel filter. Kills more aircooled VWs than anything.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a few.  They all have RUST.  Pans are the same as a VW Thing, not the Beetle.  Repos are available and you will need them.  The only car that received more gas station filling up questions was my VW Thing.  Everyone loved the Ghia convertible.  I had a '73 Orange Coupe that the PO had frenched in 356 Porsche headlight buckets.  It also had dual Webers and that car was tons of fun.  I also had a '74 914, I liked that platform better than the Ghia, but even worse for rust.  The Type IV motor used in the 914 and the Vans should have been in the VW Things and later air-cooled Type 1 cars.  A much better motor.  VWs with good tires will go places a 4x4 won't, awesome cars in the snow.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:37:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
An old boss had a funny story about one. Apparently the carburetor was prone to fuel leaks and was situated directly over the exhaust manifold. His wife was driving the car, the fuel started a fire, somebody flagged her down and she stopped. By that time everything was nice and hot, and ignited the magnesium engine block. Fire showed up and started pouring water on, which really doesn't help a metal fire. Car was a total loss.
View Quote

Umm, no.  The exhaust manifolds are under the engine, the carb on top.  Plenty of aircooled VW's have died in a fire, but not from that particular cause.

My parent's 2.3 liter Ford Fairmont, however...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:47:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The color and the grooming of the dog suggests female owner.    Would wait around to see owner because it is either a relatively well maintained older woman or a possibly smoking hot trophy wife.

That is likely the car of a woman of means who has tons of options available but chooses that car to be her morning coffee car.    She probably has a thing for young men/pool boys and would love to play Mrs Robinson with the right young buck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/mossie500/9D66B6CE-AC8D-47EF-B499-D672B3673C72.jpg

Damn, you put a lot of thought into that.  But you're probably right.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:47:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've had a few.  They all have RUST.  Pans are the same as a VW Thing, not the Beetle.  Repos are available and you will need them.  The only car that received more gas station filling up questions was my VW Thing.  Everyone loved the Ghia convertible.  I had a '73 Orange Coupe that the PO had frenched in 356 Porsche headlight buckets.  It also had dual Webers and that car was tons of fun.  I also had a '74 914, I liked that platform better than the Ghia, but even worse for rust.  The Type IV motor used in the 914 and the Vans should have been in the VW Things and later air-cooled Type 1 cars.  A much better motor.  VWs with good tires will go places a 4x4 won't, awesome cars in the snow.
View Quote

That's another mod on my list.  There's also a guy that used to do metal flares that were so subtle you almost couldn't tell they weren't the factory fenders. But I don't think he does them anymore.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Umm, no.  The exhaust manifolds are under the engine, the carb on top.  Plenty of aircooled VW's have died in a fire, but not from that particular cause.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The exhaust ports on a Type 1 are on the sides of the head.  A leaky fuel filter can drip down onto the pan and then flow over to drip onto the exhaust.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#27]
All I remember about them from the old days is the "Ghia Gash".  Seems it was pretty common for the nose to get dented from people backing into them.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Used to have two of them. One coupe and one 'vert. Both were 67s
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The exhaust ports on a Type 1 are on the sides of the head.  A leaky fuel filter can drip down onto the pan and then flow over to drip onto the exhaust.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Port location, correct - I was thinking Type 4.  But it's still not "directly over".  Fuel leaks will cause a fire in ANY engine compartment.  The worst offenders were non-crossflow inline engines - on those the carburetors really are directly over the exhaust manifold, with an inch or so of separation.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Port location, correct - I was thinking Type 4.  But it's still not "directly over".  Fuel leaks will cause a fire in ANY engine compartment.  The worst offenders were non-crossflow inline engines - on those the carburetors really are directly over the exhaust manifold, with an inch or so of separation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The main cause I saw was dumbasses using the glass 2 piece fuel filters.  Those things ALWAYS leaked.  The one piece plastic 'block' filters were the only way to go.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The main cause I saw was dumbasses using the glass 2 piece fuel filters.  Those things ALWAYS leaked.  The one piece plastic 'block' filters were the only way to go.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lack of clamps was also a good one.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#32]
My first car was a 63 Ghia in black with white hardtop roof . Got it with 40,000 original miles from an old man who lived down the street . My father negotiated the deal . I gave it to Earl Scheib for an all black paint job, did a little bit of mechanical work, some new tires and it was excellent. No radio. It was a six volt car and all my friends kept saying "put a radio in this thing!". I told him to listen to the motor. Drove the car everywhere, wasn't fast at all with only 40hp but girls loved it . I sold it to get an old Porsche which ended up giving me nothing but problems.
 If you do get one OP, get a 60's car with the smaller bumpers and taillights since most agree they look better. Don't worry about the power just drive it and have fun. Be sure to find a clean car with very little rust .
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well,the houses on that street are generally $ 4-5 million,its the nice part of town

http://www.pointbrealty.com/marthas-vineyard-property-for-sale.php?id=49
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Holy shit!

Someone put a Carrera 4 Cam into a bug!

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Holy shit!

Someone put a Carrera 4 Cam into a bug!

http://i.imgur.com/XW56yzI.jpg
View Quote

Definitely more money than...something.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:56:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Theres just no real reason I can see for anyone with a normal life to even consider something like this.  If you want a toy, or just have endless time and money then sure.  Otherwise LOL.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Words of wisdom here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:14:35 PM EDT
[#38]
my hippy friend had one. He loved it.

He drove it from Dallas to upstate new york and back. We were taking bets on what state he would break down in. Sure enough, he made it there and back with no issues.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:17:24 PM EDT
[#39]
A friend had one in high school.
It had an 1800 engine with dual Webers and a Select a Drop, that's all I remember about it.
It was faster than all of the other VW's at school.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:19:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I've had a fantasy about getting on and shoehorning a 911 engine into the engine compartment since I was around 14 years old.  I still think that would be fucking cool.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:20:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Can't help you.

Closest I ever got was a '72 wagon.
I was a kid with $500 burning a hole in my pocket.
I just had t have it.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#42]
If I was going to go for a classic it would be one of these and not a Karmen Gorilla;

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:52:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

If I was going to go for a classic it would be one of these and not a Karmen Gorilla;

http://www.imsahistory.com/Pictures/Altec914.jpg
View Quote
To drop a small block Chevy into that, the only body mod necessary is cutting a hole in the front trunk for the radiator.  You use the factory engine mount location, install a new shift linkage, route the throttle cable, fab new exhaust and bolt the adapter to the stock transmission.

The factory ZF transmission is rated up to 500 horsepower, IIRC.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

To drop a small block Chevy into that, the only body mod necessary is cutting a hole in the front trunk for the radiator.  You use the factory engine mount location, install a new shift linkage, route the throttle cable, fab new exhaust and bolt the adapter to the stock transmission.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

They still like to eat clutch cables though.  Honestly that was the most fun car I have ever owned, like a friggen gocart.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
They still like to eat clutch cables though.  Honestly that was the most fun car I have ever owned, like a friggen gocart.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, they sure did.

But hell, a stock 2.0 in a '73 or '74, lowered a bit with 19mm sway bars and Koni adjustable shocks was fun as hell to drive.

And I say '73/'74 because I hated the big rubber bumpers on the '75/'76.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

4 cyl or one of the about 3300 true Porsche 6 cyl ones they made?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:03:52 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All of them.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Transmissions were Porsche, derived from the 901, not the 915.  Renegade says they are good for about 300 lb*ft of torque, but not to abuse it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 2. 0 with the Porsche designed heads only had a little less horsepower than the 6 cylinders installed in 70 and 71.  And was substantially lighter.  Didn't rev as high, though.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:12:44 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Transmissions were Porsche, derived from the 901, not the 915.  Renegade says they are good for about 300 lb*ft of torque, but not to abuse it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.  There was a optional limited slip ZF differential available.

I'm trying to remember this stuff, but it's been 25 years since I was in the industry.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top