Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/18/2003 8:14:02 PM EDT
i work with gas turbines. about the coolest thing is the sound they make as they spool up to speed from a start. we just finished an outage and i got to hear it again, it never gets old. since it has to drive a heavy generator, that great sound drags out a lot longer than that of a jet engine starting. ahhhhh, the sound of power.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:13:57 PM EDT
I like the initial spool of a turbine, but a JT8 is the most annoying thing on this planet. The most awesome sound is an RB211 with full takeoff power....Oh yeah!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:16:35 PM EDT
I have worked on Gas and Steam units and the Steam Units really crank out the sound of Power. It is a little tense when the steam first hits the unit, sounds like the pipes are coming down.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:10:09 AM EDT
We have a few generator buildings here at work. I'm not sure of the specifics of the engines but I know they are huge turbo charged diesel engines. When they fire up huge plumes of black smock roll across the property. Its really cool.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:41:52 AM EDT
J-79 in AB. Ooh yeah! Sounds much sweeter than a J-57 water burner (converted water into high decibel noise creating the illusion of thrust). Of course four TF-33s spooling up for a standing TRT takeoff isn't bad either. The F-117 (the engine, not the airplane) is much more subtle, but capable of getting your attention (a quiet 40,000 lbs of thrust). However, after 2 1/2 decades working with jets my favorite engine sound is a radial. Like the Harley of the skies.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:07:09 AM EDT
Dont know the name of the engine, but the one I always thought sounded the coolest was the engines on the DC10 at WOT. echo6
Top Top