Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2003 6:21:49 PM EDT
Cross posted from subguns.com :

////////////////////////////////////

Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Moderated Discussion Board

CNN TO air retraction tomorrow 5-7 PM

Posted By: Ruben Mendiola www.dealernfa.com
Date: 5/18/03 21:15

Today, Pedro Bello, Nick Davitian and I met with a CNN camera crew and two producers to demonstrate the non-existing actual differences between pre and post ban AR15 and AK47. As we know it the so-called crime bill outlaws guns strictly on cosmetics alone, IE flash hider or bayonet lug.

Apparently CNN received a lot of flack over the terrible story it aired last week in which Sheriff Ken Jennings of Broward outright lied about machines guns becoming available to any and all if the crime bill sunsets and that pre-ban rifles having more power than post ban.

The story will air at 5:00 PM and 7:0 PM Monday and they will air it as a retraction/correction to the previous extremely anti-gun and false story.

NRA Executive Vice President, Wayne LaPierre has also done a fabulous job making CNN go nuts. I understand he will be on the ready with Rush tomorrow.

Sincere thanks to Wally Phillbrick owner of IPS Gun store and range in Hollywood FL for letting us shoot 21 CBS concrete blocks in his indoor range and to Raul for becoming such a pain in the ass to CNN that they called us to do the demo. (He went up all the way to the top)

One person can make a difference. Be active, just don’t sit back and bitch.

Ruben Mendiola
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:23:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Waa-Hoo.

YES!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#2]
OUTSTANDING!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:33:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lets just see what we get. A retraction can be .00001 of an inch and still be a retraction!
View Quote

exactly, but in the spirit of optimism, let me issue a preemptive dancing banana in the hopes that it will be an acceptible retraction.

[banana]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:35:45 PM EDT
[#5]
AWESOME AND THANK YOU!!!

Let's see if during the retraction they report the results of their poll!!!

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Very good! Now how do we get all the anti's to watch?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:41:09 PM EDT
[#7]
That is awsome news![bounce]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very good! Now how do we get all the anti's to watch?
View Quote

If they're truly "anti" it won't matter, they're the ones spreading the lies and deceit - we need the fence sitters to see it.

Quoted:
Lets just see what we get. A retraction can be .00001 of an inch and still be a retraction!

cduarte said :
exactly, but in the spirit of optimism, let me issue a preemptive dancing banana in the hopes that it will be an acceptible retraction.

[b]From Ruben : I have a feeling it will be a VERY FAIR story. The Sheriff setup CNN and he did an outstanding job on it. The story was broadcasted live and he took them for a ride of a lifetime.

The producer and assistant producers appear to be real nice professionals and very concern with the accuracy of their stories. They know he fed them a lot of bull.

The crew received a lot of flack and I have every reason to believe it will be a surprisingly fair story. I can be wrong, but honestly believe it will be fair.

The whole piece that will air will be produced 100% by the folks we met, they know they made a mistake by trusting the Sheriff and they are going to be honest.

If you say something that is wrong, is a mistake. If you know you are wrong, is a lie. That applies to Sheriff Jenne.[/b]
///////////////////////////////////////

Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I will see how much 'retracting' they do. I am glad someone called them on the carpet on this and at least they are doing something on the air.

As for machineguns becoming readily available, I think the NFA should be repealed. After all, there have only been 2 murders with NFA registered full autos since 1934 and both were off duty cops. All the rest, such as the North Hollywood shootout, were done with either illegally modified or illegally obtained full autos, so the NFA, just like the AWB, does not affect criminals, just like every gun law doesn't.

When you say 5-7, does that mean a 2 hour deal or 5 AND 7?  On which of the CNN channels will it be?  I want to set up my DishNetwork reciever to record it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL. Fucking love it.

You guys do know that NRA evaluation was the cause effect I hope.

Couldn't happen to a crappier network or more anti gun sheriff.

Wonder if they will post the results of their poll. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent an email to CNN!!!!

I was part  "Of the cure"!!!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:18:10 PM EDT
[#12]
There is strength in #'s guys.  The days of gun nuts that live in the sticks are over.  The media is being forced to acknowledge that we are middle america and have a collective voice that is loud and powerful.  Although it might be a piss poor retraction it is nontheless a retraction.  It only plays to our hand when they admit they put out bad info about us and our hobby.  I for one know that the WWW has helped unite us and allowed us a greater voice.  Just keep writing and emailing.  

The tide has slowed against us because the popular misconception that the liberal left is a majority is collapsing.  KUDOS ALL!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#13]
One for the good guys.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Too bad the dumb *ucks had to lie in the first place.  What's wrong with the truth?
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

... OTOH, maybe CNN realizes they DO NOT want the conservative gun-crowd knocking on their doors any longer, and if not unfucked properly we'll just unleash further wrath.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:36:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate to seem a pessimist, but this just may be used to fuel an effort to ban weapons with and [b][blue]without[/b][/blue] the cosmetic differences.  I think it's great that we may get some positive media coverage.  Just don't be surprised if they spin it to fit their agenda.

Quoted:
Today, Pedro Bello, Nick Davitian and I met with a CNN camera crew and two producers [red]to demonstrate the non-existing actual differences between pre and post ban AR15 and AK47. As we know it the so-called crime bill outlaws guns strictly on cosmetics alone, IE flash hider or bayonet lug.[/red]

...outright lied about machines guns becoming available to any and all if the crime bill sunsets and that[i] pre-ban rifles having more power than post ban.[/i]

View Quote

TS
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Great job man
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:50:55 PM EDT
[#18]
How very nice of CNN to broadcast a retraction. [rolleyes]

Too bad the damage has already been done.  
Just one more case of "poisoning the well".
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I find it scary that so many Americans know so little about guns! That CNN crew that was "lied to" should have known on the spot that that jackass sheriff was a lie.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

... OTOH, maybe CNN realizes they DO NOT want the conservative gun-crowd knocking on their doors any longer, and if not unfucked properly we'll just unleash further wrath.
View Quote

Proper fucked?

Atleast they are doing it.  Unfortunately, I wont be able to see it because I dont have the means to get CNN.  Let me know how it goes
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One person can make a difference. Be active, just don’t sit back and bitch.

View Quote

Guys, this is the most important sentence in the whole post. I'm no different than some of you. Firm in belief system, paid my dues, and take shit from no one. The "one person" rule was proven to me first hand. I was just the right guy in the right place, at the right time, and said "enough, no more" (Got pissed!![;D]}. (Push my user info button, for more) I ain't trying to toot my horn, the point is, when YOU reach YOUR point, you can act, you can be effective. All we hafta do, is step up to the plate. If we know our stuff, we can handle media, because we know how it works. Most of the pro-gun "spokesmen", I've seen, are MORONS!! Know why??? They got no HEART!!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
5-7pm eastern, central, mountain, pacific?????

When do I need to lock my guns up to keep them from killing my TV? They might go off by accident...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#23]
We can also hope the screw-up reporter from the NY Times has caused many in the media, both print and TV to seriously check their facts.  The retraction may be more than just a quick blurb.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#24]
BTT [:D]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Hopefully they demonstration by the pro-gun people they also show the difference between the "power" of the .223 "Assault cartridge" to the power of a .30-06 "hunting cartridge"
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I am assuming this is headline news, correct?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:04:15 AM EDT
[#27]
we can dream what it would be like if we have more shows like american shooter, the shotgun journal, and pull (tour of sporting clays courses).  If the public knew  the truth of what firearms about then the press would not have a chance with the bogus/scare reporting game that they play.

I know that I am preaching to the choir, but let us all support the OLN and TNN and ESPN for their outdoor programing.

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Could somebody with the capability record this event and make it avail for download?

I don't have CNN
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 6:56:09 AM EDT
[#29]
now if we just had an animated icon for eating crow.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#30]
YES!
Email CNN and give them grief!

Do the same thing to that Pissant "Sheriff" Jenne at www.sheriff.org
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I can't help but feel that the entire gun "control" issue has already blown up in the faces of its supporters, and what we're seeing here is a secondary explosion...

Just a few years ago, would CNN, of ALL places, even bothered to bring an NRA representative on to dispute an earlier show, let alone broadcast a RETRACTION?

I'm amazed (and please as punch, BTW) to see LaPierre (FINALLY!) ram it down their throats. I'm also thrilled to see that the entire establishment is mobilized (Wayne appearing on Rush, Dr. Laura advocating CCW, Sean doing his usual thing).

I think we may have turned a critical corner. We are on the attack, and the Liberals are cowering in the shadows, allowing only the MOST secure in their offices do the gun-control dog-and-pony show. They KNOW it's a loser issue, and WE'RE on the attack to convert those who may have seen a light after 9/11.

It's a great day! Don't give up, though!

[beer] to all of us!

Now let's get back into the battle! [b]UP![/b]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#32]
I will be suprised if there is not a spin pulled on this opne. I'll be watching this evening.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:07:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do the same thing to that Pissant "Sheriff" Jenne at [url]www.sheriff.org[/url]
View Quote

Sir...

I saw your appearance on CNN. I guess since you dont know the dfference between NFA and AWB, you arrest everyone with a gun?

If you really dont know any better than what you did, you should not be sheriff. If you did and lied you should not be sheriff. Either way, YOU should not be sheriff.

LEO's like you are the reason people resent LEO's. Incompetence. You did a con job. A snow job. A pack of lies on CNN. Shame on you.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
now if we just had an animated icon for eating crow.
View Quote

Careful here... [BD]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#35]
T minus 15 minutes or so bump.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Is this "CNN" or "Headline News"? I haven't seen any blurbs and don't want to screw up by flipping between channels.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Please, oh please be there someone who can encode and host the clip even for a little while.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#38]
CNN
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:15:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
CNN
View Quote

Thanks. They just went from "Crossfire" to "Wolf Blitzer". So far, haven't seen any hints of this....
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Have not heard anything either I kinda have a feeling it was'nt eastern time but guess we will see
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I sent an email to CNN!!!!

I was part  "Of the cure"!!!!
View Quote

Me too! Damn this feels good.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#42]
No sign of it here either. Wasn't the original story a Wolf Blitzer report?

No wait, here we go, I think. Listen up!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:35:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#44]

On Now!

Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#45]
WOW they are on CNN right now...
They are covering by saying they need more details....
CRAP the spin now is that they both do the same amount of damage...AND are shooting cindar blocks to prove how bad both are...4:25pm
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Transcript found here:  [url]http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0305/16/wbr.00.html[/url]

PHILLIPS: Viewers are speaking out on a segment we aired yesterday concerning the federal ban on assault weapons. The 1994 ban could expire in September 2004 if Congress doesn't extend it.

Now here's a sampling of your viewer e-mail.

From David in Calhoun, Georgia: "It's not the weapon which has the knockdown power, it's the ammo."

From Andrei in Washington, D.C.: "You made no mention that many Americans legally own fully automatic weapons with a special permit."

And from Jim in San Francisco: "Your sources implied that assault weapons are more powerful than currently legal guns, but it appeared that the only functional distinction was in the size of the clip."

We want to thank our viewers for their feedback and for viewers who didn't watch yesterday, we asked the Broward County, Florida's sheriff's office for a demonstration of the assault weapon. The deputy fired an illegal weapon at cinder blocks and bulletproof vests and you can see the impact here. And then the deputy fired a legal weapon, but the deputy did not fire at the cinder blocks so you could not see similar damage the ammunition would have caused.

Also yesterday on the program former L.A. police chief, Bernard Parks, who's in favor of keeping assault weapons illegal, gave his opinion.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

BERNARD PARKS, FORMER L.A. POLICE CHIEF: There's only one reason for it and you cannot hunt with it. It's only one reason and that is that it kills people. It's a military weapon. It should be kept in a military arsenal and out of the domestic society.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

PHILLIPS: Now we give you the other side from the executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, Wayne LaPierre

Wayne, thanks for being with us.

WAYNE LAPIERRE, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT, NRA: Hi, Kyra. Good to be with you.

PHILLIPS: Well, if the ban on assault weapons expires, what kind of weapons would be legal?

LAPIERRE: Kyra, let me say this to start: I'm glad you ran the story because apparently the only difference between "The New York Times" and CNN is that when a reporter for "The New York Times" fakes a story, he's fired, and at CNN he's not.

Your bureau chief, John Zarrella, deliberately faked the story yesterday and intending to show that the performance characteristics of banned firearms on the list are somehow different from the performance characteristics of firearms not on the banned list. He was -- he was implying that these were machine guns or fully automatic guns. That's not true.

PHILLIPS: Mr. LaPierre, I have to stop you there. No one fakes stories at CNN and John Zarrella definitely did not fake a story at CNN. You're very off base. I'm going to let you say your opinion, and let's have a conversation, but don't accuse our reporter of faking any stories, sir.

LAPIERRE: Let me say it again. In front of the whole country, your reporter faked that story yesterday. It deliberately misread...

PHILLIPS: All right, we're going...

LAPIERRE: There's no way it could be true and I challenge CNN to defend it.

PHILLIPS: Well, we're not going to continue this interview because our reporter did not fake...

LAPIERRE: Because you don't want the truth. The truth you don't want out there.

PHILLIPS: OK, that is not true. We did not a fake a story.

LAPIERRE: You ought to register your -- you ought to fill out a lobby form and register.

PHILLIPS: Why don't we ask another question? What are the uses for an assault weapon? Tell me what the uses are for this.

LAPIERRE: Why can't you accept the truth? There is no difference, Kyra, in the performance characteristics of the guns on the banned list and the guns not on the banned list. They don't shoot any faster, they're not more powerful, they're not machine guns, they don't make any bigger holes, all which your reporter, John Zarrella, implied in that story.

PHILLIPS: Let's talk about the ammunition. Folks had problem with the ammunition. We've heard a lot in the last 24 hours from viewers who made the point that it's not the weapons who do the damage, it's the ammo. OK? Can legally be bought, ammunition. Now does this do -- do just as much damage than an illegal weapon?

LAPIERRE: Kyra, they all fire the same ammunition. Why can't you accept the truth? There is no difference in the guns on the banned list and the guns not on the banned list.

Your reporter's story was deliberately misleading the viewers. Bill Clinton deliberately misrepresented the House and the facts to the House of Representatives in the Congress and I don't believe this House of Representatives is going to fall and have the wool pulled over their eyes the way what happened did in '94.

The truth matters. The public needs to hear the truth and the truth is every police officer on the street knows it. There's not a dime worth of difference between the guns on the banned list and the guns off the banned list in terms of their performance characteristics and I challenge CNN again to defend that story to its viewers because it's not true.

PHILLIPS: What do you say...

LAPIERRE: All day yesterday you misled the viewers.

PHILLIPS: What do you say to the members of the law enforcement community that we had on the air who say assault weapons don't belong on the streets?

LAPIERRE: Kyra, I got calls all day yesterday from law enforcement officers going crazy over that story you ran saying it's not true. They were dismayed that there was a law enforcement officer on there lending himself to it.

The story misrepresented the facts. What we need to do to stop crime -- every time you catch a criminal, 100 percent of the time, prosecute him. Put him in prison.

We have all kinds of gun laws. Catch a violent felon with a gun, put him in jail. Catch a violent drug dealer with a gun, put them in jail 100 percent of the time. That's what rank-and-file cops know stops crime. But again, I challenge CNN in the headquarters to take an objective look at that story and defend it because it's simply not true.

PHILLIPS: All right. Executive vice president...

LAPIERRE: "The New York Times" reporter was fired, John Zarrella ought to be fired.

PHILLIPS: Executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, Wayne LaPierre, that's why we are interviewing you today and that's why we're addressing this to show both sides of that story.

And we all stick by John Zarrella and how credible of a reporter he is.

Thank you for your time, sir.

Well, here's your turn to weigh in on this story. Our "Web Question of the Day" is: "Should Congress extend the assault weapons ban?" We'll have the results later in this broadcast. Vote on cnn.com/wolf.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:40:13 PM EDT
[#47]
TOTAL CRAP!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#48]
HOLY SHIT

CNN actually got it right and interviewed people who know what the hell they're talking about.

Very detailed explanation of banned features and the "post ban" guns (and a FAIR demo of why they're functionally the same). Clips from both sides of the debate. Unusually unbiased commentary and voiceovers.

All in all a very good segment.
I'm pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Oh, bullshit. Wait - let me be fair. It was a pretty reasonable and fair-sounding piece. However, I sure as hell wouldn't call it a retraction or an apology.

I'll take something over nothing but I'm not really impressed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#50]
I have recorded the "retraction."  If someone has a place I can host this I will make it available.  Please email me at [email protected] if you have a place.  Not much of a retraction though...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top