Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/17/2003 9:06:38 PM EDT
The wife's b-day is coming up and she's hinting for a digital camera. I want to get her a good camera since she's into that sort of thing but I don't know squat about cameras. I'd like to keep the price about $500 or so. Any suggestions? Why don't they ever ask for a "nice AR"? rocko.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:21:51 PM EDT
$500 will buy a lot more camera than she's ever likely to use, unless she's shooting photos for multi-page magazine spreads. Several megapixels is sufficient resolution for even large prints. A good OPTICAL zoom is a nice feature – the digital zooms merely crop out all but the center pixels, reducing resolution. I prefer cameras that accept standard rechargeable AA cells. A 4-pack of NiMH cells costs under $6, making it super-inexpensive to carry several spare sets of batteries. Also, you can use AA alkalines in a pinch. Look for an easy way of transferring images to your computer. USB cables are much faster than serial ones. Stick memory or CompactFlash readers are another cheap, fast way of importing images. One feature that is often overlooked is a rugged case. I can guarantee that at some point in its life, your camera WILL get dropped on a hard floor. It would be nice if it survived without a cracked case or broken-off battery compartment door.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:24:25 PM EDT
Look at the Sony Maciva. I got mine for less than $500 with accessories from Best Buy. The good thing about this camera is that you can save to a memory stick or to a floppy disc. You don't have to hook up a docking station to download pictures to your computer. You can also take alot of pictures on the memory stick and save the ones that you want to the floppy using the camera function modes. Karl
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:27:55 PM EDT
I borrowed my friend's Canon Powershot G2 4.0 megapixel and it was great. It's since been replaced by the G3 but you can still find the G2 for about $400.00.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:28:37 PM EDT
If you're going to send the photo's to site to be printed out and sent back get at least 4.0 mega-pix. My wife and I do it all the time and the prints come back looking like 35mm. Also make sure it's rechargeable. I got a Cannon G2 last year and love it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:38:55 PM EDT
Thanks for the help. What about the Canon S400? Seems like a decent camera, got good reviews. Anyone have any experience with it. rocko.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:41:22 PM EDT
I bought a Sony MVC-CD250, for $450. It saves to a 3.5-inch CD (comes with an adapter to use in your disk drive), it has an audio/video cable to plug into your TV, and it will take video w/ sound. It also comes with the usual battery and charger/ AC adapter. Hell, the damn thing will do a lot more than I'll ever use it for.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/17/2003 10:08:27 PM EDT by doorgunner84]
Rocko, I don't know much about the "S" series camera. When I was shopping for one my uncle, who knows a little about cameras told me to stay away from it.... Wait as I type this it was the "powershot" series.... So disregard. I can't say enough about my G2 though. Edited to add that I just checked the specs on the G3 and that seem like a hell of a camera! If you can get the G2 under you price range you won't be sorry.... DG84
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:47:29 PM EDT
i really like the sony cyber-shot line of digital cameras, you get a lot for the money, and in a small package, most have optical zoom, and can also do small video clips with or without sound. I do not like the mavika series, why, they are big(to accomodate floppy), low image resolution, and if you want 4.0 megapixel image it wouldnt fit on a floppy anyways. they were good in their day, but their time is gone. I also like the canon powershot g2 and g3 the olympus C series ultrazoom cameras are nice too. 10x optical zoom!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:03:46 PM EDT
if you can find the canon powershot g3 for anywhere near $500, DO IT!. I have one and absolutely love it. I'm pretty picky about photography and the g3 allows me to set just about every setting possible and it takes fantastic pictures. The learning curve can be slightly high though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:07:54 PM EDT
p.s. http://www.dpreview.com great site!
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:14:44 PM EDT
I like the Nikon line of coolpix cameras. [url]www.nikonusa.com/usa_group/group.jsp?cat=1&grp=2[/url] I would reccomend getting at least a 2.0 megapixel camera minimum, though. Anything less would be lacking in quality. For under $500, you can still find a 4 megapixel nikon on the internet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 11:18:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: If you're going to send the photo's to site to be printed out and sent back get at least 4.0 mega-pix. My wife and I do it all the time and the prints come back looking like 35mm.
View Quote
You DON'T need 4 megapixels to get 35 MM quality at normal photo print sizes! Just because your camera produces that resolution doesn't mean that it's necessary, or that it makes ANY difference in image quality at any reasonable print size. Don't get suckered in to buying more resolution than you'll ever use, especially if it means giving up other more important features.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:48:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:28:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Skibane:
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: If you're going to send the photo's to site to be printed out and sent back get at least 4.0 mega-pix. My wife and I do it all the time and the prints come back looking like 35mm.
View Quote
You DON'T need 4 megapixels to get 35 MM quality at normal photo print sizes! Just because your camera produces that resolution doesn't mean that it's necessary, or that it makes ANY difference in image quality at any reasonable print size. Don't get suckered in to buying more resolution than you'll ever use, especially if it means giving up other more important features.
View Quote
Yep unless your going for poster size save your $$ [:)][:)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:37:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 11:39:43 AM EDT by Cableman]
I just got a Canon A70 for my mom and niece to take pictures with. GREAT CAMERA for the $300 I paid. Uses AA batteries, 3 megapixel, 3X zoom. Probably one of the best deals on the market now. [img]http://www.danscamera.com/Products/digital_cameras/listings/A70.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:51:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 11:52:28 AM EDT by Aimless]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:55:56 AM EDT
learn, compare, get prices at cnet.com [url=http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-1429209.html?tag=ont-cam]cnet.com's digital camera review section[/url]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:09:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:14:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TomJefferson: Curious, why do you do that, send off printing I mean?
View Quote
Maybe they want to share the pictures with friends, or send them off to relatives.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:26:01 PM EDT
I recently did a shitload of research before I bought my digital camera. I went for the Canon G3, and I absolutely love it. It's great because it has an "auto" mode, so you can use it right out of the box without any camera experience. But it also has a lot of manual adjustment capacity so the camera can serve your needs as you gain photography experience. It is a 4.0 megapixel unit with a great zoom. It takes standard flash memory, which is nice and easy. To upload pics from the camera to the PC, you just plug into your USB port. It's that simple. Again, I did a LOT of research and found this to be the best camera for the money and a SUPER value.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:38:39 PM EDT
As posted above, there's a LOT of great information on Digital Photography Review ([url]http://www.dpreview.com/[/url], as well as at CNET.com.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:47:02 PM EDT
Costco has an Olympus 5 megapixel model for $449.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 12:56:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Imbroglio: Costco has an Olympus 5 megapixel model for $449.
View Quote
Don't waste your money on 5 megapix--it's overkill and not needed unless you plan to blow up pictures to poster size.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 1:52:35 PM EDT by nightstalker]
Canon Powershot G2 (under $500) or G3 (over $500) are good choices. Also Nikon Coolpix. Olympus and Sony. 3 megapixel is a good quality range, 3x optical zoom (not to be confused with digital zooms of 4-12x) and the programs in Canons, Nikons and some others work pretty well. Experiments with the camera provide instant results you cannot get with film and it's cheap!!!! A hot shoe is a nice feature if and when you need more than the meager flash generated by the camera. A good measure of film v. digital for 35 mm format is that with the exception of professional film formats (Fuji Velvia, K-64), 6 megapixels will compete in detail with average film and cameras. http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/film.vs.digital.1.html
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:43:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:23:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:39:04 PM EDT
fujifilm a303. Couldn't be happier with mine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:44:06 PM EDT
Thanks again for all of the help. I think I'm going for the G2 or G3 after all of the advice and reading the reviews. As I said thats her thing (she used to take photos for smaller mags in the area). I think she'll be more than happy with the features. Thanks again. rocko.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:56:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/18/2003 6:17:27 PM EDT by doorgunner84]
Originally Posted By TomJefferson:
Originally Posted By doorgunner84: If you're going to send the photo's to site to be printed out and sent back get at least 4.0 mega-pix. My wife and I do it all the time and the prints come back looking like 35mm. Also make sure it's rechargeable. I got a Cannon G2 last year and love it.
View Quote
Curious, why do you do that, send off printing I mean? Tj
View Quote
We don't print all of them. If we have a select few that we like, for example may 6 out of 30-40, we'll get them printed. Then we'll send them to Grandma who's 78 and doesn't really know what the "internet" or "email" is. I only get back to Pennsylvania about once a year so I like to send her pictures of what I'm doing. The nice thing is I can upload them to Ofoto and then they'll send them to her. Easy as that! She likes the 8X10's and they're cheap. So that's one reason why.... Plus you can slap an 8X10 in a cheap Walmart frame and send it as a gift. DG84 Edited to add that our printer is nice but it's not "photo" quality. If haven't looked into Kodak paper for my printer but I know the toner is spendy as hell. Ofoto is pretty cheap. hell, maybe I'm missing something.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 11:43:18 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Sharkman: Don't waste your money on 5 megapix--it's overkill and not needed unless you plan to blow up pictures to poster size.
View Quote
If you aren't doing anything unconstitutional then you don't have anything to hide. Are you afraid that someone might take a pic of one of your JBT raids, enlarge the image and find some incriminating evidence against you feds?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 12:04:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 12:23:46 AM EDT by freedom-fighter]
Originally Posted By Cableman: I just got a Canon A70 for my mom and niece to take pictures with. GREAT CAMERA for the $300 I paid. Uses AA batteries, 3 megapixel, 3X zoom. Probably one of the best deals on the market now. [url]http://www.danscamera.com/Products/digital_cameras/listings/A70.jpg[/url]
View Quote
Unless your wife wants to get into the pro photo business I would save $200 and stick with the 3 megapixels. The Canon G2 and G2 are too much camera for the casual shooter. They also don't do 640x480 movies, which I can't do without. I recommend the Canon A70. It is the replacement for last years best selling camera the A40. I picked up an A70 for $239 shipped from dell.com which is a very good deal. This little Canon is as perfect as a camera gets in it's price range. It's slightly smaller than the A40 and a little bigger than the Elph. It does 640x480 movies with sound. Has a better flash than Nikon's 3100, which also doesn't have sound for movie mode or low light assist. Canon's focusing mech. and image processing is top notch. Pics look excellent. It's amazingly easy to learn to use and transfering pics and movies is simple. It uses standard AA batteries. The ergonomics on the A70 is hard to beat and the it looks good too. My second choice would be their Elph 230. It costs a little more and uses Canon's own battery pack that rechargeable, but it's more compact if that matters to you. Nikon 3100 is small than the A70, but like I said, it doesn't have low light assist like Sony and Canon does and there is no sound when you record movies. Besides that they take great pics and are best for macro shots. [url]http://www.imaging-resource.com/DIGCAM05.HTM[/url] [url]http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html[/url]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:49:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:34:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 1:42:44 PM EDT by ep_shooter]
No one mentioned size. I have a Canon G2 but it is quite bulky and at times can be very "technical" to operate. If this camera is really for your wife (using mine for comparison) she might prefer something smaller and easier to use. Canon makes smaller cameras that take excellent pictures, if you never plan on printing large prints. They also are probably less expensive than the G3 ( you might still find a good deal on a G2). I like my G2 except for the macro settings (i.e. poor focusing capability at close range). Using a higher resolution setting you can get about 50 photos on a 128mb card. If you plan on printing them, Canon's S900 photo printer has worked well for me. Excellent 4x6 borderless prints. When I was looking for my camera, the S400 (?or S40) had very good reviews. I don't know if that has changed since last year. Good luck on whatever you buy and wish your wife happy birthday for me. [bday]
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 9:14:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ep_shooter: No one mentioned size.
View Quote
I was just about to. Cameras are like guns, the best one is the one you've got with you. For that reason I think the Canon line of digital Elphs are the best thing going. They have a new 4 megapixel model out too. I have a Canon S230 which I love. You can get a waterproof case for it that makes it about the size of most of the other digital cameras out there. By itself the digital Elph is smaller than a deck of cards, but slightly thicker. I have a 256 meg card for it that holds some sick abount of photos, so many I can't remember the exact number. I would also suggest a good photo-quality printer.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:10:11 AM EDT
Top Top