Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 5:17:13 PM EDT
My 95 Ford F-150 has failed me :(  bought it used in 96 with 11K miles  . has never failed me until today .. :(  
Its an inline 6 standard. other than gas and oil  < ok.. the starter had to be tightened one time back in '98 > I have Never had any proplems with this truck. I use and [b]abuse the hell out of it [/b]and treat it like .. well .. a "truck"

Im VERY happy with it and somewhat glad something finally went wromg with it.. it was starting to worry me :)

Basicly  I was leaving for work this morning.. turned on the truck, pressed the clutch pedal to put it in reverse when the pedal went all the way down with a "thud"  :(.. oh well it was about time something happened..

So, is 138,547 miles what I can expect out of a new truck that I would buy today ?< before anything [b]major[/b] I mean.. I fully expect to fix whatever broke and keep on going >

Or is that normal milage and I should just shut up an go shot my truck?

again NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it.. kInda proud of that.. :)  Ill admit it looks like shit after all the things ive put her thru.. but she likes it :)

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Well it sounds like either a clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder or cable. I'm not sure what system it uses. It could be a broken pressure plate, but I doubt it.
None of these are considered "major" problems and actually, you got a hell of a lot more miles out of your clutch than 90% of people.
Fix it and keep on driving. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
does it have a hydraulic clutch? maybe the fluid just needs to be filled up. i had a mazda truck that did the same thing. filled the reservoir and drove it another hundred thousand before i sold it. only had to fill the fluid once.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:44:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 91 Ford Explorer with 140K on it, gonna drive it till it dies. Took the wifes 95 Explorer with 150K on vacation to N.C., I can't complain. Ford has been good to me, real good. Both have been paid for, for a long time. When they die, they don't owe me a dime.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Could be that your F150 suffers from the same problem as my Mustang.   The clutch cable is attached to the clutch pedal with this cheap ass little piece.  Basically looks like a dumbel except instead of the thing being solid with round ends, its wire with two balls fastened to it.  Mine has broken 3x in the last 13 years  (160k), usually I can feel it starting to go a week or so before as it kinda feels like the cable is stretching.

About an $8 part.   Only tough part is getting under it (probably not a problem on a truck like on the Mustang), and finding someone to push the pedal in while you hook it thru the loops.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My manual trans Chevy S-10 with 166,000 miles is still running good (with original clutch), but has had the occasional hiccup. I think it's amazing how vehicle quality has improved over the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
My dad's '87 F150 needed a throw-out bearing at 150,000 miles & a clutch slave cyl. at 200,00 miles. AT OVER 208,000 miles it is still on the original clutch & the engine has never been opened.It has the 300 inline six....... too bad they're not being made anymore.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#8]
1996 Chevy S-10 with 238000 miles on it...only Gas, Oil, Tires, and brake pads. God Bless US made Trucks.(I drive all over the state for my job)

Signed
Kurt "You Still driving that thing?" Austin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top