Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 1:10:03 PM EDT
Anybody know anything about foreign money?

I have got a bag of about 50 or so misc foreign coins from the 60s and early 70s. I know absolutly nothing about them. Hell, I don't even know where some of them are from.

I would like to get rid of them but haven't a clue what they are worth or anything. Any one have any ideas or suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:14:31 PM EDT
[#2]
There was a funny bit in the Simpsons where Bart and Milhous were scrimping money to buy a Radioactiveman #1 comic.

They smash open a big foreign coin collection and bring them to an exchange office, and get a tiny bit of American change in return.

Bart: "All that money was only worth 18 cents?"

Dealer: "Let the good times roll!"
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:19:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That is kind of what I'm afraid of.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#4]
American money seems to be the only collectable money for some reason. Also no one exchanges coinage from other countries, only bills. You maybe able to sell it piece meal in like a garage sale type environment for more than they are worth, like 25 cents a coin type thing, but really they aren't even worth the exchange rate here. If it is really a lot try some coin shops in a touristy type area, they may give you a few bucks again to unload them as oddities.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not positive, but I think I understood that the Federal Reserve Branch in Oklahoma City would exchange foreign coins and currency. Of course they might think you're from the WAYYYYY far right when you show up toting that stuff, so leave me out of it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:36:31 PM EDT
[#6]
A friend of mine put up a bunch of foreign coins on eBay in one lot.  Maybe about 50 or 60 of them & they were from the 60's & 70's too.  He just gave a list of what countries some of them were from with some random pics & it went for something like $30.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes. I'm e-bay will be my best bet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top