Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 8:58:24 PM EDT
What the hell am I going to do?  Went to wifes attorney's office with my attorney a couple days ago.  Things were going pretty well until wife and her attorney figured out they weren't going to be getting squat for the final cash payout (long story).  So all of a sudden, her attorney said they need to get more for child support or have me offer to get the cash payout up, split the snowmobiles, stereo, guns, and ammo up.  I looked at my attorney, looked across the table at the opposing folks, looked back at my attorney and said "fuck that".....and then walked out.  It was time to go get my kids at school, so the timing couldn't have been better for me to walk out.

I haven't had a chance to talk to my attorney yet, but what would you do if you HAD TO split your collection up?  I don't have much, couple real nice Garands, couple AK's, couple nice bolt guns, and quite a bit of ammo.  

Like I said, I may not have to split anything up since I think I have "some ammo" on her regarding a couple other things, but the thought of giving her one of my Garands and AK's makes me want to puke.  I know the CMP has lots more Garands, but I guess it's the thought of it that pisses me off.  

What would you do?

vmax84
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Put an ad in the paper, have a friend your wife doesn't know call and come to "check them out."  End up selling then for way less than what they're worth, (actually nothing, since it's your buddy, and he'll be giving them back) Cut your Ex in on 50% of what you "made."  After everything's settled, go pick up your guns.  That's my only idea, other than just sell all the ammo, keep the guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:13:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Focus on the children and your future relationship with them.  The guns are only property with a $ value and replaceable.  Don't overvalue the guns.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Just went through one of those divorce things myself.  Didn't have to deal with the gun thing myself (ex-wife didn't like guns).

But on point, give her a post ban 15 and a couple of of post ban high cap mags, turn her in, collect reward from BATF and buy new guns.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell them all or give her what she wants. The faster you get her out of your life, the faster you can narrow in on the kids and starting that new gun collection.

CH
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Give her the business end of the Garand. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 4:50:24 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a divorce, you're male, you're f*cked.
Get used to it, doesn't matter who did "the wrong".
Generally speaking, if you can keep it to a 50-50 split, regardless of what you had before entering the marriage, you are doing well.
We are in a period of time where 50% of everything you once had, 50% of anything that you gained during the marriage and 50 % of anything your future life may not be enough.

When I went through mine I almost lost my toy's to the split. Here's what went down.
Two professional's making decent $, my son grown and gone, we allowed ourselves generous allowances. She went out with her "girlfriends" partying, plays, day trips etc.(in addition to a very active lifestyle where we traveled, went out etc. as a couple.)I used my allowance for my toys, power tools, firearms etc. She used hers to go out with to socialize.
I then used those tools to do pretty extensive remodeling,  etc.
She benefitted from the extra value that I built into our place an then wanted half of the property that I bought with my own allowance.
In the meantime she and "whoever" she was really partying with had spent all of hers.

Pre-nuptual gentlemen, or just do not play the game. Some are good, some are truly evil, and then there is a large segment in the middle who are messed up, and who could go either way depending on what they get caught up into, and who they hang out with. The sorry fact of things is that women are not handling modern life well. It's an epidemic, and until some sanity enters the picture both the ladies and the guys are going to be in turmoil.

The part you pay for your kids? Don't begrudge a single dime. They cost a lot whether you live with them or not. She may not use your money well, and you may have to ask questions from time to time, but they are your kids and you need to make an attempt to raise them well.
We already have too many examples of what  throw away kids are doing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:27:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I will buy everything from you for 1$ then sell it back to you. There is nothing that says you can not do that!! [dracula]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 5:50:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Seriously, "sell" them all to a buddy and get them out of the picture for a year or so. You can always "buy" them back when this is all said and done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 6:33:14 AM EDT
[#10]
First of all...the kids are the priority.

However, don't forget that the guns really aren't worth THAT much.  Give her BOTH snowmobiles and stereo and that ought to cover the value of the guns.

In the end, it's all material positions anyway.  When you die your children and others won't be saying, "Wow...he had some nice guns, it's a shame he died."  No, hopefully they will remember you for your relationship with them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Go to a gunshow

By 4 or 5 POS junk guns

Give them to wife
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Give her the ammo, you keep the guns.
Seriously, while there is time. Sell the guns to a friend, buy/sell agreement. Or if you have a local dealer who is your friend, same thing. Give the guns to your dad etc. Hide them now, your wife won't know what they are and they won't be able to come up with a dollar value if her attny can't i.d. them. Furthermore, beware of a restraining order, her attny could pull that and you would have to surrender your guns anyway. Get them out now! Screw the ammo, leave it behind. Angry ex's will attack you where you will feel the most pain, don't count on your attny to protect you & your guns.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Hello? I'd like to report a burglary. They stole my entire gun collection. I was only gone for a few minutes. No, I don't have the serial numbers.[lol]
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Go to a gunshow

By 4 or 5 POS junk guns

Give them to wife
View Quote

Now there's an idea!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go to a gunshow

By 4 or 5 POS junk guns

Give them to wife
View Quote

Now there's an idea!
View Quote

And there's your answer.....
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Actually CS223 has the right approach. "Sell" them to a friend that will sell them back when you are ready. Divorces can be nasty, and getting rid of all your guns could save you a lot of grief. Sell them cheap, give her 1/2 the money, and buy them back after the smoke clears.
If you are "perceived" as a threat and the law is involved it will follow you for life.
Remember she doesn't really have to be correct, "merely afraid" and you will be cooked.
Take away all temptation (from both of you) and keep yourself safe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Total up the value, give her half in cash.  Sell whatever you need to to cash her out, keeping what's most important to you.

You're done.

I pity the kids...
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Sell it all to your best friend for a dollar with the hope that he might let you buy them back some day.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 2:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
one of my friends knows a guy who replaced all his real guns with bbguns and pipes duct taped to stocks he got at gunshows for a couple bucks.  his wife knew how many he had but now what kind or any of the serial numbers!  easier to let go of a red ryder than a winchester M1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top