Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/13/2016 10:48:05 PM EDT
I just saw in another thread that someone mentioned that vets don't like being thanked for thier service, is this a common thing? I always thank vets for service when I see them. I just don't want to offend folks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I never feel the need to thank them openly and in public.  I'm a stranger.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
It's embarrassing. I folded tents, fixed my track, counted motrin and gave a few guys moleskin, IVs and bandaids.  I volunteered for it when our country was in a war but that's nothing special to brag about.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I never know what to say back, it's kind of awkward.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially at the urinal in the airport.

Patting me on my back.

Don't do that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I get embarrassed by it.  I ain't done nothing much.  Better men than be have sacrificed more.  I try not to bring that to the table when a stranger says thanks, though.  I just say, "It's my pleasure, Ma'am," and go on my way.

I do avoid doing anything off base in uniform, though.  I just don't like attention.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Thank you for your support"  When in uniform.

Now I just say "thanks" and move on.  It's a common thing that people say to service members.  No reason to dwell on it.  I like to say "stay safe" to service members.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Makes me uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I always found it super awkward. I appreciated the sentiment but never knew what to say in return. So many more people did so much more than I did so there's the feeling that the thanks are undeserved.

Now a days I just say "thank you for your support" or simply "Thank you" instead of trying to explain that I feel that don't deserve the thanks.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
The sentiment is appreciated but it's kind of awkward. I was fully paid for every day I was gone and no one owes me any gratitude.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:57:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't like it. I usually don't say anything back.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I, for one, feel its become a bit of a cliche and drips with insincerity.
But what do I know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I can see where survivor's guilt would make it difficult to be thanked for coming home when others did not.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:58:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I always found it super awkward. I appreciated the sentiment but never knew what to say in return. So many more people did so much more than I did so there's the feeling that the thanks are undeserved.

Now a days I just say "thank you for your support" or simply "Thank you" instead of trying to explain that I feel that don't deserve the thanks.

View Quote

There's no reason to feel that way.  If you served honorably, you signed up to potentially go into whatever war this nation gets involved in.  WW3 didn't pop off, but it could have and you signed up to go.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:59:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Patting me on my back.

Don't do that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Patting me on my back.

Don't do that.

Sorry
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Just say "no problo rob lowe" then everyone's uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the way I feel about it. I never bring up my military service but I get that sometimes when someone asks me what I do. (I'm a sailor)

I guess some people don't know the difference between a civilian sailor and someone in the Navy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I think it depends. The vast majority of veterans now do not want to be "thanked". I did not enlisted for thank yous or free shit. That being said, i still thank every veteran that I notice. We owe them a thank you at the very least. The way that Vietnam vets got shitted on when they returned makes me do it. I am a veteran and I think I was lucky to be able to do what I did and be with the people I was with. I do not need a thank you, but I will never ever be a part of the shit on a vet crowd and so I try and counter the assholes.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Whenever someone thanks me for my service, I ask them to buy my next meal.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The thanking them for their service started with the Vietnam Vets who were spat upon by some.  I'm sure it was great appreciated in the '80's.  

Today, maybe not so much.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I just saw in another thread that someone mentioned that vets don't like being thanked for thier service, is this a common thing? I always thank vets for service when I see them. I just don't want to offend folks.
View Quote

You are correct

Serving is a personal issue.  We do so for our own reasons ..... Not for the thanks
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Makes me uncomfortable.
View Quote

Me too.  It is just a job do people go around thanking their mechanics, gardeners, and plumbersfor their service?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:02:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always found it a bit awkward.  No big deal, though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Well this thread fucking sucks!

I love every one of you and I'll keep saying it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#24]
It's a double edged sword.

It can be awkward but at the same time the support is very much appreciated. Especially considering what the old timers went through.

I prefer a head nod and smirk. Most just don't want the added attention a verbal thank you may generate.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#25]
The guys walking around with velcro, dirt colored hats love it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I appreciate when someone says thank you for you service.

I don't expect it nor require it.  It's generally not easy for someone to approach a complete stranger and say it.

I always reply "thanks for your support."

Just a small gesture of kindness.  Whether they mean it or not..who cares.

If a vet doesn't like it..o well...they can get over it.

One thing that does get on my nerves though: "I support our troops, not the war"

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Well that's sad  to hear.  I guess I have to stop inviting them over to bang my wife when I see them.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been spit on for my service, and I've been thanked for my service.  Being thanked for it is the better of the two.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been told they don't like it by many people. I just keep my mouth shut and ignore folks now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
It's just people trying to be nice. Thank them and move on. They don't understand the details of your service or how you feel about it, so be polite and it will be over so fast you won't remember it even happened.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I usually say, "If you were truly greatful you would let me fuck your wife / girlfriend."
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#33]
It doesn't offend me but it does make me uncomfortable..
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#34]
I appreciate it and I ALWAYS take the time to thank other vets. I am especially thankful to the Vietnam vets. They spent so many years being purposely not appreciated, spit on ect. They deserve to hear appreciation far more than I do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:08:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Thank you for your support!"

Always works for me.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I, for one, feel its become a bit of a cliche and drips with insincerity.
But what do I know.
View Quote

Ah, I understand. The main reason I thank soldiers is, I was raised in a military family, my brother, father, uncle, and grandfather are all vets. I tried to join, but I am deaf in my left ear, so I was never able to do my part. My grandfather has a Purple Heart, and I have always, and always will, show the utmost respect for service members, regardless of thier MOS or location of service.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:08:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It's just people trying to be nice. Thank them and move on. They don't understand the details of your service or how you feel about it, so be polite and it will be over so fast you won't remember it even happened.
View Quote

But I usually just to this...
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:09:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I get embarrassed by it.  I ain't done nothing much.  Better men than be have sacrificed more.  I try not to bring that to the table when a stranger says thanks, though.  I just say, "It's my pleasure, Ma'am," and go on my way.

I do avoid doing anything off base in uniform, though.  I just don't like attention.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:10:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was active duty, my job wasnt even close to the front lines. For me, I think it's the people out there risking their lives that deserve all of the thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:11:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Well that's sad  to hear.  I guess I have to stop inviting them over to bang my wife when I see them.
View Quote

Holy fuck I just shot redbull out of my nose!!! Rofl
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:12:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I usually say, "If you were truly greatful you would let me fuck your wife / girlfriend."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My reply would be " go ahead but it's your funeral."
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wasnt the door gunner of the space shuttle so that I could receive praise. But to show my appreciation and thanks for people that do support the military; I can be over at 8. It's the least that I can do for you.

Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:16:33 PM EDT
[#44]
If it comes from a fellow veteran I just say "you're welcome" and "thank you for your for your service"....if from a civy...just "you're welcome"....sometimes I say "thank you for thanking me"  & smile.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I always second guess admitting that I served. I don't want people to think that's why I brought it up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:21:12 PM EDT
[#46]
As a member of the peacetime (cold war) military I find it awkward. I don't feel I did anything special especially considering those were on duty in combat zones. I understand that I could have been called on to fight but luckily I wasn't .

My reply is always "You're quite welcome."
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#47]
All I did was a couple of hitches in the reserve and never got activated, so I never accumulated enough time to be officially considered a "vet" by the VA.

When one of my acquaintances thanked me for my service on Veteran's Day last year it was kind of awkward to explain to her that I wasn't really a veteran.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:25:55 PM EDT
[#48]
It might be true humility.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#49]
I still remember the look on Dad's face the 1st time someone told him "Welcome Home". It was a look of confusion about what the hell the dude was talking about. I whispered "Nam" and then he told the man thanks.  He don't talk about it much and we don't ask. The few stories I've heard from him were the highlights Flew in under fire and the plane didn't really stop everyone just ran off the ramp,  saw Puff on the runway,  got attacked 1 night and said fuck it and chased them in the jungle and flew out.
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 11:28:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The sentiment is appreciated but it's kind of awkward. I was fully paid for every day I was gone and no one owes me any gratitude.
View Quote

Same same
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top