Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 2:01:43 PM EDT
Democrate country, where they can leave the state to get their way. Took their marbles and left so that the time would run out. What is that all about?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:10:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, the law requires 2/3 of the members to be present to form a quorum.  The Republicans have control of the House and were going to pass a redistricting bill to reassign congressional districts.

The Democrats used to do the same thing every time they had control of the House, but now that they are the minority, they don't want to play fair.

So, enough of them left to Oklahoma to prevent a vote on the redistricting.  The time has now passed to vote on the bill and they are returning to their jobs.

Gutless democrats.  No ethics or morals.  The same in every state.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Setting a mighty fine example for the rest of the country.
View Quote

Well old boy, if that is true we all lose. They are a bunch of gutless wonders, who relish in the limelight as heros. They should be tied to a cactus and wipped with a rope. I have always had a lot of respect for Texans, but this takes the f@$king cake!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...I have always had a lot of respect for Texans, but this takes the f@$king cake!
View Quote

Well, even though they are from Texas, they are still Dems.  A lot better than the MA Dems, but Dems just the same.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
The Fort Worth Star Telegram said that Willie Nelson sent them some booze and a not that said, "Good job!" or something like that...I'll look for a link.

Edit: Looks like I spelled Willie wrong. Also, I found the link. Here:
[url]http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/legislature/5875688.htm[/url]
Spotlight glare is too hot for some Democrats

By Jack Douglas Jr.
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

STAR-TELEGRAM/KELLEY CHINN
Texas House Democrats gather Thursday outside their hotel in Ardmore, Okla. The battle between the GOP and them has been parodied on radio talk shows and television.

STAR-TELEGRAM/KELLEY CHINN
Rep. Dora Olivo, D-Rosenberg, joins a group photograph Thursday of the runaway Texas House Democrats in Oklahoma .

ARDMORE, Okla. - A week ago they were virtual nobodies in national politics.

But since early Monday, when they crossed the Red River in the dead of night into Oklahoma, 51 Democrats -- runaway members of the Texas House -- have been thrust into the national spotlight, showered with support or castigated as "chickens" in their fight with Republicans over congressional redistricting.

Rep. Joe Pickett, D-El Paso, says he doesn't mind the national media portraying their fight with the GOP as an OK Corral-style standoff. "They're absolutely right. It is," Pickett said.

For the Democrats, including the ones who are media savvy and the shy ones who jump at the click of a camera, their newfound celebrity has been a good thing and a bad thing.

Republicans say the rebel lawmakers' actions, to boycott the House and stop a vote to redraw congressional districts, threatens the passage of important legislation to improve health care for children, fund public education and solve the state's $9.9 billion budget shortfall.

House Speaker Tom Craddick, a Republican at the center of the bitter stalemate, said Thursday that the AWOL lawmakers had given Texas a "black eye." Gov. Rick Perry called the missing Democrats "cowardly" and "childish." Republicans have held up placards calling them "Chicken D's" and "trash."

On Thursday, one sign outside the Holiday Inn in Ardmore, where the legislators have been holed up since the first of the week, said: "Thank Heaven these Democrats weren't defending the Alamo."

There have also been "We Love You" placards, and supporters have filled the hotel with balloons, flowers and baskets of cookies.

[red]Country singer Willie Nelson sent whiskey, bandannas and a note that said: "Way to go."[/red]

And the Democratic Party in Ardmore is printing T-shirts that say, "Remember the Holiday Inn."

Ardmore has not experienced so much media attention since early last year, when four escapees from a Texas county jail, including two convicted murderers, were nabbed at a local convenience store.

The battle between the missing legislators and the GOP has been parodied on radio talk shows and late-night television. The Daily Show with John Stewart on the Comedy Central network called it "pathetic" and suggested that "it may be the only option left for all Democrats to leave their states and take to roving in nomadic packs around the country, living off the land as renegade outlaws."

"The ones that survive," the show continued, "will tell the tale of a once relevant political party, the Democrats."

Lawmakers at the Holiday Inn said they see nothing funny or pathetic about their decision to leave Texas to make a point. But they admit they are astonished, and for the most part appreciative, of the publicity they have received.

"I know this seems extreme to some people ... [ but] we had no intention of creating a show," said Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston. "There are a lot of members here who would rather not be seen. Some of them are shy."

When it comes to media attention, count Dan Ellis, D-Livingston, as one of the shy types. "I have a tendency to avoid the glitz and glamour that sometimes comes with this job," Ellis said.

He agreed, however, to participate this week in a radio talk show from Boston. But when the BBC called, Ellis was already on the phone with a reporter from his district in East Texas. "I felt it was more important to talk to my home folk than to talk to the people in England," he said.

Ellis said he was ready to go back to his low-profile, seldom-quoted role as a rural lawmaker from the Piney Woods. "I'm a little shellshocked to be thrust into something like this," he said.

One of the most telling examples of just how riveted the national media has become to the Texas Democrats in exile came during the early morning hours Wednesday as television camera operators followed Paul Moreno, a wheelchair-bound legislator from El Paso, as he was laboriously lowered down the basement stairs of the Holiday Inn. At the time, Moreno and other guests were scattering for cover from an approaching and potentially dangerous storm.

The veteran legislator said that once he decided to make the trip to Ardmore, "I expected some attention." But Moreno said it was not until he arrived Monday night to a round of applause from his colleagues and then was met by the cameras and the reporters that he realized the story was "something bigger -- something bigger than politics."

Researcher Miguel Liscano Contributed to This Report.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack Douglas Jr. (817 390-7700 jdlNstar-telegram.com  

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
bunch of communist impersonating "Texans"
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]
see, that wacky tabaccy will fry your damn brain
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have always had a lot of respect for Texans, but this takes the f@$king cake!

View Quote

Hey, every state's got it's faggots...
Thank who or whatever's in charge of this twisted world that we don't have as many as other states do...

And ol' Willie's probably trying to encourage them to be even more pussified.
Keep their stretched out asses out of Texas for a while.
Hell, maybe they'll all move out!
Damn commies...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
bunch of communist impersonating "Texans"
View Quote

Spit my beer on that one. Glad to hear not many of you folks are standing with them. Must be they moved there from Calif.! [:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:53:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Being a true Texan is more of a state of mind than geographical birth.
Some people just shouldn't be here though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#11]
What it realy comes down to is this.

Democrats are all about "democracy" until they are the minority. And then they don't like it so much. Instead of playing by the rules they act like a bunch of spoiled children and throw a temper tantrum to get their way.

They went to Oklahoma for several reasons. First, it is illegal by Texas law for a representative to miss a quorum call without permission. Missing a quorum call subjects the rep. to arrest.

Second, they went to Oklahoma because the govenor is a democrat and they knew that he would play ball with their little tantrum by not letting the Rangerinto Oklahoma to arrest them.

And finally, they wanted to thrwart the will of the people, as democrats usually do. In Texas there are almost no elected democrat officials. IIRC the top 30 officials in the state governement are all Republican. Both U.S. senators are Republican. The U.S Reps are 15(R) and 17(D) only because of previous democrat jerymandering of districts. And until the last election democrats controlled the Texas house and senate. But now the Republican's control them, the house by a large majority. Texas has been tending heavy Republican and the dem's don't like it.

I am sure there is more that I am forgetting. I could go on for hours bagging on dem's. But it is so easy it isn't even fair anymore.

Rusty
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I never did like willie nelson. Screw him.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What it realy comes down to is this.

Democrats are all about "democracy" until they are the minority. And then they don't like it so much. Instead of playing by the rules they act like a bunch of spoiled children and throw a temper tantrum to get their way.

They went to Oklahoma for several reasons. First, it is illegal by Texas law for a representative to miss a quorum call without permission. Missing a quorum call subjects the rep. to arrest.

Second, they went to Oklahoma because the govenor is a democrat and they knew that he would play ball with their little tantrum by not letting the Rangerinto Oklahoma to arrest them.

And finally, they wanted to thrwart the will of the people, as democrats usually do. In Texas there are almost no elected democrat officials. IIRC the top 30 officials in the state governement are all Republican. Both U.S. senators are Republican. The U.S Reps are 15(R) and 17(D) only because of previous democrat jerymandering of districts. And until the last election democrats controlled the Texas house and senate. But now the Republican's control them, the house by a large majority. Texas has been tending heavy Republican and the dem's don't like it.

I am sure there is more that I am forgetting. I could go on for hours bagging on dem's. But it is so easy it isn't even fair anymore.

Rusty
View Quote

Thanks for the lowdown on it. Makes more sense now. Hope you lock the whiners up!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The Dem's put some real funny districts into play in '91.  It insures that even though they are now a minority in Texas they still have a chance at almost 70% of the reps in the US House.  You should see some of these 'districts,' all chopped to pieces to keep Repub's out.

Delay got fed up with it, and the 'out of season' redistricting attempt was the result.  Lloyd [s]Dogshit[/s] Doggett (US House) was just on 'Austin Now' going on about evil Repub's, as his elimination was a part of Delay's plan.  He has been a POS since his 'impeach Reagan!' days.

Repub's have been a minority since reconstruction in the Texas House/Senate, but never pulled this kind of thing in the last hundred and forty years.  

That said, the LibDem's won.  The US House will not reflect the people of Texas.  Winning is all that counts in politics...  [:(]  They are heros to many in Austin.  [furious]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Rusty
View Quote

I follow you on that one and ask why the fvck isn't the FBI up here busting their asses for interstate flight to avoid arrest?

And, on behalf of the state of Oklahoma, I'm damned ashamed that we are letting them get away with it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Two things.

First, I would have tabled the redistricting so they would come back, then surround the Capitol with DPS and Rangers.  Then take up redistricting when they couldn't leave.

Second, to make Old Painless's point stronger.  When the Democrats were in control they did what they wanted regarding redistricting.  They were in control for 130 (straight) years.  There never were any "Killer R's" or "Chicken R's" in that 130 year span.

TS
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw on CNN today that they held up 500 bills and cost the state of Texas [b]700 Million Dollars[/b]

Its to bad they cant be hanged.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Fudge 'em all!

The Tide of History is running against the Collectivists everywhere!

And every weekend the Gun Shows are operatimg to make good little Republicans out of more and more of us!

Fudge 'em all again!

[size=4]We've got the guns![/size=4]

Eric The(WellRegulated)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
[B]Gutless democrats. No ethics or morals. The same in every state.[/B]

Yep it was really all about protecting their phony baloney jobs. Several of the high ranking Dems were going to be re-districted out of their jobs or were going to have to run against other high ranking Republicans. If there was no quorum there could be no vote and the bill would die at midnight Thursday. Gerrymandering is a no win situation either way you look at it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:34:58 PM EDT
[#20]
As you can see the Dumbocrats don't have a lot of experience being in the minority.

I look at this like them whining about Bush landing on an aircraft carrier.  In the end it will do them more harm than good.  The Dems fail to see that this is a different world now than it used to be.  Not as many people listen to the liberal media anymore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I've seen the defecrats do some pretty convoluted gerrymandering to create all-black districts.  How is that more moral than doing the same to create all-white districts?  It's not.  Both are wrong.  

Politics and dirty socks have a lot in common.

Defecrats have no shame, no ethics, no morals, no spine, and no standards.  Look how "conservative" Joe Lieberman abandoned his principles when he thought it would get him a shot at the vice presidency.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top