Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 11:37:27 AM EDT
Which game system is the best on the market.

quality, number of games etc. the x-box or other?

Thanks,

Badredfish [devil]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#2]
PCs are the best! A fast PC, lots of memory, and good video card is by far the best.  Single player, multiplayer, realism, and quality can't be beat.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
XBOX is the most advanced system and it's growing fast. If this is your first console, go XBOX. It has the fastest processor and most memory of the consoles. Also has a very high end Graphics system and comes with an 8 GB HDD. the XBOX OS is a hybrid Windows2000 system, so development is easier than on other systems. XBOX Live! is a High Speed internet setup for online gaming and software updates. All around the best system.

If you had a Playstation 1, the PS2 is very cool because it will still play those old games, in addition to the new PS2 games. PS2 is the current number 1 system in the market and has the most titles. But like I said XBOX is growing fast and PS2 is showing it's age. The more advanced games will be hitting XBOX first.

Gamecube is the system of choice if you have young children. Lots of kid's games on that platform. But I really wouldn't recommend a Gamecube unless there is a specific GameCube only game that you really want to play.

Hope this helps !
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
XBOX - its newer and you get more for your money.  It has a 8 gig harddrive, network adapter, better graphics chip, and it has new features coming out which will be downloaded to it over the net.  You can't do that with a PS2.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
When the XBOX was first released, MSRP was $299.  Recently it was reduced to $199.  This is a steal!  

What QShok said is true, however, a PC costs over a grand and playing games on it uses every bit of its capabilities.  This means that the PC will get slower (which they all do) more quickly.  It is OK for the less graphics-intensive games, but not for true gaming.  The other problem is the screen size - it is too small.  

If you really want to get the most out of the XBOX system, you need a larger than average TV, and good surround sound.  Put the volume on high and it is as close to virtual reality as I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both the X-Box and the GameCube. Both are extremely good, but the X-Box has the edge in technology. The games simply look and sound better.

X-Box is beginning to generate some kick-ass games, and a few are due out this year that look AWESOME.

If I had to choose only one, I'd go X-Box.

BTW, if your wife (like mine) likes to play Zelda and Mario, then you're going to be stuck with a GameCube. That's how I ended up with TWO consoles...
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:14:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Rehash
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=183691&w=searchPop[/url]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I would personally rule out the Gamecube and look at either the PS2 or Xbox.  

I'm a big Xbox fan, that is what I would personally get.  Better system with plenty of good games, and far superior online play.  But the PS2 is a good choice, with alot of good games.  Neither is a bad choice.

I've read the XBox just dropped to $179, or at least it was announced at E3 that it would, not sure when that goes into effect if it hasn't already.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
at my wal-mart they dropped the price of the XBOX and the PS2 to $179 TODAY!! i believe it was a home office markdown, so it should be that price everywhere. plus i get a 10% discount on top of that. looks like i'll be getting an XBOX for $162. working at wally world isn't all bad.

PS- a friend of my wife is giving us a PS2 next week. i love freebies.....
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:34:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which game system is the best on the market.

quality, number of games etc. the x-box or other?

Thanks,

Badredfish [devil]
View Quote

I have both the Xbox and PS2.  It really depends on what you want out of it.  What I will tell you, I play the PS2 99.5% of the time over the Xbox.  In fact I haven't picked up the Xbox in a few months. If you are going to get into online play, DON'T bother looking at anything other than the Xbox IMO.  The Microsoft(Xbox) online gaming is MUCH more advanced than that of the PS2.  As far as game titles is concerned, the PS2 owns the show.  Sony has soooo many game titles for the PS2 its numbing.  I'd get the PS2 if I were to reccomend it to someone based on the following:
1. More Games
2. No remote needed to play DVDs'

The Xbox has its advantages also...
1. 4 controller ports
2. Better hardware
3. Better oline play
4. Supports HDTV and Dolby Digital 5.X
5. Internal HDD

Like I said, I have both and pick up the PS2 almost everytime!!!!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#11]
screw em both and go PC also with emulation one can play almost every system thats ever been made.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:11:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I like the PC platform for gaming. Best graphics, best sounds, best control and online playing options and of course the ability to upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
screw em both and go PC also with emulation one can play almost every system thats ever been made.
View Quote

I personally like the idea of $199 for either the Xbox or the PS2, and I can play iton my 57" TV with surround sound.  What would you have to tie up into a computer as far as graphics/sound cards plus the initial cost of the computer to get the same performance.  Also, Most of the game manufacturers I think are making more and better games for the consoles overthe PC because there is moer money in the console market. Just MHO tho
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
i got a game cube and an xbox. for hardware, go with the xbox. for software, go with the ps2. for a good deal, i would go with the game cube any day. for the price vs quality (hardware and software) you can't go wrong. just my opinion.

J
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I second PCs, they are by far the best gaming system, tons of games, fan support, and upgrade ability (plus the best multiplayer).

If you are insitent on getting a console I would vote X-box, it's online system is the best and the games are of the high quality compared to what I have seen in the other systems.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I guess it must be time to update my Magnavox game system then.
And just when I was about to master this "Pong" game too.

Biggest problem is these newer TV's just don't have enough screen static electricity to hold the cellophane sheets to the front of the TV so's I can play the other games it has.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:50:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Get an Xbox, Get Halo!!!!, and then get Xbox live.  Beware of Ghost Recon, though, they have some lag issues to work on, but it's still much better than what POS2 can offer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I altered my Xbox. It now can record games onto its internal hard drive. I have 57 games stored inside my box. No DVD's required. I just go to Blockbuster and rent a new game, bring it home and record it. Takes ten minutes per game, and $40 out of Bill Gates pockets.

Check out the FAQ's on www.xbox-scene.com if you want to follow in my footsteps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 1:21:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I still prefer the PC, with high-end system, you can run games that have better framerate and graphics.  Generally the PC also has more realistic titles, and if these are available on consoles as well, I prefer the PC versions controls. Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon should be played with mouse and keyboard. America's Army is a solid title for realism.  Another realistic infantry game is Operation Flashpoint, the vehicle physics arent great, and the AI is cheap, though.  I've always liked the PC better, but still,I love consoles.

I own a PS2 and XBOX.  I prefer the XBOX.

The PS2 has some great exclusive titles (SOCOM and GTA 3 and Vice City, which happen to be the only games I own on this system), but while it does have more games, that leaves room for more crappy titles.  I've always hated RPGs(Role Playing Games, not Rocket Propelled Grenades), lack of action on your part, more like a mutiple-choice test:  Would you like to attack?  Yes.  Are you sure? Yes.  MISS!!!  Since I despise almost all RPGs in any shape or form, this takes away alot of appeal to own a PS2.  Few titles are coming out that I am looking forward to.  The new Syphon Filter looks awesome, can't wait.  Not realistic, but a good action game where you pretty much shoot anything that isn't you.  Largely run and gun.

The XBOX is more powerful, and creates shinier and faster graphics most of the time.  Most of the time when a game is released for the PS2 and XBOX, the XBOX version has better graphics, smoother framerates, and quicker load times.  The XBOX has 4 controller ports, meaning multiplayer is better.  I don't have to pay $40 more to let my other buddies kill each other.  The XBOX was designed with large-scale multiplayer in mind.  I've had a 16 people, 4 XBOX Halo war go on for 16 hours straight.  Halo is always great, team games really shine.  Halo 2 will ensure that I will never have a girlfriend.

If sports games are your thing, I can't help you.  Not sure which system has a bigger library of these.  I've never been a big sports game fan, and every game I have either involves shooting or hitting people or aliens.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top