Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:25:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I worked in a correctional facility  several years back.
The first day on the job, I viewed a fellow that stuck out in my head. He had scars on top of scars from the tip of his head to his toes.

I asked the senior training officer what the scars were all about. He told me that If I stuck around long Enough, I would eventually find out.

This Inmate was locked down in Isolation and had orders posting that he could have nothing sharp in his cell.

About 2 weeks later, I came on to shift when the first thing I saw was several guards pull this man out of his cell. He somehow had gotten a hold of a razor balde, and simply "Sliced And Diced" himself up pretty good. He had flesh peeled back everywhere and there was more blood on the floor than in a slaughter house.

I had dreams about this one for a while.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
When I was going to school I owned and drove a taxi in new jersey,I bounced on the wekends at a go-go bar,it's a toss up where I saw the most severe injuries.
I would have to say it was a head on collision where both cars were doing over 50.
The blood and tissue was everywhere.
I was one of the first people there and I was trying to help the best I could with no med supplies.
The women passemger in car # 1 was bleeding so bad from facial injury from impact with the windshield that she almost had no face ,her boyfriend was the driver and as he was coimng to I wrapped him in a blanket that someoine handed me and told him not to move his head for fear he would damage his nck more then it was,(I also didn't want him to see his GF's face,or lack there of)
She was starting to skake really bad and I believe she was going into shock ,I got another blanket and wrapped her up too and then the EMT's arrived and took over (thank God).

The thing that stands out for me is the facial injuries friom not wearing the seatbelt,I did start wearing mine after that all the time and anyone who gets into my vech. puts theirs on or we don't move ,PERIOD!  

I have a hunded more of these from car wrecks to shootings outside the bar I bounced at,not to mention the stabbings.
The world is a violent place for us beings made up of flesh and bone and blood.
We are lucky to just make it home some days I guess.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Back in West Germany in '82, I saw a German national take a round to the forehead during a scuffle.  Not as much blood as one would expect.

In '80 or '81, also in FRG, had German Polizi clear anti nuke demonstrators from my M880, just as we were starting to think we'd have to open up and have our weapons taken away by the crowd.  Blood & goo all over the windshield and some sorry looking protestors.  Not that we spent to much time looking when we sped out of there!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
i was a volunteer firefighter for a few years as well

the skin on a burned body most closely resembles the skin on BBQ'd chicken

somehow i was always stuck "holding" the broken femurs of the wreck victims that had them, a 300lbs man screaming like that you always remember

its funny how the instant kills look so peaceful, not really any blood, no bruises, nothing, just very pale

seatbelts can help, seatbelts can also hurt, when its your time, it is your time

my uncle was a BIG drinker anyway, got in a fight with his wife, rolled his truck somewhere around 120mph, lived, but hung upside down in his seatbelt and choked on his own blood.  one of our bobtail drivers also swerved to miss a car and hit a culvert, the steering column on a chevy c70 does not give, it went through the back of the cab and bent itself on the propane tank, he lived only because he did not have a belt on and flew into a plowed field, unscathed.  i have also seen seatbelts either save or could have saved.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm investigator of record in 77 fatality collisions, who knows how many serious injury.  
Seen a LOT of bodies and pieces of bodies.

That's not even counting the many interesting ways people do themselves in OUT of cars.  You should have some of my nightmares sometimes.

One I watched from beginning to end was just a little more than a year ago in Round Rock,  Natez's hometown.

Off duty getting gas, Watched a sedan come off the southbound access ramp and slam into the rear of a parked semi in the right hand lane. I really doubt the driver ever saw it,  he was probably looking over his shoulder for merging traffic.  He essentially didn't stop until he crunched up against the rear axle.

So much damage I couldn't tell if the driver was male or female,  (I voted female because of the strong smell of perfume in the car.  I was wrong)  All you could see was a bit of the jawline and a little area of the throat,  managed to snake a hand in and feel a strong pulse,  then felt it go away. Talked to him the whole time.

Responded to a woman who had shot herself with a 357 mag Ruger GP100 directly thru both breasts,  a botched suicide attempt.  Bullet pretty much followed the ribs, and since it was contact, the muzzle blast did it's bit as well.  Fatty tissue and blood everywhere.  She walked up to us, naked to the waist when we arrived. There was blood on everything from floor to ceiling, even blood and tissue blowback down the barrel of the gun.

I have 20 years of these kind of stories,  I think I'll stop now.    
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:47:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked in a funeral home for a year.   The job required me to make pickups at the medical examiner's office, and deliveries to our facility, the crematorium, and of course the various cemeteries.

I've seen some pretty serious stuff at the ME's office.  Autopsies in progress, and people who looked like they'd already been autopsied, but came in like that from the accidents they'd been in.

I saw two man sized trays with bones laid out in them.  The bones were all that was left of the dead hooker who had been murdered and stuffed into a trash can and not discovered for six months.   The workers at the ME's office had to cut the metal trash can open to scrape her out, and as the flesh was decomposed beyond any possible chance of its being useful in the investigation,  they boiled the flesh off the bones and laid the bones out on pallets.

It was the strangest smell I've ever encountered.  It wasn't a bad smell, it wasn't a good smell, it was an ALIEN smell.  It was like smelling a color or something weird like that.   Just thinking of it, I can vividly recall the smell right now.  I'll never forget it.

As a result of that job I discovered, much to my surprise, that I am not at all the type to get sick when confronted with a gross sight.  I've seen it about as bad as it gets, and never felt at all queasy.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
one word...Murrah
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
One night when I was 17 I pulled up to an accident scene where a pickup truck had flipped and the passenger's head had gone through the sunroof as the truck rolled. He was laying in the road and his head was flat, maybe an inch thick, and his brains were sitting about 5 feet from him with a skid mark where they slid out of his head. I almost puked. Well that Friday night pretty much ended right there for me.

Another one that stands out is the double murder/ suicide that happened across the street from where I used to live. The grown son of the family lived at home with his parents and had some mental problems. He started hearing voices telling him to kill his family and was taken to the hospital to be admitted into the psyciatric ward. The doctors decided to release him saying that he was ok.

The next morning at 6:00 am I awake to find Deputy Sheriff's standing outside my door with weapons drawn. I look out the window and see the mother of the mental patient laying in their front yard with a hole the size of a grapefruit in the side of her head and another figure laying on it's stomach.

What happened was the guy had stabbed his dad in the basement and when the mother, followed by her daughter, came to see what was happening he shot his mother with a shotgun in the back as she ran up the steps. She made it out the front door and he shot her again at the distance of ten feet. He then placed the shotgun under his chin and BOOM.

There was blood and brain matter all splattered up the front of the house. When the cops turned him over, I saw that he had no face from his ears forward. His sister who was running in front of her mom was uninjured. I swear, the most awful thing was when she realized that her whole family was dead. Her screams of agony haunt me today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a couple, and they aren't experiences from band camp.  

They also aren't all of them, but they're the ones that come immediately to mind as I've had a few beers.  

I was an air traffic controller for my first enlistment, and then intel for the rest of my twenty in the USMC.  This is in a rough timeline from 1974 to present.

Pohakaloa Training Area, Hawaii (PTA for you Army types)
-AH-1 slams into hillside due to high winds. Pilot dies of cardiac arrest and gunner severely burned.

Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii
- CH-46d loses front rotor and crashes on the 101 pad.  All die.

MCAS Tustin, CA
-CH 46e and CH-53d collide in mid air in the pattern.  All die except the crew chief of the CH-53.

South Korea circa 1983
- I watch a North Korean SOF team get wiped out near Ulsan Nuclear powerplant as they try to exfil South Korea.  I was on a ship and not involved, but I could see it.

Above the Arctic Circle near Norway
- CH 46e overloaded with guys from Charlie 1/6 depart the USS Saipan.  Bird has problems and slams down on the deck directly above my head.  Bounces off flight deck and into frigid water.  We can see survivors, but they are dying from the intensely cold water, and we can't get to them in time.  I don't recall how many died, but I want to say around twelve.  The movie "Titanic" gives me the creeps when it shows the human popsicles in the water after the collision, and I later see similarities with our tragedy.

I encounter a head on collision on NC Highway 19 coming from the Camp Lejeune rifle range as I travel north towards Jacksonville at about 0200.  I see two cars upside down.  Three old ladies are in one and as gray as they can be (their flesh, not their hair.  They had just had a head on with a drunk driver who was a civilian insurance adjuster.  I don't know if they made it, as there was never anything in the press.  If it was a jarhead, there sure as hell would've been a front page story about it.

While in Okinawa, a guy from 2/3 puts a round from an M-60 through the chest of the armorer when turning in the weapon.  I did not see this, but I was in the 1/6 advance party replacing 2/3, and I had to endure the same shit/after-effects their staff was dealing with from the Bn commander for such a fuck-up.

I was doing an operation with either 5th or 7th SFG (don't remember) and they Halo'd into a high tension wire near Yuma Proving Ground (YPG) at a place you Army guys may know as prep for Desert One.  He was lifeflighted to Phoenix but died of cardiac arrest.

Although I didn't see this, I was part of the investigation into the death of a USC in Redford TX.  Look it up.  It's way too long to go into.

The other stuff I can't get into, but it sucks way worse than this and you would probably be pissed if you knew.

Jim

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Some of these descriptions are so graphic, I don't know if I'll sleep tonight. Christ, some even brought tears to my eyes. I think I'll go curl up in a corner now.

Navy ROTC Guy
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top