Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 3:35:56 PM EDT
They showed a FA AK and said it was banned?

That stupid sherriff in FL doesnt know the difference between NFA & AWB?

Whata moron!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
CNN = Clinton News Network

Watch Fox News.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
WOW! That was the biggest load of bullshit ever.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The C stands for clueless!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
CRAP!!!!!!!!

LOAD OF SHIT!!!!  

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EVEN SAY. [:(!]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone that saw it needs to send an email stating clearly and calmly EXACTLY what was wrong with the piece.  Keep the ranting to a minimum.

Make sure you quote sources for the law and any BATFE regs involved.  Don't come across as a foaming-at-the-mouth gun-nut spouting opinion only.

Don't let them spread lies unchallanged as The Truth.

[i]edited to add[/i]

Don't forget to ask for an on-air retraction/correction.  If they don't then it doesn't matter how many people write to bitch, the public at large will only remember the bullshit that was spread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That was quite seriously the most biased, inaccurate piece of reporting I have ever seen.

They had a full auto AK, and a Saiga AK (looked like a Hesse gun converted to take hicaps and with a muzzle comp).  

They fired the full auto, at least 15-20 rounds into a small stack of concrete blocks.  Obviously it shredded them.  They then proceeded to fire around 4 shoots with the Saiga, and surveyed the damage going on and on about how much more deadly the full auto obviously was, the post gun was somehow docile (at least they didn't demonize it too bad as well).

They also fired the full auto AK at a dummy with a "bulletproof vest" on it.  A Level I or II from the looks, very puny vest.  They talked about how powerful this weapon was that it could penetrate the flimsy vest.  Didn't bother to fire the postban AK at it as obviously it is somehow less deadly...

All the while the Sheriff was spouting liberal BS about assault weapons, no sporting purpose, they're not after other longguns, etc.

The CNN anchor then had the gall to ask the anti-gunner sheriff what he "thought" the other side of the argument was from pro-gun people.  WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?  He took the opportunity to say he had no idea but the guns were deadly, etc, etc more crap.

The had zero statements from anyone pro-gun about what the "report" was showing.  That was soooo one sided it was ridiculous.

Straight up misleading report, completely anti-gun.  I talk about anti-gun crap on TV, but that takes the cake.  That was either the most ignorant reporting on the issue ever or it was deliberately misleading to fool people.  Frankly I think it was a deliberate attempt to confuse and mislead people...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Any link to the story?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe they will reair it tonight at around 1am here in FL. That sheriff is a real peace of shit, figures since he's from a democrap strong hold in this state.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
here's mine, had to tunnel for a link for contact, couldn't find one for Zarrella directly (the on-scene reporter), so -

[i]Letter to CNN re AWB piece

For John Zarrella & the editor's associated with the May15,2003 Broward County Sheriff 'Gun Battle' Segment.

Your segment at the Sheriff's Range was rife with factual errors and gross omissions.

The Sheriff put on a nice impressive Dog & Pony Show, but blatantly lied by presenting FULLY-AUTOMATIC weapons as having anything to do with the AWB.
The National Firearms Act of 1934 greatly restricted the general public’s access to such weapons. The AWB added additional models and variants, but the ’34 NFA is the core legislation that restricts and defines access to FULL-AUTO weapons. A US Citizen can legally obtain them now, at exorbitant cost, background search, and under the Class 3 restrictions of the BATF (and a $200 tax). In the near-70 years since the ’34 NFA, only 1 legally registered ad owned FULL-AUTO weapon has been used in a crime. And THAT was by a Police Officer.

The bullet-‘proof’ vest demo was also a blatant falsehood – those vests are designed for protection against ROUND (blunt) –nosed handgun ammunition. They are incapable of stopping ANY Spire (Pointy) –tipped RIFLE ammunition. Regardless of the type of rifle that fires it.

As for the ‘impressiveness’ of the cinder-block demolition – ANY firearm, pistol or rifle or shotgun, can do the same. For that matter, with the use of 00-buck or even solid slug ammunition, even the touted ‘Good’ Shotgun the sheriff held up would devastate those blocks.

Congratulations to you all for delivering (deliberately?) uninformed information to the Public as ‘Fact’.
Congratulations to you all for continuing to support the Anti-Gun position with more lies and exaggerations.

How about getting educated on the subject you choose to ‘report’ on?
What is CNN’s corporate position on civilian firearms ownership? Your Editors? You, Mr. Zarrella?

In the interest of ‘full disclosure’ – I’m NOT a member of the NRA. I DO believe in sensible gun control measures such as background checks and the limitations put forth in the National Firearms Act of 1934 and the Gun Control Act of 1968 regarding criminal records, mental defects, etc.
But the AWB is ludicrous on it’s face – its selection of measures based solely on Emotionalism and demonizing of black plastic, and while illogically ignoring the ballistics / ammunition, OR the actual (already) criminal misuse created a useless piece of legislation.

I look forward to any response, or questions, and would welcome the opportunity to add to your knowledge and understanding or firearms technology and technical issues
[/i]

And before anyone tries to bust my ass about NOT being a member of the NRA - I was for several years, but let my membership lapse for their ham-fisted mulish 'No, no, no, no, no' stances, which let the Antis so effectively paint them as a 'whacko' Org.
Not sure what the 'proper' method would have been, but I don't think that was it.
I make my Pro efforts either directly, or through other Orgs, now.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Send that letter but it probably wont do any good. These people are just plain stupid.

About the NRA, I totally agree they need to have a more effective stance than NO. They need to get out there and convince the people that they arent a bunch crazy survivalists.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:16:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Send that letter but it probably wont do any good. These people are just plain stupid.

About the NRA, I totally agree they need to have a more effective stance than NO. They need to get out there and convince the people that they arent a bunch crazy survivalists.
View Quote

.......and what's wrong with "crazy survivalists?"

Hessian-1 out!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Why in the world are y'all watching the Clinton/Commie News Network?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why in the world are y'all watching the Clinton/Commie News Network?
View Quote

Its for the entertainment value.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:00:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

They aren't stupid.  They are very deliberate.
These weren't vague mistakes.  They knowingly lie to further their agenda.  Never underestimate your enemy.
View Quote

You got that right!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Better idea: Don't waste your time writing to CNN. Write to the ATF.

Tell them about a sheriff's dept's gross misconduct, gross negligence, and gross ignorance regarding firearms laws.

Have them inquire about WHERE the FA AK came from! Chances are, it was "confiscated" from some crime scene. PD's don't buy FA AK's. They MIGHT have an M-16...

What we have here is a bunch of Barney Fife's looking for a reason to break out the ole AK.

"ATF arrests Sheriff because of weapons violation on CNN"

There is your headline!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
they did a comparison between a pre and post ban AK. they fired a pre ban norinco AK at blocks and a little vest as mentioned above. the post ban AK (unsure of variant) was then fired. the sheriff said something to the effect of how less firepower it had because the 10 rounds instead of 30. the problem with this was they were fireing it from a [b]30 ROUND MAG[b] with only 10 rounds in it. when the gun was fired the camera focused on the stack of cinderblocks, as the deputy fired it somewhere else. it was really gay.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Better idea: Don't waste your time writing to CNN. Write to the ATF.

Tell them about a sheriff's dept's gross misconduct, gross negligence, and gross ignorance regarding firearms laws.

Have them inquire about WHERE the FA AK came from! Chances are, it was "confiscated" from some crime scene. PD's don't buy FA AK's. They MIGHT have an M-16...

What we have here is a bunch of Barney Fife's looking for a reason to break out the ole AK.

"ATF arrests Sheriff because of weapons violation on CNN"

There is your headline!
View Quote

PDs are exempt from the 86 ban, they can press into service any confiscated FA weapon if they register it on a 'form 10', IIRC...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#19]
It cant hurt to try...
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I kinds thought he missed the cinderblocks also when he was shooting the bogus 10 round magazine. I told me wife that that make out how powerful that rifle is. Maybe they should of said well most hunt rifles could do this too.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:20:09 PM EDT
[#21]
The transcript of the CNN segment is [url=http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0305/15/se.13.html]here.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#22]
[size=4][blue]Reading that transcript makes me sick!!!  [u]FUCK[/u] CNN!!![/blue][/size=4][50]

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#23]
This interview was a political brain washing scheme set-up by the sheriff and CNN.We need to write the mayor of the city and send emails to
CNN for one sided reporting.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe they would actually give air time to that trash!!!  And to think, I actually used to watch them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 11:54:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Well there's the strategy. Same as prior to '94 ban. Expect to see a lot of this emotionalism and reaction pressed into the 'daily' news by CNN and the likes of more Sheriff Jennes' out there. It's going to be a very long 16 months ahead.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:20:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone on this board work for CNN?  Would you consider providing an email address for John Zarella?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Also if anyone wants to add this to their letter to CNN if the AWB expires , imported guns will not be effected (like a norinco AK).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top