Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2003 1:38:57 PM EDT
I'm having a problem with a peculiar pop-up now...I have tried the pop-up killer/remover program and these pop-ups still..pop-up.

They are dating/weight loss/make money/tiddies pop-ups that will occur on any random favorite sites I have. I can let the ARfcom or whatever site sit for a while and one of these pop-ups will appear. Some of the adverts are tiddy sites [b](which I do NOT visit!)[/b] that pop and it pisses me off to no end.

I have looked through programs and and other internal drivespaces for anything out of the ordinary...can't find out how they are getting into my computer. I need some help! This is driving me crazy...it's like chasing my tail. If I let the computer sit on a website, ANY website, they will just appear...no website in particular sets them off....I just want to know how to hunt down the culprit.

Thank you for your help....
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
try downloading and installing ad-aware by lavasoft.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
to expand on the above post.

sometimes a program includes spyware or adware and it secretly installs and runs parallel yet independantly of your browser watching your movements, or throwing ads up.

ad-aware is the answer run it and watch how much spy or ad crap has been installed on your computer without you knowing.
[url]www.lavasoft.de[/url]

i run it every few weeks...every time besure and tell it to get the latest update.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys...the problem is, I already have Ad-aware and have done the deep scan 2 or three times...but this pop-up still pops up. Like I said, I'm just not sure where the "embedded" pop-site is...it is annoying as hell too.

Not sure where to go now....
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Something else to try would be zonealarm and see what else is talking out on the internet. You might be able to block it. I have also seen ad crap in my registry after running ad-aware. Maybe one of the gurus could analyze your registry?
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks guys...the problem is, I already have Ad-aware and have done the deep scan 2 or three times...but this pop-up still pops up. Like I said, I'm just not sure where the "embedded" pop-site is...it is annoying as hell too.

Not sure where to go now....
View Quote

Make sure you have the latest AdAware version (I think it's v.6) and that the AdAware definitions are up to date. V6 lets you download updates similar to Norton.

-hanko
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Try [url=http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp]Spybot - Search and Destroy[/url].  It works like Ad-aware, but better.  I've run Ad-aware 6 on my computer, but Spybot found things that were still there.  Plus it's free!!

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:57:57 PM EDT
[#8]
What OS are you running?

Is this only happening when you have IE running?  Do you have another browser like netscape to try?  Fisrt thing I would try is the objects in IE.  

Goto TOOLS>>INTERNET OPTIONS>>SETTINGS>>VIEW OBJECTS

You can right click on these objects and see who they are from.  If you don't know who they are from, delete them.  Some common ones that you don't have to delete are Java/sun microsystems, Shockwave flash/macromedia, and update class/microsoft.

If this doesn't work, send a list of running tasks and/or services depending on your version of windows.  If you need help, just post what version you are running.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 3:56:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Try another free-ware pop-up program just in case for some reason ad-aware isnt picking it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top