Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2001 2:16:07 AM EDT
Went to the range Friday to shoot my M1A for the 1st time that I've had for a year.It's a preban standard S.A.with all TRW components.I shot 30 rds through it and twice I had it double tap on me.At first you think,Hey this is cool,but it's not really.I sure got a couple of looks when it did it.Thank God the range was about deserted.

Anyway,I've always been a AR guy so I'me kinda new to M1A's.Am I doing something wrong to cause this like being to light or heavy on the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:39:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you shooting fac or reloads? If reloads do you a a gauge? If not you should get one it is the best way to tell you have your dies set out right. That was my promlem when I got my match
M1. Also you need to follow through on your trigger pull if you "milk" it you could be bumping it on recoil of first shot. Take a look at your trigger group to see if anyone has played with the sear/hammer trying to do a trigger job if you see anything that has been stoned you may want to replace them
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 2:50:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I am using Factory ammo.I think my problem is that I am milking it on the trigger pull.It's got a very light,clean break on the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 5:25:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a bump to me.
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 9:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have a NM trigger, you are probably not following through properly and are bumping the trigger during recoil- that's a very common problem.  Focus on riding the trigger through the recoil.  If it's still double-tapping, have a 'smith look at your trigger group.  Quite a few Springfield M1A's have cast trigger groups that are quite a bit softer than GI parts, and your engagement surfaces can wear very quickly.  I had a NM M1A that this happened to.  It got down to about 1/4 of what the engagement surfaces should have been, and the trigger pull dropped to about 2 lbs or less.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/28/2001 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#6]
This sounds like your bumping the trigger after it bounces.Try shooting it offhand if it stops you know what the problem is.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 5:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Yep, sounds like bumping to me too.  It happens most from sitting position because your body whips more and you tend to hold loose.

A lot can depend on how old your M1A is.  If you've got one made with surplus parts it might be fine depending on how used the parts are.  If you've got cast commercial parts it's hard to tell what you'll see.  I've talked to the Springfield owners and they want to build a good rifle but the M14 was designed for expensive machining.  It's hard to change them to castings without having trouble sometimes.  Their cast bolts were recalled because they broke.

By the way, if you have an M1A with a bolt with RRR behing the part number I think they're still giving new bolts for safety.  Call them.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the responses.I am bouncing the trigger.I just never had it happen to me on any of my other 308 assault rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top