Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 8:30:18 PM EDT
My husband and I wet to Jensens Arms today. While there a man appearing to be in his mid to late 20's started asking questions I wasn't quite paying attention until he racked the slide and it locked back he was like " oh my gosh what have I done?"  Then he started talking about how he needed to get a gun for the police acadamy. I hope they have extensive firearms training there.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't believe people today.

But sometimes it makes me happy. People see me, just some kid, walk into the gun store, and I can field-strip every automatic in there, and they couldn't even turn the safety off.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm confused. He locked the slide back on a pistol.... and the problem is?

Did he do it by accident and didn't even know what he'd done? That would be a bit stupid.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]
He thought he broke it and was a little in shock.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 8:52:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
He thought he broke it and was a little in shock.
View Quote

Oh, then yes, he's a dipshit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
wifeofschapman43: Not too confidence inspiring for sure, but I'm sure the police academy will teach him proper gun handling techniques. We all are newbies at gun handling in the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont get how this was a "scare". A scare to me would be some fool walking through the door withOUT the action open or the slide locked back. If he didnt know what he was doing when he locked the slide back hes a dumbass but I wouldnt consider it scary.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:42:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Lol I have done some thing similar but did break the gun screwing around, gunsmith bill was $160.

Yeah it was pretty stupid but the slide had broke so I couldn't just release it.

I don't know how it happened and cant tell you that is why I had to take it to the gun smith, It was a Glock.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#8]
No big deal.

No one is born with that knowledge!!  That and most other firearms handling skills have to be learned.

I’ve trained new shooters who thought the entire cartridge (bullet and casing) went out the muzzle when the weapon was fired.  I’ve trained shooters who thought seating a magazine in a pistol somehow automatically put a round in the chamber.

I’ve trained new shooters who thought taking the magazine out of a pistol resulted in it being totally unloaded!!

Etc., etc.

Simply explaining what’s going on [b]almost[/b] always solves the problem.

We all have to learn sometime.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry I missed the scare also.
Was it because the kid didn't know about firearms?
Was it because he didn't know and had one in his hands?
Trying to join the police academy?
I have no idea were the academy he is joining is, but generally you do not carry your personal weapon.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:44:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I think that I do stupid stuff like that in the local gun store frequently. I have a pretty good habbit of dropping the magazine, locking the slide back, checking the chamber, and then releasing the slide when I want to dry fire a gun. At Cheaper Than Dirt, they hand the guns to you with the slide already locked back. I check the chamber, see it's clear, and then attempt to release the slide. No go. Sit there for a second, try it again, realize the empty magazine is still in the gun. DOH!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:51:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No big deal.

No one is born with that knowledge!!  That and most other firearms handling skills have to be learned.

I’ve trained new shooters who thought the entire cartridge (bullet and casing) went out the muzzle when the weapon was fired.  I’ve trained shooters who thought seating a magazine in a pistol somehow automatically put a round in the chamber.

I’ve trained new shooters who thought taking the magazine out of a pistol resulted in it being totally unloaded!!

Etc., etc.

Simply explaining what’s going on [b]almost[/b] always solves the problem.

We all have to learn sometime.
View Quote

I used to think that when a pistol had the slide locked back it was "cocked" and when you pulled the trigger the slide slammed shut, thus firing the cartridge and then went back to being locked back. Sorta freaked me out when my friend decided he was going to slam the slide shut on a cartridge while standing in my house! [shock] I felt so educated after he explained that the firing pin acctually had to go forward, and not just the slide. [;)] Scary part of this story is that this took place not all that long ago, probably less than a year or two.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
why's he stupid?  Some people have never helf a weapon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#13]
It's up to us educated people to teach newbies about firearms and safety associated with them. Let's give the sport a positive face becuase without that, the antis have more against us!
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 12:20:22 AM EDT
[#14]
I thought you were going to say.....

a big guy in dark glasses and a leather coat walked in the store and started asking of everything under the sun.  "I'll take the .45 long slide, Uzi 9mm, Remington shotgun, Pulse Rifle with 40 watt range finder."  And the guy behind the counter was like "hey buddy, only what you see."  so the big guy in dark glasses gets pissed and started loading the Remington and blows the sales clerk away.  So, in turn, you and your hubby start plugging away at the Big guy to no avail as he walks out of the store. [img]http://members.aol.com/wormpix/arnoldgun.jpg[/img]

Now [b]that would be a scare[/b]![BD]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:06:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey I do dumb shit in gunstores all the time..

Worst one got me a shiny new taurus millinium I didn't even want.  Decieded I need to field strip the POS, why I don't know, as I said I didn't want it, but it was new, and my buddy owned the store so what the hell.  Long story short I walked out of the store with a Credit Card reciept in my wallet and a box of gun parts.  Had to send it back to Taurus to put back together.  Sold it as soon as I got it back at a huge loss.  I still kick myself for that one.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw that guy yesterday in my local gunshop!  He was looking for Sarah Connor.  Nobody knew a Sarah Connor, so he left.
Should we have shot him?
View Quote

Shoot if you wish, but I think I would get my stuff and leave peacefully. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Many people who join the armed forces have never handled a fire arm until they are in recruit training. Many people who become Police Officers handle a firearm for the first time in the Police Academy. They are raw and know nothing about firearms but they are easy to train and start out with good habits. Thankfully, most Police Officers are attracted to the job by the job, not the gun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:09:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"... Pulse Rifle with 40 watt range finder
View Quote

Yes, it WOULD be a scare. But I believe the proper quote is more along the lines of, "Phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range."
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:07:09 AM EDT
[#20]
And I believe it was a Franchi SPAS 12 not a Remington.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:11:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#22]
That story was so scary that I barfed up all over my computer and then I crapped my pants.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I dont get how this was a "scare". A scare to me would be some fool walking through the door withOUT the action open or the slide locked back. If he didnt know what he was doing when he locked the slide back hes a dumbass but I wouldnt consider it scary.
View Quote

Dude, the gal lives in WY. Its probably the coolest thing that happened since last year when a Native american got drunk.

Wonder how it feels to be wife #43
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
wifeofschapman43: Not too confidence inspiring for sure, but I'm sure the police academy will teach him proper gun handling techniques. We all are newbies at gun handling in the beginning.
View Quote

LOL, Not the police academies around here....

I was working at Jensen's part time, and I know of what she talks about. This kind of stuff happens all the time, that is why I always make sure the gun is unloaded before handing it to the customer.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry I missed the scare also.
Was it because the kid didn't know about firearms?
Was it because he didn't know and had one in his hands?
Trying to join the police academy?
I have no idea were the academy he is joining is, but generally you do not carry your personal weapon.
View Quote

The scare would be that this individual will soon be carrying a firearm in public.  I dont know, I guess I've always thought that police officers had prior experience with firearms.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I believe that's why marksmanship and firearms training should be taught in school.  They teach kids how to put on a condum in school, firearms training would be a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:08:24 PM EDT
[#27]
When I was 9 or 10 or so - not older - Mom would take us all to JC Penneys and I would run off to the gun department while Mom would look at dumb stuff like clothes.

I was able to handle Uzis and other rifles to my hearts content, and I was able to name parts and design features to the astonished clerk.  Hell, I didn't know what I was looking at, but I knew what names were associated with what rifle.

Am I dating myself here?

I remember this came to a fast stop one day.  I opened up an action with permission, and a spring loaded assembly sailed over my shoulder and over the row of shelves.  The clerk scrambled for the parts and muttered HE had never broken a 600 dollar rifle before.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I dunno, where I come from it's considered good form to open the action on any weapon before handing it to some one.  AND if it's not yours get permission before closing the action.  AND open it again before handing back.

I once (while in High School) had to show a clerk and the customer how to close the action on an M1 Garand.  the clerk was an AH but I didn't succumb to the temptation to show him just enough to let get an M1 thumb the next time.  One of the few things I always regretted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top