Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2001 12:36:39 PM EDT
wanna clue me in on some hot spots. I will be traveling there for an interview in a couple of weeks and staying for the weekend to check things out.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Present and accounted for!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:49:46 PM EDT
[#2]
So where does a strapping single young buck go to have fun on a weekend there in the big D? Is Ricks Cafe still open
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Harry Hines Boulevard... just trust me on this one!

( . ) ( . )
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Harry Hines Boulevard... just trust me on this one!

( . ) ( . )
View Quote

Why do I have the feeling I should carry a lot of cash [sex]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I think what you are looking for is in the vicinity of interstate 35E and Northwest HWY. have not visited those establishments since my pre-married days!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]
"Baby Dolls" is the club to be exact.

DonR took me there immediately after picking me up at the airport, on my first trip to Dallas... EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitly major cash flow!! plenty of one's and twenty's!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Baby Dolls is definitly user friendly!!!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Baby Dolls. Thank you.

Looks like this CA kid might be getting parolled outta here. I am so excited its not even funny.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:02:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Try the West End bunch of shops, restaurants, and night clubs, on Elm and Griffin downtown Dallas.

While you are there, visit the Sixth Floor Museum, which house memorabilia from the Kennedy Assassination.  This the former Dallas Book Depository that Oswald shot Kennedy.  They have some real interesting exhibit there. See if you can shoot 3 shots in rapid succession.  See for yourself the distance that Oswald had to cover, and checkout the grassy knoll.  Have fun, and report back when you get back.
http://www.jfk.org/home.htm
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Lordtrader, lots of good places friendly to the AR15! also numerous gun shows throuout the year. good luck!
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:08:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I lived in Houston for a few years, every gun lovin, woman huggin', beer drinkin' young man should spend time in the Republic of Texas.
[<]:)]

Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:11:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey LT.

Hope you make it out here. Dallas used to be a good place to live when I was a kid. Now it's just another big city. We are VERY gun friendly here though.

Um. You may NOT want to take a lot of cash down on Harry Hines...trust ME on that one.  [kill]

SeanTX
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Vampyre:  West "By God" Virginia aint to shabby either...  I'll be headed back that way ([i]Albright, WV[/i])  over Easter weekend for the annual "BOCC" ([i]Burned Out Canoe Club[/i]) reunion.

Drinken and boatin and boatin and drinkin.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I am setting up the interview either MOn the 12th or the following Mon. I will fly in on Sat prior, and use the extra time to check out the area, possible places to live, party spots since I'm single. If I get this job, which is 90% in the bag, I will have to take a pay cut. Since TX doesn't have state tax and cost of living is 1/3 less, I was thinking 40% paycut. However considering what I metioned I have recalculated only a 25% pay cut. If they give me an offer I am gone baby!!!!! Paroled from Kali.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#16]
If you stay at the Meridian, let me know and I'll take you to lunch at Treebeards.  My office in in Plaza of the Americas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, don't take to much cash with you.[;)] Plenty of .223 maybe but not a wad of cash. We will welcome you, my brother to the Great state of Texas! Viva la Texas!! I live about 3 hours SE of Dallas. I hope you have a good trip,interview etc.
Lynn  
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 2:33:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Texas is a class 3 and shall issue CCW.  Overall the people  are a lot friendlier than in So. calif.  I spent a lot of time at the Galleria at the Tollway and 635.  Just watch out for the "black ice" under the shawdows.  My buddy slide all the way down to the bottom of the off-ramp last year.  It scarced the $hit of out him.  You can say goodbye to the grid lock at the El Toro Y.

Real estate is a bunch cheaper that Orange County.  There is  some real nice digs in North Dallas.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#19]
anti,
 This just proves why I was driving that night instead of you. Baby Dolls is on Northwest Hiway, not Harry Hines.[:D]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#20]
So I was off a block or two, wouldn't be the first time, and damn sure won't be the last!

Hell Don, maybe you could invite LORDTRADER to dinner.  That would be a great way for an esteemed ADMIN to get to know another member passing through the area wouldn't it..? [;)]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I learned my lesson about doing that anti.  Remember, that's how I met you?? That's been haunting me ever since.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#22]
[-!-] [B]B A S T A R D[/B] [-!-]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Well I finalized the interview. I will be in Dallas on the 16th Friday for the interview and leaving that Sun the 18th. I will be staying at the DoubleTree hotel on N. Central Expressway. So if anyone wants to take me around Sat. and show me around that would be awesome. If the interview goes well I was really thinking about checking out Plano for possible places to live. Was there 3yrs ago and I really liked it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I learned my lesson about doing that anti.  Remember, that's how I met you?? That's been haunting me ever since.
View Quote

Now that's funny [>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#25]
View Quote

I thought the gator had him for lunch![:D]
Link Posted: 2/2/2001 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Once you've had enough (.)(.) (is that possible? whatever), take her to see a blues band. DFW (that's Dallas-Ft.Worth) and Texas in general has some killer players like Smokin' Joe Kubeck, Mike Morgan and the Crawl, Anson Funderburgh. Get some BBQ. If you've got big bucks, eat at The Mansion on Turtle Creek. I'll leave the BBQ recommendation to a real DFW Texan, I'm just a Georgia boy who's been all over Texas and liked most of it! [BD]
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 11:33:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Check out Dallas' major daily newspaper the Dallas Morning New's web site at
http://www.dallasnews.com/
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#28]
I may have been going 2 steps further than I need to go, since I don't have the job offer yet but. I checked out some apartments in the area and...[size=3][red]OH MY GOODNESS[/red][/size=3] did you Kali guys know that for half the price I'm paying for my condo I can have 2x the amount of space I have now!!!! I am paying $1200 for a 2bdrm, 2ba, attached garaged condo. To get the same in Dallas I will only be paying $600-800. Did I mention no state tax. I am really excited. I hope I get this job. The pay cut would hardly be noticeable.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#29]
2 Words - The Lodge.

West Northwest Hwy.  Losta dead animals on the walls and lively ladies on the floor (and sometimes on the walls).  [beer]

'Course, the beer's cheaper up in Tulsa.
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:05:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey Lordtrader, Plano is cool but watch for the soccer moms, very deadly driving those SUV'S while talking on the cell phone. Also, there happens to be a shooting range on NW. HWY not far from the T-bars!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey Lordtrader, Plano is cool but watch for the soccer moms, very deadly driving those SUV'S while talking on the cell phone. Also, there happens to be a shooting range on NW. HWY not far from the T-bars!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 5:50:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Soccer moms be damned!! HA! Plano is great - good, honest, no b.s. police force - three gun shops (not to mention sporting goods places) a nice indoor public range, ect, ect.  If you move into the area, come visit Lone Star Guns in east Plano.  The very best customer service, awesome gunsmithing, hardcore pro-RKBA, and a 20 yd pistol range in the shop for testing.  

Tate
Link Posted: 2/3/2001 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#33]
I agree with BullDawg! Check out Dave and Busters at Walnut Hill and Composite. (better known as restaurant row) Check out Red Hot and Blue or Bone Daddies in Richardson for some outstanding BBQ. Do the West End if possible too. You might also want to check out Deep Ellum just east of downtown if you like the Gen-X stuff. I also second checking out the Dallas Morning News if you get in on a Friday. The Weekend Guide will give you a rundown on everything happening in town that weekend. If you do go o the Mansion on Turtle Creek take $$$$$$$$$$! Your gonna miss a fair gun show at Big Town in Mesquite the 11& 12 but there may be a little one in Richardson the weekend your in. The Guide will have a listing or the Morning News sports section will list any shows when your here. Welcome to Texas and enjoy your stay.

PS. If you do move here make a post and we'll let you know what you need to do to become a "real Texan"  :D
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Gopher - If you meant that Mesquite's the 10th & 11th, let's try to hook up down there so's I can show you that gunleather.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 8:53:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Yep - Just checked.  It's the 10th & 11th.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#36]
If I can make it it will be on Sunday. I have a Daddy/Daughter Girl Scout function I have to attend Saturday. If I can make it I'll e-mail you later. That usually is a pretty good show. If you havent been to the show at the Rodeo arena a word of advice dont waste your time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Uh..Bulldawg, that's not the type of leather you usually want to show people![:D]
Link Posted: 2/4/2001 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#38]
C'mon, Don...  I thought we agreed to keep the whips and straps just between you & me! [spank]  
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 7:13:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Lordtrader: You have just discovered what other individuals and companies have discovered.  And one of the big reasons for  fleeing South. Calif. area.  The cost of living is a whole lot less.  But the summers are REALLY HOT and HUMID, nothing like the mild temps in the summer and winter in Orange County, Calif. with the ocean influence.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Yo, LT...

Late to get into this thread, but some of us won't be available intown that weekend 'cause we'll be an hour west of there shooting .50's and AR's at TacPro.  Maybe you'd like to join us?

If you happen to visit the Lodge, know the lady owner and her protection train with some of us locally.  You could ask about the Ron Jeremy brand cigars...

Hope to meet you while you're here.

Arock out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2001 9:12:00 AM EDT
[#41]
LT-

envy you my friend.  lived in dfw for 16 yrs. before moving to nazi jersey (albeit south jersey--should be a separate state as we are south of the mason dixon line!).

i did meet my wife there-WOO HOO!-and my kids are all proud texans.

it's been 12 yrs. since i left so really can't help you with what's happening today.

best of luck on your interview and potential move.

i guarantee it will be the best move of your life.

earlybirdnj

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top