Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2003 9:54:07 AM EDT
got this email this morning:

HELLO,

AM MARY,AN AMERICAN BUSSINESS WOMAN THAT TRADE IN DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUCK, LOCATED IN WEST AFRICA..AM INTERESTED IN YOUR TRUCK,PLS LET ME KNOW THE COST AND CONDITION OF THE TRUCK.MY MODE OF PAYMENT WILL BE CASHIER'S CHECK MADE OUT FROM US BANK..GET BACK TO ME ASAP
View Quote

i have a couple trucks listed on a different bulletin board. it seems kind of funny to me that she wants to know the condition and the price, when they are both listed on the website, along with pictures.

i replied:

which one? I have many different trucks for sale right now.
View Quote

she replied:

Thanks for your mail.pls let me know the truck you have for sale,thier cost and condition.thanks and reply asap
View Quote

seems kind of fishy to me. first off they are just parts trucks. i only want a couple hundred a piece for them. they are not worth shipping to africa. nor would i be willing to go through the trouble to ship them to africa. and why does she always want me to reply ASAP?

i seem to remember hearing something about people from africa(or somewhere) sending cashiers checks in very large amounts to pay for soemthing. the deal being if i cash the check and keep a portion of it, then send the rest of the money back to them. the cashiers checks being counterfeit or something like that. either way i'm not going to deal with this lady. what do y'all think?

Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:59:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
From where did the email originate?
View Quote

it is a yahoo email account.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 10:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Ask her to send nude photos of herself as a good faith measure.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 11:02:47 AM EDT
[#4]
He/She may want to send you a (forged) money order that is way over the amount you are asking for the truck and will then ask you to send them the difference.  

They are hoping you will deposit the MO, wire them their funds, and they will have the money before the bank notifies you of the forged money order.  

Go ahead and go through with it up to the point you receive the money order.  Then give the m.o. and any bank/contact info you have to the federales.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks  for your mail.I want the three,the price of the  three should be 1)$250,2)300 and 3)550 which equals to$1100 is ok with me like wise the condition.i will make shipping arrangement with my local shipping agency.Now i will contact a client of mine in the state and tell him to issue you a check  of $6,850 and i will count on you to send back the balance to my shipper via MONEY GRAM MONEY TRANSFER so they can come over to your place and pick up the truck from your location.I know you will wonder why am sending you that much,i would have love you take of the shipping and send the total amount to you but due to clearing of  the truck from the west african customs will be difficult for the both of us,especially you bcos of the language both not to bother the shipper will take care of the whole thing. so i want you to give me the following info so i can forward them to my client and make him prepare the payment...The ! exact name you want on the check,your mailing address and your contact phone #.i will be looking foward to hear from you asap.
View Quote

i emailed "her" back with links to the trucks. this is "her" email back to me today.i knew it was a scam. this is exactly the way i heard it would happen. my wife called the sheriffs office to tell them. they said they'd call back, still haven't heard from them though. i haven't emailed "her" back yet. what should i say if i do? i sure as hell am not going to give them my name or home address.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My job is working and communicating with people from all over the world.

From her typing, I pick up a Russian or old soviet Bloc country accent.

Be cautious, but she just may not speak English very well and needs a truck.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Tell her the deal's on! Send the MO to:

George Bush
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC  20500

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great idea genius.

If you arent going to sell the trucks to africa just tell her that.

The scam you were hearing about was the "Nigerian Banker" thing. If she is really interested you should ask for a Credit Card purchase, you cant fool VISA.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a scam.  I read about it somewhere, but can't find the link now.  NUCULAR has it exactly right.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I read the same scam but it was a snowmobile on my snowmobile forum.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Great idea genius.

If you arent going to sell the trucks to africa just tell her that.

The scam you were hearing about was the "Nigerian Banker" thing. If she is really interested you should ask for a Credit Card purchase, you cant fool VISA.
View Quote

Ever hear of sarcasm?... I didn't think so.
Go back to sleep, "genius".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Kooter,

My advice, tell her the deal is on.  Search the web and find a link to a website that explains the scam.  Email all your emails to and from her along with the link to yahoo, and let them know what she is trying to pull.

Make sure that you give her a PO Box, or some other non-residential address.  Tell her that her friends that are going to pick up the trucks need to contact you via phone.  Give them a cell not a home #.  When you set up when and where to meet them, have the cops there with you.

Also, hold the MO until the bank checks it out thourghly.

Yahoo, will shut down her email.  Cops will arrest her state side partners.

Too bad you won't be able to contact her when it is over and say!!!

FUCK YOU ASSHOLE!!!!!

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#13]
[RED][B]RED ALERT[/B][/RED]

[B]4-1-9[/B]

[B]4-1-9[/B]

This is yet another Nigerian/African scam...

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:52:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[B]4-1-9[/B]

[B]4-1-9[/B]

This is yet another Nigerian/African scam...

View Quote

WHOOOOP WHOOOOP

Sound the alarm!!

[:D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:02:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Call the Secret Service and see if they're interested in trapping these assholes.  They've been dealing with these West African schemes for years now.

Call your nearest field office:

LEXINGTON 859-223-2358
LOUISVILLE 502-582-5171

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top