Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/13/2003 9:19:45 PM EDT
Been unemployed almost three months. COBRA allows you to continue the insurance you had with your previous employer but the cost to continue my HMO ($300+/month) is prohibitive. What options are there for coverage? Just emergency type stuff until I get another job (and have it for three months...). -Ngog
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 10:13:05 PM EDT by LRdrvr]
Ngog, about 4 years ago I have been in the same situation. Had to bridge over 2 months of unemployment. Sucked! Anyhow I did a search on the internet and went for a reputable but cheap insurer. Much cheaper than cobra - which I didn't even start. I went for an annual deductable of $2200. Quite high, but I wasn't concerned with a $100 doctor visit for the flu; my concerns were more along the risk of sudden illness or surgery. Fall from a step break your shoulder in an awkward way and whoopsie you're $25,000 poorer for the operation. It was a PPO plan too. The HMO counterpart would've been even cheaper, but I don't like people to tell me where I have to go for medical treatment. I think I paid $165 per month for my wife, son and myself. $300 per month for 3 month of unemployment plus the 3 months of grace period from your new employer = 6 months*$300=$1800... YIKES! How about 6*$165=$990... much better! That's a $810 difference. Well, do your own math... Back then I used BlueShield/BlueCross in the PDRK. Best of luck to you!! LRdrvr
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:22:54 PM EDT
Screw it...!!! Dont buy insurance, SPEND THE MONEY ON A NEW GUN...!!! I QUIT MY JOB LAST YEAR AND PAID FOR INS FOR 2 MONTHS ($325.) PER MO. I thought hell, one more payment, could have a NEW AR-15. Cancelled the M/F and bought a CAMO BUSHIE. This is very good for your health and mental well being, so you cant get sick...!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:30:39 AM EDT
I feel your pain. When I was laid off in July 2001 the COBRA was $600/month for the wife and I, but went up to $1,000/month following the birth of our daughter in November of that year. Needless to say, I canceled it soon after our daughter was born. Considering the hospital bill was $55,000, it worked out better for us than the insurer.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:20:17 AM EDT
Fortis Short Term Major Medical [url]http://www.etdbw.com/fh/fortishealth/index.jsp[/url]
Top Top