Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2003 9:04:30 PM EDT

Yeah, yeah I know - I shouldn't watch it but "Fraiser" is one of the better sitcoms on and I've been watching for a long time. But tonight's episode was utterly insulting (but not at all  unexpected)

Niles (Fraiser's brother) goes with his dad (a retired LEO) to a shooting range. Niles is a pantywaste who hates guns. But then some other shooters there talk to him about the love of the sport, the skill involved and how safe guns and shooting are.

So Niles tries it and really starts to enjoy it. He goes back again and again and is really getting into it. He even rebukes Frasier who labels them as "gun nuts". Niles gives a pretty good defense of the sport, the character it builds and the fact that guns were vital in the founding this nation.

So far so good.... but I know better.

Later, he befriends the guys from the range and arranges to meet them at a gunshow where he starts talking about wanting to buy a gun.

Then the crap starts.

Turns out the guys invite Niles to their "compound in Idaho". Then Niles' father and wife Daphne start saying "they're [i]militia[/i] people" - with a disguted tone like they're desribing a cross between Satanists, NeoNazis and baby-killers [pissed]

They tell Niles that those guys are planning on "overthrowing the government" and then all three of them run out of the gunshow when the "militia guys" start talking about their preparations for the "New World Order".

[V] [puke]

Morale of the story... only cops (retired in this case) should be involved with guns. Everyone else are kooks, "gun nuts" and evil, crazy, violent "militia people".[pissed]

[b]Hollywood[/b] [heavy]

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#1]
People still watch that show?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Actually I USED to watch it but I saw the previews of Niles at the gun range and knew I had to see this one.

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:38:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Since it is a [i]written[/i] show, as oppossed to reality TV, I often watch it.

Pretty dissapointed. We are all crazy militia dudes doncha know. At least they didn't start spouting off Klan rhetoric. They were wearing flannel shirts after all and that is Hollywood code for "klan member."
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

... Everyone else are kooks, "gun nuts" ...[pissed]

[b]Hollywood[/b] [heavy]

View Quote

... You mean that's not the case?
... j/k, I feel your pain bro. Cant hardly watch anything other than History Channel, PBS, Discovery and old war movies any longer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Why were you watching anything on any division of the NBC corporation? I never even watched MSNBC during the war, I had no choice to watch CNN at times, but I never stooped to watching NBC.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 11:13:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 12:52:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:16:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I read the info on the episode and decided to watch it.  Pretty funny, but I was waiting for the other shoe to drop.

As soon as they invited Niles to the compound (just like the Kennedy's!), I turned it off and finished reading the sixth (and should have been the final) book of Dune.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:20:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Kill your TV.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok [img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/141064/tv(2).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Thread Hijack....

"Kill Your TV" and the picture of the shot RCA can be read about [url=http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=d6438e71f1a23e3db2e81bcf6c0a069d&threadid=151159]here.[/url]

Some guy on Glocktalk shot his TV...  On accident...practicing dry firing...
Scott
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:10:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Back to the episode, at first I thought this was going to be a breakthrough for television.  They were all wearing eye and hearing protection at the range.  The principals of BRASS were introduced to Niles.  He would voice out loud, breathe, aim, sight, shoot.  It worked, he hit the target.  Then the guys would coach him to squeeze the trigger, usual stuff.  The guys at the range were the "normal" type you find at ranges.  Guys that are willing to introduce a new shooter to the sport.  So far, so good.

Later on he wanted to go to the range, but the father on the show tells him he gets his fill of shooting by going twice a year.  He then asks Frasier if he wants to go, and says the guys at the club were nice and don't pick on sissies.  So far, so good.

The gun show part is where it fell apart.  The mentioning of the compound, then later the generator.  Soon came freedom from the new world order.  Not good at all!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]
[img]http://members.cox.net/southparkmilitia/images/enemy_TVs.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#14]
That's disappointing.  On a few previous shows, guns have been mentioned in passing in a neutral way.

And we wonder why society thinks that gun owners are crackpots.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw it too. At least it showed Niles and his dad enjoying themselves shooting. And then there was the part where Niles was telling Frasier how much fun it was to concentrate and that it was almost meditative. So, the Idaho BS did suck, but the show wasn't 100% anti. There could still be plenty of folks who saw that and thought, "hey, that really does look like fun".
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That's disappointing.  On a few previous shows, guns have been mentioned in passing in a neutral way.

View Quote

I don't worry too much about it. It pisses me off, but I expect it from Hollyweird. The lines are already drawn. Most people are either the type who believe that crap and are predisposed to it, or the type who possess common sense and know better.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:17:47 AM EDT
[#17]
It's only Hollywood B.S.

Kinda odd since "Frasier" (Kelsey Grammer) is a conservative, or as he say's just right of center/conservative.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

On one old episode, the dad Marty, stated that "Only LEOs should be allowed to own handguns"

All in all, and considering it was NBC and a comedy, I think we came out OK.  90% was very positive.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Kinda odd since "Frasier" (Kelsey Grammer) is a conservative, or as he say's just right of center/conservative.
View Quote

He is, but I don't think that he writes the script.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Fuck the show.

Fuck the writers.

Fuck the network.

Fuck the actors if they do it.

This is what is WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY !!!!

Some shitheads in Hollywierd put on their personal propaganda to suit their personal vendettas.

FUCK THEM ALL !

Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Dude. Don't hold back. Just let it all out. Nice and easy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#22]
It could be worse...

At least he didnt accidentaly shoot someone because the gun was "defective".

Also WTF were you doing watching that show? Just wondering. :)
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:19:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I love my TV. It is my friend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top