Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/13/2003 6:25:17 PM EDT
This board has been out all day, its barely functioning now, yet we have a ENORMOUS number of guests. What is going on? Why are they here? Why weren't they locked out while the sight was trying to get back on its feet? And are they real guests or is this a denial of service attack?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:32:58 PM EDT
We definitely need some kind of limit. This is just plain painful.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:42:07 PM EDT
Because we're celebrating diversity? cynic
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:53:46 PM EDT
They need to register, join, or go away. I'm not paying my hard..... wait, this membership was a gift. FWIW, I think they need to register if they're going to lurk. JMO, TS
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 6:55:22 PM EDT
I thought that, back when the $20 membership was introduced, that a 1000-guest limit was imposed... what happened to that?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:04:28 PM EDT
this sucks, it is a denial of service attack
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:09:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 9:43:04 PM EDT by DvlDog]
im afraid this site may be growing a little too fast. theres been a huge influx of kids and younger adults that either do not or cannot own AR15s. im really afraid of the ARFCOM membership turning into the inane idiots that are the majority on other gun boards. perhaps its time to institute some kind of a sponsorship polocy for new members.... not trying to start any crap im just trying to be contructive. i want to see my favorite website survive and thrive without turning into another ASSWEB.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:30:10 PM EDT
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/141064/armchairrambo(2).jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:31:23 PM EDT
Yes, it is almost useless for me any more...with my dial-up connection it is WAY too painful. I miss it, but it is too much. I guess I won't be renewing again when it comes up [:(] I still appreciate all the hard work you guys put into running it!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 7:32:26 PM EDT
AHHHH!!! Attack of the Geek with Guns!!
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 8:36:02 PM EDT by mmx1]
Originally Posted By DvlDog: im afriad this site my be growing a little too fast. theres been a huge influx of kids and younger adults that either do not or cannot own AR15s. im really afraid of the ARFCOM membership turning into the inane idiots that are the majority on other gun boards. perhaps its time to institute some kind of a sponsorship polocy for new members.... not trying to start any crap im just trying to be contructive. i want to see my favorite website survive and thrive without turning into another ASSWEB.
View Quote
Now hold it... I'm not sure what the "huge influx" is. Sniper_Wolfe, Elad_Eflow, Combat_Jack, Spade, Citabria, and Super Chicken have all been here a while (longer than the last few months), though it appears they've been more vocal lately. They're the only younger members that I can recall off the top of my head, excepting myself. I don't own a single gun, because of where I live. I came here two years ago as a disinterested conservative interested in learning more about an issue I'd only known from a political perspective. Two years later, I've learned a ton from you folks, and the shooting sports have become a (though mostly vicarious for now) hobby for me as well as a political issue. Two years later, I am still unarmed, and will remain so until I move off campus housing. By the looks of it, I'll be here another two years until I graduate and move on, and short of a complete overhaul of city government(and hell freezing over), owning an AR-15 will be illegal for me (or anyone else here). Is that really my fault? (Okay, I perhaps should have factored gun laws into my choice of schools - my bad) Am I one of those inane idiots that you see on the other gun boards? I would hope not. If so, don't be shy in letting me know. We whippersnappers need a little guidance now and then, don't we? I try to contribute, both through postings and as a paid member. Clearly, I've quite a bit to learn about firearms, but I try to contribute my own bit on politics, tech stuff, and other such things. I see what you're getting at, though. The membership has been a bit edgy lately, and the arguments more flamefests than discussions. Perhaps more public airing of our concerns will convince all of us to post with a cooler (and more sober) head. The friendly and helpful folks on this board brought me over to the shooting sports before I fired a single gun. I think that we are a good influcence and would encourage more folks to discover this site, rather than fewer. And if they turn out to be inane idiots, only then should we point to the door and indicate that their time might be better spend on other boards. Oh, cyanide's DOS theory isn't that farfetched. That we, FA, and GT would all go down at the same time is more than a little fishy. Edit: I am my own spelling nazi.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:41:43 PM EDT
My tin-foil hat is on firmly about the mutiple sites going down, but you can leave GT off the list. Eric is relocating and putting up a new server, that's why they're off-line. I have no idea what's up with FA. We'll have to see what Goatboy has to say about this most recent problem. I'm not worried about the influx of newer people. You have to start at post #1 on any board you join and learn the dynamics of a community. I would like to see the number of guests allowed to browse reduced if that's causing members to be denied access.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:48:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:52:01 PM EDT
Right now there are 232 members and 1122 browsers. I don't mind the guests on a normal day but not when the site is recovering. And the HUGE number of browsers is more than double normal. This took me two tries to post.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 8:57:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TigerStripe: They need to register, join, or go away. I'm not paying my hard..... wait, this membership was a gift. FWIW, I think they need to register if they're going to lurk. JMO, TS
View Quote
I must agree, they should either take the time to register or take a hike. The forums should be for registered members only
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:03:22 PM EDT
I got my buddy to register, you guys will like him...hes a cop.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:03:55 PM EDT
I do not, however, see any problems with at least asking folks to register. Geez, I do it for a lot of other sites out there, is this too much of a hassle?
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:36:34 PM EDT
Now we are down to 187 members and a even 1200 "guests". That is suspicious.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:45:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/13/2003 9:52:21 PM EDT by LoginName]
Haven't you heard? Assault weapons are back in the news!!!! Last time it was Malvo, Muhammed and Moose... now it's Feinstein, Schumer and Conyers.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 9:49:27 PM EDT
MMX1, i really should have elaborated. a good solid member is a good solid member and guys like S-wolfe, C-jack and super-chicken are good members. but there have been a lot of dummies around here lately. i just want to see this place continue to be the smartest gun board on the web. as a professional in the field i can say that we should rule out the possability we're getting DOSsed. only GB knows for sure because he has the logs. i would defintely consider taking this issue up with my GSP if i were him.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:37:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/14/2003 1:42:30 AM EDT by 199]
While I don’t care for a slow board, we always need new members. And I suspect many new members start out as lurkers. And, especially with the upcoming renewal of the AWB, we need to attract as many potential supporters as possible!!! Plus, I doubt many things kill a site faster than lack of traffic. Ultimately, we need more traffic, not less! Edited to add that right now it’s 5:24 AM EST and we have 57 members and 1057 guests – so I gotta think the counter has once again gone haywire!!
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 1:58:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:12:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DvlDog: perhaps its time to institute some kind of a sponsorship polocy for new members.... not trying to start any crap im just trying to be contructive. i want to see my favorite website survive and thrive without turning into another ASSWEB.
View Quote
I agree. Sponsorship would be a good idea. It will be interesting to see what goatboy has to say about this one. (All the IP addresses might be coming from the HCI headquarters...) You can sponsor someone when you get to 200 posts. (?) You can be a bronze member at 500 (?) I realize that would cut down on revenue, but there is a reason for #2...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:07:53 AM EDT
It appears tha tthe number of guests has not fallen below 1000 since this madness started, strange...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:27:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
Originally Posted By DvlDog: perhaps its time to institute some kind of a sponsorship polocy for new members.... not trying to start any crap im just trying to be contructive. i want to see my favorite website survive and thrive without turning into another ASSWEB.
View Quote
I agree. Sponsorship would be a good idea. It will be interesting to see what goatboy has to say about this one. (All the IP addresses might be coming from the HCI headquarters...) You can sponsor someone when you get to 200 posts. (?) You can be a bronze member at 500 (?) I realize that would cut down on revenue, but there is a reason for #2...
View Quote
I disagree with those criteria for membership. There are those of us like myself that do far more reading than posting. Grandpa always said, "You learn more by listening than you do by talking." And he was right. How would you propose someone like myself who didn't know a soul on this board when I signed up go about getting sponsored? I choose to support the site monetarily with my membership, and base the value of what is posted by it's content, not the author's post count. Using post count as a criteria for membership would make AR15.com more like a clique (as in high school b.s.) than an internet message board in my humble opinion. If bandwidth or server load is an issue, require membership to browse the forums, with features added for each tier of paying membership. Last, but not least, Limit the number of Guests. Other message boards require registration (subject to approval) before allowing you to browse the board. This is a great site. I'm sure we all want to keep it that way, but let's not get up so high on our collective horses that we "exclusive-ize" ourselves right out of existence.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 4:46:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By paratrooper318:
Originally Posted By Mugzilla:
View Quote
View Quote
I disagree with those criteria for membership. There are those of us like myself that do far more reading than posting. Grandpa always said, "You learn more by listening than you do by talking." And he was right. How would you propose someone like myself who didn't know a soul on this board when I signed up go about getting sponsored? I choose to support the site monetarily with my membership, and base the value of what is posted by it's content, not the author's post count. Using post count as a criteria for membership would make AR15.com more like a clique (as in high school b.s.) than an internet message board in my humble opinion. If bandwidth or server load is an issue, require membership to browse the forums, with features added for each tier of paying membership. Last, but not least, Limit the number of Guests. Other message boards require registration (subject to approval) before allowing you to browse the board. This is a great site. I'm sure we all want to keep it that way, but let's not get up so high on our collective horses that we "exclusive-ize" ourselves right out of existence.
View Quote
I agree with paratrooper318, I have less than 200 posts, but have been here alot longer than some with thousands of posts. No big deal, I just don't post as much as some. I payed for a bronze membership, because I felt I owed this place at least that, probably more. I do wonder why some people with very high post counts, don't at least have a bronze membership though? Turn it around and say if you have "X"# of post you must have "X" level of membership. [;)] Hell, I don't know, I do wish we could come to some sort of terms for usage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:46:04 AM EDT
SOunds like a DOS attack. AR15.com is getting more notice out there. One of the secure police tactical boards has had several references to here lately for good information on .223 ammo selection, and some of the officers have apparently been dropping by the technical sides for information.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:49:20 AM EDT
Well, I disagree with new members having to be sponsored. This is the Internet, not an Elks club. How are people supposed to be sponsored? Meet someone in a chat room? I think the best answer is to require a log-in before you can access the site. It eliminates lurkers, encourages registration, and speeds everything up. It should become the permanent policy of the site.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 6:43:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl: Now we are down to 187 members and a even 1200 "guests". That is suspicious.
View Quote
I use a proxy to access from work because the site is blacklisted. For the last couple of days I'd login to the board, come to GD, and then not be logged in anymore. I'd enter my info in again, and be sent back to the main page again, to repeat over and over again. I don't know if it's happened to anyone else, but the board doesn't deal well with my particular proxy. Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 2:54:26 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eswanson: Well, I disagree with new members having to be sponsored. This is the Internet, not an Elks club. How are people supposed to be sponsored? Meet someone in a chat room? I think the best answer is to require a log-in before you can access the site. It eliminates lurkers, encourages registration, and speeds everything up. It should become the permanent policy of the site.
View Quote
[b]AMEN[/b] [^]
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:05:11 PM EDT
SOME of those "lurkers" may be registered members that just haven't logged-in. I don't log-in unless I have something to say (or if I'm prompted to). CR
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:46:56 PM EDT
If who ever runs this place would look at the SOURCE IP'S it would finger the culprits. Stop Speculating! Its probably some Korean or Chinese denial of service attacks. This has been going on two days now, it could be alot of different things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:47:40 PM EDT
If who ever runs this place would look at the SOURCE IP'S it would finger the culprits. Stop Speculating! Its probably some Korean or Chinese denial of service attacks. This has been going on two days now, it could be alot of different things.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:55:43 PM EDT
Atta boy, Gaspain, you tell 'em! Twice.
Top Top